Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I soooo nervous

So I have just finished my blood work. I am struggling with wanting to get the surgery done. First off I am not scared of the surgery, I am not scared to die, I am not scared of anything like that. I am scared of getting the surgery than wanting to pig out but cant. I know how crazy does that sound?

Has anyone felt this way? I am truely scared that there is no going back and I cant have a huge perogy meal if I wanted to. Please help? i am thinking once its done its done no turning back time....

It's true that you will by physically incapable of having a huge pig out on anything after surgery. BUT, your "name" says it all. You are sick and tired of being fat, heavy, obese, whatever term you want to use. You are having or developing health problems and difficulty with walking, exercise, and you're scared that you won't live to see your kids (or grandkids) grow up.

You have to decide which you want more: the ability to pig out and get fatter, or the ability to enjoy a smaller amount of your favorite foods while enjoying a longer life. If you choose to go through with the surgery, you'll have a much longer time to enjoy the good life, while still feeling like LIVING it, instead of watching it pass you by.

I had health problems that made my final decision easy. I hope you don't have health problems, but you will eventually develop them if you continue to gain weight. You've probably tried every diet out there like most of us, and haven't succeeded with the diet plans. THIS is a wonderful tool to help extend your life expectancy.

Good luck, whatever path you choose! :)

Keep in mind all of us pigged out and we eventually stopped when we could fit no more in. You will still be able to have what ever you want, but the stopping will be so much sooner.

Has anyone felt this way??? Uhhhhhhhhhh, Ya, I am sure most of us here have felt that way wheather anyone wants to admit it our not. My biggest fear was losing my "identity". Let me explain. I identified myself, and others identified me as the guy that has the BBQ's, football, basketball parties, superbowl, thanksgiving, xmas, new years, yadda, yadda, yadda...pretty much my entire adult life has been centered around food and booze!!!

So when someone comes around and says you are going to give it up and have a better life, you can understand the "skeptisism"...

But the reality is it was very painfull to lug myself around all day, it was very difficult to be active with my kids, I have high blood pressure, knees and hips that feel like rusty gates and had a stroke 2 years ago...

So lets see....when i weigh (pardon the pun) everything out...it was an absolute no brainer...the reasons I had to not have the surgery where very selfish reasons, or at least thats how I felt. I also strongly believed my clock was ticking...I knew I was headed in the wrong direction and needed help...

Once you come to that realization, the decision is not that difficult...and here is the bonus prize, in the end...YOU ARE STILL THE EXACT SOME PERSON!!

Granted for the first several months, it is a very drastic change, but eventually you get it all back...the only drawback is that "you get it all back", meaning you can regress back to old habits and old ways and end up sickandtired all over again...

Surgery is a great tool but its only a tool, not a savior fix all thing...

Good luck on decision!!!

oh ya, almost forgot, find a good support group and use it!!

surgery date: Oct 12, 2011

weight.png

im LOVING everyones response and i could have not said it better myself.

I had some anxiety over this issue before I had surgery. After having surgery I don't really feel the need or urge to eat huge meals, not that I could hold that much food anyways. I think part of the reason is b/c the Ghrelin Hormone that causes hunger is removed during surgery. I am so glad I had this sleeve surgery. I would never had been able to lose this much weight without it.