Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery on the 14th.. any tips?

My surgery is this Monday and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for post-op? I am worried about the diet most of all, just making sure i sip the right amount and getting enough protien in. So any tips would be apreciated. I have been reading everyones stories and they make it alot easier to cope with some of the nervousness but anything can help lol.

Will be somewhat difficult with waking up day after surgery getting kids ready for school and animals fed, hubby wont be able to stay home to help as much since we have Disney World in March to go to and He needs all his vacation days, BUT i have seen lots have even gone back to work a few days after surgery. So hopefully all will go well.

Thanks in advanced for any tips shared. I am sooo excited/nervous to get my sleeve started in just a few days, and to see the pounds come off and my energy boost up. I am always just tired feeling and never want to go out and enjoy the world.

hey! im sorry my response has nothing to do with your thread but i have to say it...

i love reading & responding to every post! especially ones with headlines like this! but, when the font is in fancy writing like urs & light colors, i literally cant make out the words. the print is so thin that its hard for me to read. :(

anytime i open a post & its not in standard text, i just close it and move on. not telling you to change it because of me... just saying that some of us blind bats may not reply because we cant read what it says! but good luck on your surgery! <3

Don't worry about the sipping thing or getting enough Protein just yet, you will not be able to get enough Protein the first day or two, don't sweat it...as as far as sipping, it will take some "practice", your body will give you the best feed back. Until then, get a bunch of those medicine cups, my hospital gave me a ton of them!! i used them to "judge" my sips, but like i said, it will be difficult the first day or two...

Not sure how you are doing the kid/pet thing the day after surgery...I have not heard of ANYONE having surgery and getting home the same day...I guess it is possible, but Idunno...the day after surgery is typically making sure your ok and most importantly, NO leaks...I was still fairly medicated the next day...you may want to consider making other arrangements...

good luck...

weight.png

surgery date: Oct 12, 2011

my surgery is the 14th too! Are you on a liquid diet? Im on day 7 and still having a hard time getting it all in....it makes me nervous that I wont be able to drink what I should once I'm sleeved!

I just had my surgery a week ago today and feeling pretty good. I think I've been very fortunate and lucky throughout this whole process. But I also prepared as much as I could well before the surgery and it has paid off. I'm back at work today and the thing that I wasn't as prepared for is the massive loss of muscle weight I've had. I was on Clear liquids the day before surgery and for a few days after surgery and that lack of Protein just zapped my muscle away. But I can tell that I'm coming out of it and getting plenty of my Protein drinks and Water the last few days which has helped. Good luck!!!

weight.png

My doctor didn't put me or my sis on any diet, we went in for consultation and then made our surgery date think like week and a half later. Thank you for the tips. Kids and animals are taking care of the days i am at hospital, jus on the 3rd day and on will be an obstacle but I know it will be fine. oh and sorry bout the pretty colors lol I love fancying it up sometimes lol

My surgery is on the 15th and I'm a nervous wreck!! Don't get me wrong, I'm so very excited, but just nervous...

I was sleeved 10/18 and I think the best advice I can give is not to overdue it too soon. I have a 2yr old, 10 yr old and 13 yr old and I tried to get back into the ol' routine a little to fast. Bending will feel awkward and will feel tender...getting help with laundry was a huge help. I agree with the others, don't worry at first about getting all of your liquids and Protein in. Sip what you can and walk when you can and you'll be fine. Good luck to you!!!

1. Do as much family prep as you can. Make meals and freeze them. Buy things that are easy to pack for lunches, even if they cost a little more. Wash clothes, get hair cuts, wash the dogs. Whatever you can do now to make life easier on yourself. If kids are old enough to go to school, can they feed the animals for you? Buy some busy-time toys, color books etc. for the kids. Hide them and dole them out after surgery to buy yourself a little peace.

2. First couple of days, if it hits the floor, don't pick it up. You may feel better, but for me, I hurt if I tried to bend over.

3. Use a measuring cup as pitcher and a one ounce medicine cup or a shot glass as your drinkng glass. Keep an eye on the clock and down an ounce every 15 minutes.

4. Make sure you have a couple of nighties. I didn't want anything touching my tummy after surgery. Only wore my stretchy pants if I was leaving the house.

Good luck on Monday. I will be thinking of you!

Lynda

Ty you all for the advice and ty Lynda too. I hope all goes well. I leave tommorrow evening to stay in hotel so we wont have to get up at like 2 am to drive. Have all my stuff ready to go when i get home and will remeber not to try to be perfect with routine the first few days lol,. Surgery date set at noon! Anyone else date is same or right after good luck to you !!

I think I'm all ready too!! I have to be on the road by 3:45am, so I know I will be afraid to sleep tonight for fear of over sleeping!! Good Luck LeLe & sis....and also to VSGme!!

its ok!! im not blind but on my iphone, i just cant make out the words to save my life. the letters are too narrow & close together & then the light color too, YIKES!!!!! id be here all day. lol. im 23, you would think my font would be like that too. lol.

My doctor didn't put me or my sis on any diet, we went in for consultation and then made our surgery date think like week and a half later. Thank you for the tips. Kids and animals are taking care of the days i am at hospital, jus on the 3rd day and on will be an obstacle but I know it will be fine. oh and sorry bout the pretty colors lol I love fancying it up sometimes lol

PiP good luck sweetie am sending prayers to you for your surgery and definately after with all the new changes.

I think I'm all ready too!! I have to be on the road by 3:45am, so I know I will be afraid to sleep tonight for fear of over sleeping!! Good Luck LeLe & sis....and also to VSGme!!

Thank you so much!!

Walk as much as you can!!...I didn't feel like walking but discovered that the more I walked, the better I felt and I truly believed I would not have been ready to go home had I not started walking.