Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food gets stuck in Esophogus? Why?

Today is 3 weeks since my surgery and I have a question for the experienced sleevers. I am in the pureed stage, but I really haven't pureed anything. I'm sorry but the thought of pureed meat does not appeal to me. Instead I have been eating all soft foods - eggs, egg drop Soup, Progresso lite Soups, Beans, chopped chicken, etc. Also a lot of yogurts and sf puddings. Anything with chunks in it I make sure I chew very well before swallowing.

However, no matter what I eat (even yogurt & pudding) seems to get stuck in my esophagus. Like I literally feel it right in my chest. I know I have to try to eat slower (not easy as eating fast is a habit I am working on breaking), but I just don't understand the why it is stuck there? They didn't operate on my esophogus - it is still the same as it was before. So just wondering about the mechanics of it all and why things seem to stop there and will it always be that way. If it will, I can deal with it. It actually forces me and reminds me to eat slower, but I am the kind of person that needs to understand the inner workings of things and I can't figure this one out.

Thanks!

BTW - LOVE my sleeve. It is the best decision I have ever made for myself. No buyers remorse here, not for one minute. Look at my ticker below - that amount of weight loss would have taken me 6 months on Weight Watchers, at which time I would have just about given up! So thankful I did this and to these boards for all I have learned here.

How much are you eating at once? I would feel the exact same thing until about 1 1/2 out if I ate just a little too much. I think it’s because of the swelling. When they sew up your new stomach my surgeon says he double sews near the esophagus at the top of the stomach and that can cause a lot of swelling. And you can stay swollen for quite some time. I have not felt that way in at least a month luckily, so it does go away!

Ditto on the too much food at once or too big of bites. Even though they didn't operate on you esophagus, it's still above the tummy they DID do surgery on. If you are eating too much or too fast, it'll back up into the esophagus. Be careful to not overload you new tummy. Chopped chicken may be a no no. I'd ask you're dr. before you try that one again.....

I'm now around 4.5 months out and I still have a problem with that. I don't always take too big a bite and I'm not always eating too fast. Personally for me, I think it's the fact that I'm not drinking while I'm eating. Before I always slugged down Water, soda, tea, you name it...as I ate whatever I was eating. So of course I never noticed food getting stuck in my esophagus...I never gave it a chance to get stuck. I don't know for sure, just my personal opinion. I hope this helps. :idea:

Question::: u know how we r not supposed to drink half hr b4 or after we eat.,. Does that also apply to drinking with big chewable vitamins? ???

GetInMyBelly, I drink with my chewable vitamins to wash down the last bits of the pills. My Nut said to wait 5 minutes between pills/chewables before taking another one, but I take my meds all in just a few minutes with about 4 oz of Water. Then, I brush my teeth and get ready for the day. That usually gives me about half an hour between the pills and Breakfast so that I'm not pushing the Vitamins through before they get a chance to work.

Thank u