Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about side effects-Setting date on Monday

I am cleared and got approval from the insurance company and now just have to go in to my surgeons office and actually set the date (thinking January.) I'm nervous after reading some of the comments here...especially about Hair loss. I didn't even know that was something that would happen. Does this happen to everyone or just some people? Saggy skin I was prepared for (well sorta) but i'm starting to get nervous about what other post-op surprises I am in for. I haven't had to diet too much (mostly making better choices and eating smaller portions) because I am just above the threshold for meeting insurance approval. I have a feeling I'm in for a rude awakening. I'm pretty sure I won't chicken out...I can't really afford to given how high my cholesteral is, but I'm just nervous about the "aftermath." Encouragement is certainely welcome!! And anything I should know before I go into this (that the doc will just not tell me about? Like hair loss...)

Don't allow yourself surprises. Do more research than you have ever done. Be sure to take a list of questions when you do go to your doctor. This is a permanent change for your body and you need to start developing good habits now. Hair loss is very common but temporary (I understand 6 mos to a year after). Lots of people find that Biotin helps minimize the hair loss post op.

joiebean, I'm a little over 2 months post-op and haven't noticed any hair loss yet, BUT, I added Biotin to my Vitamin routine on Nov 1st, just in case.

You should really research here and look for symptoms and problems others have had after surgery, just so you can ask your surgeon at pre-op. I'll list my things that happened, although none were really surprises because I'd read so much here beforehand:

Gas pain in shoulder, lasted a couple of days. Walking helps TONS with this.

Pain in chest area because I didn't realize that I was over-filling my sleeve for the first few days. Once I stopped drinking so fast, the pain went away. That was a real DUH moment for me! LOL

Dry skin. I'm using lotion on all of my skin now, not just my face. Since I'm part native American, I'm usually oily skinned. Not sure if this one is surgery related...and I'm drinking all of my Water, so it's not dehydration.

Pain sometimes in my tummy area which I think is like the phantom pains that some folks get when they have body parts amputated. It doesn't really HURT, it's more of an ache. I usually take a Tums when this happens, but it doesn't really help. It's NOT hunger.

You should ask your doctor what he recommends for Vitamins and what is the biggest pill you can take after your surgery. I've switched to chewables on all my Vitamins and my Rx meds are pretty small, way less than 1/4 inch across. Make sure you know your dosage for liquid pain meds if they are prescribed. If it's measured in units you aren't familiar with, make sure you have the pharmacist or doctor give you a unit of measure that you can do after surgery.

Good luck! :)

I am three weeks out and I haven't had any Hair loss. I was told by my surgeon that as long as you got your Protein in you wouldn't have any hair loss. It's normal to be anxious, scared and excited but even at three weeks out I am glad I did it.

All the good totally outweighs the bad. I have had a few sliming episodes, and that's about it! I have not lost any hair, nor had any other unpleasant side effects. I feel great, I can eat a small portion of ANYTHING I want. I look so much healthier and I am so much happier!! And I'm only 3 months out!!!!!

joiebean, I'm a little over 2 months post-op and haven't noticed any hair loss yet, BUT, I added Biotin to my Vitamin routine on Nov 1st, just in case.

You should really research here and look for symptoms and problems others have had after surgery, just so you can ask your surgeon at pre-op. I'll list my things that happened, although none were really surprises because I'd read so much here beforehand:

Pain in chest area because I didn't realize that I was over-filling my sleeve for the first few days. Once I stopped drinking so fast, the pain went away. That was a real DUH moment for me! LOL

Dry skin. I'm using lotion on all of my skin now, not just my face. Since I'm part native American, I'm usually oily skinned. Not sure if this one is surgery related...and I'm drinking all of my Water, so it's not dehydration.

Pain sometimes in my tummy area which I think is like the phantom pains that some folks get when they have body parts amputated. It doesn't really HURT, it's more of an ache. I usually take a Tums when this happens, but it doesn't really help. It's NOT hunger.

You should ask your doctor what he recommends for Vitamins and what is the biggest pill you can take after your surgery. I've switched to chewables on all my Vitamins and my Rx meds are pretty small, way less than 1/4 inch across. Make sure you know your dosage for liquid pain meds if they are prescribed. If it's measured in units you aren't familiar with, make sure you have the pharmacist or doctor give you a unit of measure that you can do after surgery.

Good luck! :smile1:

joiebean, I'm a little over 2 months post-op and haven't noticed any Hair loss yet, BUT, I added Biotin to my Vitamin routine on Nov 1st, just in case.

You should ask your doctor what he recommends for vitamins and what is the biggest pill you can take after your surgery. I've switched to chewables on all my vitamins and my Rx meds are pretty small, way less than 1/4 inch across. Make sure you know your dosage for liquid pain meds if they are prescribed. If it's measured in units you aren't familiar with, make sure you have the pharmacist or doctor give you a unit of measure that you can do after surgery.

joiebean, I'm a little over 2 months post-op and haven't noticed any hair loss yet, BUT, I added Biotin to my vitamin routine on Nov 1st, just in case.

Dry skin. I'm using lotion on all of my skin now, not just my face. Since I'm part native American, I'm usually oily skinned. Not sure if this one is surgery related...and I'm drinking all of my water, so it's not dehydration.

You should ask your doctor what he recommends for vitamins and what is the biggest pill you can take after your surgery. I've switched to chewables on all my vitamins and my Rx meds are pretty small, way less than 1/4 inch across. Make sure you know your dosage for liquid pain meds if they are prescribed. If it's measured in units you aren't familiar with, make sure you have the pharmacist or doctor give you a unit of measure that you can do after surgery.

stupid question, how can you tell when your sleeve is full? Sounds like your stomach being full?

Also i know you have to drink very slllllowly to avoid pain and gas, is that right? Also why does your shoulder hurt?

Can i put ice in my water? I love ice. And can i eat hot stuff too? If not either, can you explain. Thanx kathy

There are NO stupid questions.

I can tell my sleeve is full NOW because I burp when it gets full. If I eat more after that burp, then I will be painfully full. I'd never felt full before surgery, but now I can tell that I'm full, probably over-full, when I can feel some pressure in the middle of my chest.

The shoulder hurts because the gas rises, apparently. It's kind of like having an air bubble in there, but it's painful. Walking helps to distribute the gas and work it out of your system.

Yes, you have to drink very slowly, even more so when you are freshly post-op. I was drinking too quickly and big drinks just after surgery. I quickly figured out that drinking too fast made me hurt. Once I slowed down on the drinking, I felt much better.

I like either hot or cold..and I've had no problem with ice in my drinks. I actually bought a cup of just ice from Sonic one day because I wanted something crunchy, but wasn't allowed anything crunchy yet. Hot broth is one of the few sources of Protein I really liked when I was on liquids.

I can't eat hot/spicy stuff yet. I love it, but Rex (my sleeve) doesn't seem to tolerate hot/spicy food well. food that's hot from cooking doesn't bother me, though. :)

When my sleeve is full I hiccup. I have learned not to eat even one more bite after that or I will be sorry. My hair started falling out at about the 4 month mark and it lasted until month six. I took Biotin. I always met the minimum of 70 grams of Protein per day so I think Hair loss can happen even when you meet your Protein goals.

Prior to surgery, plain Water was my drink of choice. I can barely tolerate it now. I have switched to zero calories enery drinks and crystal light. Ice is fine. In fact, I usually freeze my drinks and drink them as they thaw.

I also find that I need to eat much more slowly than I did prior to surgery, to cut my food into small pieces and chew, chew, chew. This actually helps when eating with a group since I eat less but slowly, I finish at the same time as everyone else.

My food tastes haven't changed that much after surgery. I didn't like chicken before surgery and I still don't like it. I have found that fried foods are not tolerated very well. I have broken my carb addiction for now, but I know that will be a problem for me for life. The more carbs I eat, the more I crave. I do best on a low carb diet.

All the best! Marie.

Someone just told me that chronic diarrhea is a problem. I have never heard this. If it's true is this a long term, meaning permanent, problem? That is scaring me.

I developed a lactose intolerance right after my sugery. I also reacted to pretty much most shakes and Protein products with diarrhea, probably because of the milk. So I struggled a bit finding the right products. My NUT helped me through that. At the mushies stage I could not have cottage cheese, yogurt, most of the things people generally begin to eat. I resigned my self to this new change in my body HOWEVER, now about 5 + months out, I appear to be able to tolearte lactose well. I began trying some yogurt, then cheese, then milk... Right now, I can eat most anything, but I really stick to surgeons rules (protein first, fluids etc). I'm feeling great, lots of energy and no diffulties with intestines or stomach upsets. I've never thrown up and the only time I had some pain was when I ate something way to fast mindlessly - I was really stressed about something that had happened and my mind was elsewhere. It went away within a few minutes after I relaxed. It's a process and we all go through it a bit differently, I think. Best of luck on this journey!!!

Sorry to be the downer on the Hair loss thing but that one poster's doctor was wrong. Since week 2 I've gotten 70-90 grams of Protein a day and 1/2 of my hair is still gone. It can happen to anyone. I had extremely thick hair and now it's on the thin side. But no regrets! I still love my sleeve!