Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am leaving in a couple of hours for a business trip and I won't return until late Friday. I used to be a "road warrior" and traveled 80% of the time. When I became a road warrior, I was about 15 pounds smaller than I am now and was a real gym rat. Being on the road destroyed my disciplined exercise and eating habits - and over the next two years I became a 125 pound heavier couch potato.

So, this is my first long business trip since being sleeved almost 9 months ago. I have made plans on how to get my Protein in, what to eat for Breakfast, etc. I will record everything I eat and drink. But I am a little scared. It is SO EASY to make poor choices when travelling.

Anyway - I wanted to post this so I would have accountability to you guys to post an update on how I did after the trip. I WILL DO JUST FINE. (repeat to self periodically).

Thanks for all the support I get from this forum - it really helps me keep focused

Sharon

Good luck Sharon ... no that I think you'll need it... you sound very prepared, focused and determined not to get into your old habits.

Just remember how far you have come... safe journey(s)! =]

You got this girl!! I am on the road 2 weeks a month, so I can totally relate! You're going to do great, you've made a plan which is the biggest mistake I think most people overlook.

I now make sure I have Jerky, string cheese, Protein shakes, Atkins bars at all times just so I'm not caught un-prepared. I usually buy one of those cardboard coolers for like $5 and hit a Trader Joe's right from the airport. If I have to make a quick stop for lunch the Alfresco tacos from Taco Bell aren't that bad with some pintos and cheese, or I'll do a grilled chix sandwich sans the bread.

In the hotel, I also start my day off with a bunch of jumping jacks (like a 100 or so) and make sure I get in a good 30-45 minute walk at lunch (I"ve been known to stop the car ANYWHERE for a walk break) Even though I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day, I make myself do 20 min on the treadmill doing intervals. (walk 2 min, run 30 sec, walk 2 min, run 60 sec, repeat) It's the quickest way to get my heart rate up AND get the excercise out of the way. Then you can soak all that crappy (but oh-so-good) hotel cable tv up guilt free.

Good Luck, you'll do great!

You will do great, you have a plan, and you're thinking about it. I had to open this because this is one of my worries too. I travel about once a month, usually (and have come to Plano twice in the last few months :) :) ) and am worried about how I will manage travel eating post sleeve, particularly if I have to travel in the first six weeks post sleeve? Anyone had to do this? Anyway, not to hijack, but just wanted to say its good you posted it to be accountable, and you'll do great as a result.

PS -- Sunny days -- cardboard coolers? what are those and where do you get them?

Thank you Coops, SunnyDays, and LoserMomma for the support and suggestions. Got back from my trip last night about midnight. Stepped on the scale this morning - and I weighed the same as when I left. YEA! I didn't expect to lose - just stay the same - so I met my expectations. It wouldn't surprise me if I lost a pound this next week, once my body realizes it's back home.

The place I stayed had a fridge and a micro in the room (Holiday Innn Express) - so that made the trip easier - no need to get a cooler and keep stuff iced. I took some baby bell cheeses with me and some individual servings of Jerky, and some nectar Protein powder individual servings, and some Miralax & Benefiber individual servings. I also threw in a box of assorted crystal lite/propel Water flavor packets and one foil pack of tuna and salmon each. I stopped and got a four-pack of EAS Protein shakes and 4 Protein Bars as soon as I got to the town where my hotel was - and a few bottles of Water. So I was good to go - no need to worry I would get caught without Protein and have to eat junk.

Some meals ate at restaurants with work associates - one pretty fancy place and a variety of other places. As I was reading the menus, I found myself looking for protein and veggies. Most any place you can find some choice that is protein with some kind of veggies. I have always thought of a menu as a list of suggestions, so I would basically order what I wanted and see if they could do it. Overall, I was pleased with my ability to find something to eat and to stick with eating what I should. I did eat a couple of things that weren't optimum - but only a bite or two.

The trip was to attend two classes - so all week was in classroom settings. As I would have a snack mid morning and mid afternoon (cheese or 1/2 of a protein bar) I observed the rest of the room. A bunch of the normal / slender people in the room were also having Snacks at the same time. They didn't eat junk - it was ususally yogurt, or fruit or some kind of granola/healthy "bar". It reinforced to me the way we sleevers are supposed to eat is HOW NORMALLY THIN PEOPLE EAT.

I did fine on getting in all my water / liquid. I didn't do as good at recording everything I ate - it was spotty. And, I didn't get in as much exercise as I should have. Sunny Days - I need to borrow a page out of your book and do better at that on my next trip.

So I think overall, I would give my performance a passing grade - but room for improvement on the next trip.

Thanks again

Sharon