Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sipping and Spirometers

Morning all, how you are all off to a fabulous Tuesday.

Today's question is... How do you sip? What are the guidelines? I intend to ask my nutritionist when I see her on the 23rd, but with surgery December 5 I just want to start practicing. How did you go about sipping? How long should one spend drinking one ounce? (I've got the top of a cough medicine bottle I can use.)

Also, I don't know if you are able to get your hands on one or not, but I totally recommend getting an incentive spirometer if you can get one. My sister is a nurse and I work with a bunch of respiratory therapists so they managed to get one for me. I've been practicing with it and I can feel it working my lungs! Getting my lungs in good shape for my PFTs on the 17th!

I was given medicine cups after surgery and I probably should have used them longer than I did. I also like someone else's advice about using a teaspoon for drinking and spacing out the spoonfuls a few minutes apart. That's a genius idea!

The spirometer (I didn't know the name of that "thingy") I used for several days after I got home, then my pulmonologist told me to quit using it for reasons unrelated to surgery. I have mild asthma and there was some conflict betwen the way you use a spirometer and the meds/inhalers I use. By that point, I could get the balls up where they wanted them consistently anyway. DO NOT QUIT USING YOUR SPIROMETER UNLESS YOUR DOC TELLS YOU TO DO SO, please.

It's great that you're using the spirometer now to help improve your lung function! I'd have never thought to do that.

Good luck!!

I seen somewhere, that a Dr. recommended blowing, like 20 small ballons up ( I believe like several times a day) for the 2 weeks, prior to surgery. Stressing do not to reuse the ballons, in order to strength your lungs.

I'm glad you posted this because I have been worried about sipping as well. I am a huge gulper. I try to sip now while I am pre op but I always end up gulping. I'm pretty sure after surgery I will have a rude awakening when I gulp and end up in pain. That will probably teach me lol.

A sippy cup could work while I'm at home, but no way can I do that once I have to work! I am trying to tell as few people at the office as possible! I even installed my own little mini fridge so no one asks questions about all the milk I have been using for my shakes!

The spirometer idea came about because I've had a cold for over a week and my sister (who is a nurse) said that a spirometer would help me clear my lungs out faster because it would trigger coughing right now. Then I asked her if it would help improve my PFT tests because I am a reformed smoker (about 6 weeks!) and I want to do well on them. She said it would help, so into the warehouse at work I went and grabbed one. (I work for a respiratory DME company.) It is challenging to regulate a breath to make the little ball stay up for 3-5 seconds... I would recommend everyone getting their hands one one prior to surgery if they can. Ask your doctor, or call a DME company to see if you can purchase one as they shouldn't be very expensive.