Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until Hunger Comes Back?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and will be sleeved in January. I'm just wondering if the hunger and/or cravings is only gone for months or if it lasts longer. Thanks!

My surgery was 9.5 months ago and I'm still not physically hungry. Head hunger still strikes from time to time.

I'm just over 14 months out and really I've just noticed real true hunger recently. I get the hunger pangs like old days. It's not nearly as ravenous as it was pre surgery but its definitely there. I think the most overwhelming feeling I get still though is the grouchiness. That's how I've measured my hunger since surgery. So that's still what I really go by, it's just now I know its right around the corner once I start feeling the hunger pangs in my stomach.

:)

I have had small amounts of hunger since about six months out. Although, I don't take an acid reducer since I don't have reflux. Some people have found that staying on them reduces the hunger significantly. When I do get hunger pains, it is at a meal time or my afternoon snack time. (I have to have a snack in the afternoon because if I don't, I get so irratible at dinner time. Then I tend to overeat- which means a sick feeling in my sleeve). When I eat, especially if I follow the rules and eat Protein first, I get full VERY fast and the fullness lasts. The hunger for me is not like hunger I used to have before the sleeve. It is more like a rumbling reminding me it is time to eat. I don't have the drive to keep eating like I used to. I eat, get full, and move on with my day.

I was going to post, but Becca said everything for me. ;)

It might or might not, because everyone is different. You never know, so take advantage of it while you can! I'm 16 months out and it's still not back. I get "empty" when I need to eat and I no longer need to take a PPI to reduce acid so when my tummy grumbles it's because I need to eat. However, I still don't get that "I'm hungry" feeling that I used to get. I'll usually notice I need to eat when I get lightheaded or my stomach growls. I do get head hunger or cravings occasionally and sometimes I ignore them and sometimes I indulge. It's nothing like it was prior to surgery, though. Not even close!

If I get a hankering for pizza, for example, having one thin slice will completely fill me up and satisfy me. However, for some people that hunger doesn't go away (these folks are few and far between from what I've seen) so please be aware of that before you have surgery. In most cases, people that still feel "hungry" post op either need to up their PPI dose or are dealing with emotional eating issues, not actual physical hunger.

~Cheri

I'm a little over 3 months out and don't feel true hunger, but I can feel my blood sugar drop if I go too long without eating. I'm still dealing with head hunger though

I'm the same way that I get irratible if I don't eat and yesterday I heard a term that I thought was pretty funny... "hangry" which is the state of anger or irratibility resulting from being hungry. I need to tell my boyfriend that this is a real thing! lol!

http://www.bitchinnutrition.com/food-for-thought/hangry/

My hunger never went away, but it's totally manageable. I'm actually glad to have kept my appetite so that I didn't get carried away with not eating.

I am 14 months out and hunger has never come back. I do get cravings especially once a month, and that's when I snack the most as well.