Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperate to qualify for weight loss surgery, some pile on the pounds

111024-sears-beforeafter-hmed-534p.380;380;7;70.jpg Courtesy Steffany Sears

Steffany Sears, 34, of Gold Bar, Wash., lost nearly 70 pounds after receiving the Lap-Band stomach-shrinking device as part of a clinical trial in 2008. The trial led the food and Drug Administration to lower the limit for obese patients eligible for the device last spring.

By JoNel AlecciaAt 202 pounds, Steffany Sears knew she was fat, but not fat enough to qualify for traditional weight-loss surgery.

Desperate for help, the Gold Bar, Wash., woman did what seemed the only logical thing: She gorged herself on chips and Cookies, pizza and fried chicken so she’d gain at least eight pounds more.

“I would have eaten myself stupid,” recalled Sears, 34, who was turned down by her insurance company for the $20,000 procedure. “I know friends who would have done that, too.”

In the end, she actually qualified to participate in a clinical trial that led the federal Food and Drug Administration this spring to lower the bar for obesity in people eligible for one form of weight-loss surgery, Allergan’s Lap-Band stomach-shrinking device. Because she had a body mass index, or BMI, of between 30 and 35, the target range of the new rule, she even got the treatment for free, instead of having to take out a second mortgage on her house.

Today, at 5-foot-6, she weighs 143 pounds. "I felt like I'd won the lottery, really, with my life," said Sears, a native of England.

.ocicon { position: relative; top: 3px;}.invite a { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color: #336699; font-weight: bold;}.invite a:focus, a:hover, a:active { color:#CC0000;}sm-mail.pngWater to nudge the scale to the correct heights.

“That happens all the time,” said Dr. Robert Michaelson of Northwest Weight Loss Surgery in Everett, Wash., who was a clinical investigator for the FDA trial. “I’ve seen people come in with ankle weights on.”

Sometimes, it works. Elizabeth Marks, 32, of San Diego, Calif., was turned down for surgery once by her insurance company for being less than 100 pounds overweight, but accepted after she gained more.

“I just had two weeks of eating all the junk I could,” Mark said.

In general, a person who is 5-foot-6 and weighs 220 pounds has a BMI of 35. At 250, the BMI climbs to 40.

Wow, she looks great, I hope the Band works for her, and she doesn't wind up struggling like so many do with it. And yes, I was just reading a thread on a different forum of a girl having to gain weight because she was denied by her insurance. I think she was only had to gain 10lbs. I can completely understand the desperation to have WLS, and people gaining a few lbs. I just wish people weren't pressured to do such things to try to have surgery to improve their health and lose the weight, it's sad really.

I completely 100% understand this. I have tried appealing my insurance's decision 3 different times and have been denied 4 times. They tell me it isn't medically neccessary because I'm 3 pounds too light. THREE POUNDS.

I completely 100% understand this. I have tried appealing my insurance's decision 3 different times and have been denied 4 times. They tell me it isn't medically neccessary because I'm 3 pounds too light. THREE POUNDS.

OGM that is crazy all they care about is a number. Try putting a 5 lb weight in your pants.

I am very glad for her that this helped! And I agree that when you are only a few pounds off it is mightly tempting to gain those pounds. I just wonder when they are going to stop, where is the limit? Next people who are just "overweight" are going to start seeking surgical options and it makes me wonder at what point it will stop. The band and the sleeve may be less drastic than the by-pass or DS, BUT they are still drastic measures to lose weight and they are serious surgeries. It almost feels like they are diminishing the severity of the choice to have weight loss surgery.