Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just found out that I have a thyroid nodule that is causing me to have an overactive thyroid. Just wondering if anyone else has had this and what your experience was like....

I was just diagnosed with 2 nodules on my Thyroid a couple of weeks ago. The plan is for the sleeve surgery to happen and then a few weeks later they will do a biopsy. The endrcronologist says that only 5% are cancerous and treating those are not a big deal - radioactive iodine is used, not chemo.

I hope this is helpful, and please follow up with what you find out and how you are doing.

Hi there!

I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago because I had numerous nodules. I did the biopsies and they came back as inconclusive. It got to the point where I was having a hard time swallowing things like bread and tough cuts of meat. So I had it removed. I am so glad I had that done. As mine had cancerous cells. I did not have to have the radiation treatment done because the cancer cells were all inclusive. I do take a small pill every day, but I can tell you it was totally worth removing! I was able to eat regularly again afterwards. Just know that the biopsy is not a fun experience but it doesn't last very long. I also had a plastic surgeon remove mine so you can't even see the scar now.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help answer them.

Good Luck!

Nichole

I have a 2cm one my surgeon found on my first visit. Not sure why my GP didn't find it prior to that. I had a biopsy and all was good. I just need to keep an eye on to make sure it doesn't get any bigger.

I am out from surgery 8 years. I just discovered I have 2 nodules on my thyroid. I found out because the only value that was elevated was my PTH, it was 125 which was almost twice what it should have been. The funny thing is that my Calcium was normal, and so was my thyroid values. I had three biopsies. The first two were inconclusive. The Third one done at an ENT office, showed the biopsy of the parathyroid was normal, and the ENT said that there was not cancer. This is fine, I am good at watching the nodules. The only problem is; my swallowing has become difficult. My voice is also affected (horse, squeaky and breathy). I also believe my breathing is effective, even though my oxygenation, is normal. It does seem that I have to work harder at getting air in and out. My question is because of the surgery, could my lab values be normal, because the malabsorbition issues that bariatic patients have. I was wondering because my symptoms don't fit into a nice little box that most people with my problems have.