Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Change how you cook and what you cook

Hi everyone,

Mix it up when it comes to food. Don’t always keep eating the same things all the time. You will become bored and may go back to some of you old habits. One of the things I had to do for myself was; get rid of foods that would tempt me. NO JUNK foods in the house at all. I learned how to convert some of my old recipes into a healthy recipe.

I used to be a real red meat eater. I found it difficult to chew red meat so many times—remember I had to chew 30 to 40 times before I would swallow it. I found out that chicken, turkey, and fish were much easier to chew and I actually learned a lot of different ways to cook these meats .I also started to eat some veggies that I wasn’t eating before. I now cook my meat on Stoneware. It cooks so well, is very moist and juicy.

Try using some different seasonings or rubs on your meat. You might be surprised at how good the chicken, fish or turkey can taste by using your imagination. Spend a little time looking at others recipes that are posted on these boards. I took some Greek yogurt this morning and added my banana cream Protein power to it, and it was like eating banana cream pudding for Breakfast.< /span>

I am asking you to think outside of the box. Try spaghetti squash and make some spaghetti sauce for it. You will find it very good. This was something I would have never tried before I had WLS. If you have NOT had WLS yet, start trying some different things when it comes to eating.

Now is the time to develop some of these foods and make some new recipes so when the time comes, you will already know some new things that you like and will eat. Having WLS is well worth all the planning and effort you are going to be doing. I had all the things I need to have to survive the first month after Dr. Aceves did my WLS. I was so glad when I got home that I had the foods in place that I was going to be using that 1st month.

Make things easy on yourself. I wish you great success, what I am saying are just suggestions. I do speak from experience because I had my WLS was 3 years ago. I know these things helped me become successful.

Hugs,

Suzanne

such good ideas! except for the greek yogurt... I don't know why but that stuff is totally gross to me.... but it's kind of reassuring that it's difficult to eat red meat because as an ex-vegetarian the only meat I will eat is turkey and chicken and I won't be missing anything.

Do you have anyone else in your house? if so, have they been open to eliminating all the junk food? I worry that my husband won't be able to change as drastically as I am and will either resent not having junk food or bring it in the house anyway.

Hi,

LOL, I have a husband in my house too. He is very supportive of what I have done. So YES, he has eliminated 99% of the junk food that he likes. He has done such a good job of being willing to eat just what I eat--so I only cook one meal for us and--he just eats more than I do. He even lost 25 pounds and was thrilled to be able to do that. He likes what I fix. I used to feel like you do about the Greek Yogurt. Then I found some vanilla Greek yogurt and by mixing my banana cream Protein power in the Greek Yogurt, it really did taste good. You just have to experiment a little. NOT everything that I have tried has turned out that good--I have had my share of YUCKS.

I am no miracle worker when it comes to fixing different foods, but I have learned that cooking can be a lot more fun now than I used to make it. I have to say I do have a little more time now to experiment with food and my menu. But, I know certain things I like the taste of and I try to mix them up when it comes to cooking.

If your husband can't follow what you do then, you will have to become a little stronger. Remember this really is ALL about YOU and no one else. Put yourself first for the first time in a very long time. You have been busy taking care of everyone else but YOU.

Hugs,

Suzanne