Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op diet question

Hi all:

Banded a little over a week ago in Mexico. REALLY having trouble with this post-op diet. Diets and me just don't do well. When hunger kicks in, will-power goes.

I feel good, but a little sore from surgery. My questions is this: how important is the post-op diet? (Week of Clear liquids, then week of Soups, then week of purreed foods, etc.) What dangers exist if I were to just start eating lightly? I confess, I have eaten some solid foods this past week and have had no problems at all.

So, what does everyone think? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has wanted to skip the post-op diet and go straight to eating a little solid food. If I have no problems doing it, can it still hurt? Are there reasons for the post-op diet that I don't know about?

Lost about 5 lbs since surgery. No problems or complecations that I can tell.

:hungry:

I was required to do 2 weeks of a full liquid diet and then two weeks of a soft diet and finally got to solids on week 5. After 12 days on the full liquids, I called the dietician and told her I was starving so they moved me to a soft diet. You need 4-6 weeks for total healing and different surgeon's have different diet requirements.

Call your MD and tell them you're hungry and bored with the diet. They will likely give you the OK to advance it. Go for soft foods like fish, meatballs, meatloaf, Peanut Butter, soft cheeses (cottage, ricotta), puddings, textured Soups, etc.

My surgeon said that you need to do the two weeks liquid and two weeks mush in order to allow scar tissue to develop over your sutures so that they don't pop and the band slip. I have photos of the band on my stomach, I've seen the sutures. A part of the stomach below the band is brought up and "attached" to create a loop over the band.

Just tell yourself it's only for a few weeks and you can get through it. Have your Protein shakes, Soups and lots of Water. You can do it. Just remind yourself it's not forever.

Eating solid foods prematurly might make your band slip (this is what my doc told me). If you feel very strongly about it... put what ever solid food you are eating in a blender with enough Water to make a runny poridge (I know that sounds discusting) then your belly will feel full and you will not be straining the oriphus (opening b/n pouch and rest of gut) created by the band thus standing a chance of slipage

alex

ThinMan, the postop diet is EXTREMELY important. The doctor would not put you on it if it wasn't. This isn't like the insurance companies trying to make you frustrated so that you will go away. Your stomach needs to heal. You have stitches holding your band in place, and they are not strong enough to do that and deal with the digestion of certain foods.

who were you banded by? and why did they not tell you why you need to stay on this diet? If you just can't handle it you need to call your surgeon and tell them this. Let them know that this is really hard for you.

Though the doc may tell you to progress a BIT faster than prescribed...the post op diet is very very VERY important. Don't forget...you can't see your insides and what is going on in there...it is for your safety and to help you heal inside and to NOT cause any band problems while it and the stitches etc are trying to heal.

THAT is why the post op diet.....it isn't like a quick draw to losing weight quick...it is for healing.

So, be wary.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches