Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting my VSG Journey...

Hello all! I'm Stefanie, and I just found out a week ago that I was approved as a candidate for Bariatric Surgery. Ever since I've been looking into the surgery options, I've liked the idea of the Sleeve Surgery.

I have my first appointment on Thursday and I'm really nervous. The Office I am going through requires a 6month pre-diet managed program.

Issue:

I'm so afraid I will fail! I love food :) I hate to say it, but I do. I'm a working mom and I struggle as a new wife to an imperfect husband! Food is my escape, always has been. I'm the kind of woman who can do things when I have to- preparing just isn't much fun! So I know when the time comes and I have the surgery and my diet HAS to change- that it won't be a problem... but the losing weight before- w/ all of my stressors, is just making me nervous.

I've lost weight before, around 30lbs 4yrs ago... I ended up getting pregnant. I have PCOS, so when I lost weight, my hormones increased and BOOM, I have my daughter- and after a 9month struggle to breastfeed and everyone telling me to eat more to produce more, I now weigh more than I ever have in my life... even passed what was my highest point when I went to give birth to my daughter.

Anyways- anyone have any ideas on how I can trick my brain to kick out these "I want everything now, because I don't know what I will be able to eat after" thoughts?

Thanks!

Stefanie, I don't know how to convince you not to have a "food funeral", because it seems that most of us do it. Just remember that you WILL be able to eat on the other side, just not as much. And, there will be some time where you will not be able to eat solids, but it will pass way more quickly than you think. I did nearly 8 weeks (including pre-op) of Clear liquids, then full liquids, then mushies. It's worth it in the long run.

Try not to gain between now and when your pre-op diet starts. That's my only advice.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to VST. :)

The pre-op stuff is hard, no doubt about it. From what I have read and researched I have found out that the harder you work before your surgery the more successful you will be after surgery. Try and find out what your stressors are. Like do you eat when you are bored, sad, happy, with friends and family, etc.

I do all of those so now I am slowly trying to work on each one. I'm still stuck on eating just to eat when I am bored. I have a very bad habit of giving into "head hunger" too. You will be fine though, if you push hard and keep looking towards your goal you won't fail. Remember that even if you hit small bumps in the road, those are not failures.

I love food too, and the pre-op liquid preotein diet has been hard on me, but not impossible. I have had some set backs but I have found out so much about myself and why I eat what I eat when I eat it.

The food funeral can get out of hand quickly. You need to get a handle on them as soon as you can because you don't want to gain any substantial weight while on the diet. I have read that some insurance companies/surgeons will postpone your surgery if you gain weight.

Like Lissa said you will be able to eat again, just in smaller amounts. You may find that your tastes change after the surgery and you may not tolerate things you used to love.

Good luck, you will do great just stay determined.