Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

abdominal binder?

I am less than a month away until surgery(yay!) and have been trying to get everything I need to prepare. One item I wasn't sure about and wanted input on is an abdominal binder or girdle type of a thing. Did any of you use one post op? Is it helpful? My surgeon's office didn't mention anything about needing one. I have an appt next week and will ask. I just wanted to check in and see if there were any thoughts on this.

Thank you,

Gina

I wore one. I went to my local Wal Mart and got a wide abdominal support belt (like warehouse workers might wear) that closed with velcro straps. I wore it once I was home from the hospital. It really made me feel more comfortable - when I was walking around and particularly when I would get up or down from the recliner or the bed. I wore it all the time for the first couple of weeks, during the day for the third week, and if I was going to do anything where I thought a might strain myself for about another month.

I didn't have one, but I think that it would've been great to have had one. For at least a week, maybe two, I stayed hunched over when I walked while pushing a pillow against my abdomen.

Hi Gina! The hospital gave me one that just wrapped around and velcrod together which was nice because it was adjustable and right after my surgery i was very swollen. It helped me SO much. It's kind of a strange feeling after surgery... the best way I can describe it is that my whole abdomen felt like a bag of marbles... like everything was loose. I wore it all the time, even when I was sleeping. It helped so I could lay on my side without it feeling like everything was moving. That feeling only lasted a couple weeks. I do still wear a "suck it in thing" as I call it... bacially those compression underwear that go up to my ribs. I only wear that because it flattens my belly and helps my love handles go away. Now my mom just had surgery last month in MX and I gave her my wrap they gave me in the hospital and she never used it. She didn't have that feeling that everything was loose... So maybe you won't need it, but very good to have just in case. Good Luck with your surgery!! It's the best thing EVER!!

Hi Gina!

My hospital had one available if you ask for it. I requested one not knowing how it would work. I was very glad I did. It wrapped around my mid-section and was secured with a velcro flap. When I got up to walk it was such a nice support. Just as Flygirl said, things feel weak and loose. The binder really helped. However, after several days I no longer needed it.

Also, do get a small firm pillow. Coughing and sitting up was much easier. I'm 23 days out and I still brace my tummy when I sneeze or cough.

You will be so glad you did this. All the best to you on your surgery and recovery!

Thank you everyone for the input and well wishes. I will definitely look into getting one :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches