Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG this is TMI, but I have had the WORST problem...I am 9 days post-op, and I have been having the most obnoxious, smelly, LOUD gas! It is soooo embarrassing. I have had problems with bloody bowel movements a few days post-op, but now I have pure Water diarrhea and this horrible gas-not a good combo!! Has anyone else had this problem? I'm pretty sure it's not gas from the surgery now, just of my own making. Please tell me that this goes away...my daughter called me poopy pants earlier today, and I deserved it! HELP!:o

Have you spoken to your doctor? Some gas is normal as you take in air and with smaller stomach it gets pushed out. It took me a week or two to have a regular movement and even with stool softener it was not easy.

At 2 1/2 months my gas is mostly above but still have some below though they don't seem to be obnoxiously smelly or loud but my diet has been off a few days. I find burping more of a problem after eating and notice it seems to be from eating to fast.

I would still suggest talking to doctor and you might try some Fiber in your diet. At 9 days and mostly liquid you don't have anything solid to come out.

I still get gas. I get more gas if I have something with sugar in it for some reason.

Are you on Protein shakes?

Yep, drinking 6 oz of milk with Protein every day. I have alot of burping, but I figured that it came with the territory for a while. I am on a pureed/mushy diet right now, and I've been drinking my Water and even getting a small glass of milk in on top of my Protein Shake. I feel like I'm doing ok with that part, it's the "end" result thats so bad! Could it be from the Protein Shakes? ? I see my surgeon tomorrow for my follow-up, guess I'll have to ask him about it, UGH!!

I was sleeved a day before you were. Have had the same problem. My MD said that the gas and diarrhea are normal. It was driving me crazy. I cut back on the milk and it seemed to ease some, but then had to find another way to get Protein in.

Have you tried switching brands of Protein Shakes? I hear it is very common, but it could be mixed with a small intolerance to something in your brand of shake. Call your doctor soon, you can get dehydrated so quickly post-op, this is surely not helping.

It sounds like all the symptoms of lactose intolerance to me. My doctor said you can become lactose intolerant after surgery. I had some problems with lactose in the last few years anyway so I have been making my shakes with Lactose Free milk just to avoid any issues. I have been using the Smart Balance Lactose Free Milk. It also has more Protein than regular milk (10/g vs 8/g). There is also Lactaid brand - it depends what they sell where you live.

I will be 2 weeks out tomorrow and I have had some gas, but nothing terrible and not what you have described. I also hardly have moved my bowels, maybe 5 times since surgery. I just started adding some benefiber to my shakes to get things moving a little better. Although I don't feel constipated, I know it will happen eventually.

But try the lactose free milk, it may make the difference.

I'm so glad that it isn't just me. I will be 6 weeks PostOp tomorrow. I am consistently burping but it's the 'lower' gas that is concerning. I'm sure that it can't be good to hold it but what can you do at work?

It does appear to be lessening.

I can't go #2 so I'm a bit envious of your diaherra. :-)

I'm 7 days out and when I go to the bathroom it is VERY loud and watery. It's kind of embarrassing. I assume this is normal but I really hope it goes away soon!

I went to my surgeon today for a follow up, and he thinks that I have an infection in my colon from too many antibiotics from having 3 surgeries in 2 weeks. I have to take some medicine for a week and hopefully it will get better. He doesn't think that I'm lactose intolerant, but I bought some Lactaid today as a back-up if this doesn't work!! I'm scared to eat or drink anything but Water, because I have to go to the bathroom all the time!! :unsure: I'm glad I don't have to be at work right now, I'd be dying of embarrassment lol

I did become lactose intolerant for awhile after surgery. I could eat yogurt but milk gave me horrible gas. It's better now.

For anyone on the liquid or post op diet, you will have diarrhea until you move to more solid food. liquid in, liquids out.