Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!! Vacation after VSG may be bad idea? Advice?

I am so excited about getting this sleeve yet terrified at the same time. Once I complete my last two appointments I was advised my surgery would be Jan/Feb. Only thing I'm worried about is I'm scheduled to take a 2 week trip next July to Thailand and I'm afraid I will be miserable still adjusting to my new stomach. So my question is how long does it take for the stomach to heal where you can eat ok things? I'd hate to have lose out on money and cancel the trip if I won't be able to enjoy anything. Of course I know I can't eat like I used to but I don't want to have to pack shakes to eat the whole trip.

Just worried :frown5:

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Miss Tx, Even if you have surgery in Feb, you'll be between 4 and 5 months post op by July. I think you'll be fine and have a good handle on your eating, not to mention many pounds lighter, which will makes traveling SO much easier.

I'm 2.5 months post-op and I wouldn't hesitate to take a vacation. Oh, wait, I DID take a quick vacation last month. I drove nearly 3,000 miles to see family and had no issues with finding foods I could eat. I even ate "normal" food at their house, which is back in the boonies.

You'll be fine for your vacation.

Good luck on your journey!! :)

Hi! I asked the exact same question and someone even said they felt they could run a marathon at 4 months! You will do great.

I'm on my phone and it's harder to get you the link but the title is something like " whip out your crystal balls". Lol. Have fun! It will be a wonderful trip!!!

Sounds like you will be 5-6 months out from surgery for the vacation. I've traveled at lot since my VSG almost 6 months ago. I do pack Protein powder when I travel - but it's just my backup. Everyone's journey is different, but I think you will be fine. Your energy should be really good by then too. I took longer than some to get my energy back, but by about 4 1/2 months, I felt better than ever.

When I travel, I track Protein and fluids using a sticky note pad I keep in my purse. I just jot down the approximate grams of protein at each meal and make a hash mark for each cup of Fluid I drink. I try to get 64 oz. of fluids and 60 grams of protein. If I don't get enough protein, I drink a Protein shake at the end of the day. I pack a shaker bottle, instant Starbucks Italian Roast Decaf, a scoop and vanilla Protein Powder. I mix the vanilla Protein Powder with Water and the instant coffee. Tastes OK and it's super easy and compact for travel. And powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein powder is even more compact - just pack it and a scoop and stir it into warm Water. I also pack something to treat Constipation. I keep it under control pretty good at home, but on the road it usually hits me.

Have a fun trip- it will be a lot nicer being smaller in the airplane seat!

Lynda

Thank you very much ladies for the advice. I can't wait to travel and be smaller. I've been to Europe back and forth this summer and the thing I dread is the airplane seats and praying no one is sitting next me. It will feel good to be lighter and seat comfortably. Also the walking everywhere will be easier and I won't slow everyone down. I climbed a MASSIVE hill in Portgual this summer and I was so winded and in pain I was in bed the next day from the aftermath. Was so awful! I'm so excited now about the new me that will be traveling, plus I'll be able to shop in Thailand.

I am officially 4 mos today, and I can eat everything, and I'm full of energy. Honestly I think you will be ok, if it was a month or 2 after surgery, then I wouldn't suggest it. Go and have a ball, also stay in tune with your body.. if something changes ask your doctor. Have fun me lady.

Chanel

Thanks for asking this question! I hadn't thought about that part... I have thought about how good it will feel to not worry about buckling the stinkin airplane seatbelts that are made for skinny people! ;)

I always feel embaressed when I have to ask for a seatbelt extender and when im practically in pain from the armrest digging in my thighs on a packed flight. Even more embaressing when the tray thing won't go all the way down. I love to travel and I just can't wait to be weight free of the worries I have about if I'm going to one day get kicked off the flight for being too fat.

We took a vacation when I was about six weeks out from surgery. I had absolutely no problems at all. I really didn't worry much about what I ate etc but I did have my Protein Bars handy. The amazing thing is that I actually lost 3 lbs that week I was on vacation. You can do it easy at 4 - 5 months out. You'll love the difference that you will feel and all the extra energy that you will have. You just won't believe it. Good Luck!!!

Yay for travelling...I'm such an addict! I travel for work too, so I was back flying about 1 month out. Take the advice of some pre-planning, I still pack some Atkins bars and beef Jerky just in case.

For vacationing: I took my Grandpa on a road trip at 3 mos and we had the time of our lives! Singing and telling stories for a 4-day weekend, it was the best!! We also had a 3-week trip to Greece and Turkey planned at about 3.5-4 mos post-op and of course had an amazing time! We ate fresh, local cuisine and walked EVERYwhere! It was the first true vacation that I lost weight...10 lbs!!

You'll do fantastic, Thailand is of my favorite destinations. ENJOY!!!

im 3 months out now and would love to go on vacation right now, i think you will be fine.

i totally know what you meant by the seats on those airplanes. it totally sucked the last time i flew because i was so huge and squished in the seat. i could feel the people next to me hating me because i was so big and making them uncomfortable too. cant wait till the next time i can go on vacation and be able to sit in a little seat and not have to worry about being to big. :)

By four or five months out your new diet will seem like second nature. I agree with everyone else to pack some Protein bars just to make sure you are getting enough. It might be hard in Thailand to find out the protein content of what you are eating. The worst thing that I have had happen since my surgery is a day that I was really into what I was doing and forgot to drink. I am telling you by the end of that day I was miserable. I can see how that might happen while traveling. Just remember to drink and take in enough protein and you will be fine. Of course don't forget to take lots of pictures and have a lot of fun and don't forget your friends back here. We want to hear all about it when you get home!

I'm so excited now! Can't wait to get sleeved and look fabulous on my vacation :-)

As suggested I would bring some type of Protein powder with you. Don't drink the tap Water, only drink water labels you recognise. I got food poisoning last time I went to Thailand. lol.

I would also suggest beef Jerky or nuts(you can buy them there no problem) to bring with you when you are on outings. I don't know about everyone else, but my tummy feels empty every 2.5-3hrs, and having some small quick protein source with me helps(I tend to get pissy when hungry).

At about 2.5 months out, I took a vacation to Las Vegas for the week. All I packed were some Protein bars, and we ate at regular restaurants. The biggest challenge wasn't finding food I could eat, it was reassuring the wait staff that the food was great even though I only ate a few bites. I expect traveling even further out will be a snap! Have fun!