Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got my date -- now the surgery fears...

My surgery date is January 12. Yay! But now it's all real and I'm very nervous (read: petrified) of the surgery itself. I'm seeking counsel with a hypnotherapist who specializes in pre-surgery hypno. I'm an anxiety-ridden person as it is, and I need all the tools I can get to make sure I don't freak out before the surgery. I'll report back on the hypno thing in case anyone's interested in it.

I'm so glad to have found this website where we can all talk and work stuff out. This surgery is a big ding-dang deal and scary, but it seems like a lot of people have done so well and that helps allay some of my fears.

p.s. if you know of any Bay Area in-person support groups, let me know!

I am an anxious person too. Try to do things that relax you leading up to your surgery and find someone to talk to about it. Even if it's this board. Just talk it out. Then think of all of the people on here who have had the surgery and everything turned out fine and how happy they are and how much happier you will be and HEALTHIER after it's all said and done. If you still have a lot of anxiety ask your surgeon for something for your nerves you can take the morning of your surgery. I always ask for something to take the morning of my surgergy (yes I have had a few too many) and it really helps keeps me from shaking and sweating and from my mind wondering to the worst case scenario. Some people are more anxious than others and there is nothing wrong with that.

Good Luck!

OMG I've been there. I was an absolute wreck the last few days before my surgery. On the day of surgery I cried when the nurse put in my IV and the dude was cleaning my stomach prepping me for the procedure. YOU WILL COME THROUGH THIS. When I woke up I was in excruciating pain but glad to be awake. You will be too. Send me a message any time you need a pep talk. YOU WILL BE FINE. Promise :rolleyes:

Thank you guys!! I can't even express how much I appreciate the support!! I definitely have that "alone" feeling, even though I've told a bunch of people. There's just no substitute for people who are going through the same thing!

My biggest challenge at this point is the anxiety, which is actually great progress. I feel very confident and excited about "working the sleeve" and I'm ready to tackle all that head-on. I just need to keep working on my anxiety around the surgery itself (and post-op healing so I don't have complications).

Acupuncture, hypno, mindfulness meditation... I'll get there. I'll get there! :-) Thank you again!

Is it really funny that I'm actually looking forward to surgery like I would a vacation? It's the start of my new life and I can barely wait!

I've had two open abdominal surgeries so I know what surgery is like.

Heck, I'm also looking forward to the two weeks off!

I did have what I think may have been a mild anxiety attack (first one ever) when I left work that Friday, but that was for a myomectomy (fibroids). This feels more like a gift.

I am not anxious in general, but medical procedures send me around the bend. any. medical. procedure. I about had a panic attack before getting an endoscopy!

Anyway, i had the lapband surgery 10 years ago and just about ran away at the last minute. I was sooo nervous. What I realize now is that I was worried about the wrong thing... that lapband surgery wasn't too difficult, it was living with that dang band that was the hard part!!!

I had the band removed a little while ago. I was pretty nervous, but, I knew it had to be done. I wanted it gone in a planned manor, and not in an emergency (band had slipped so it could have become an emergency event) so it was a little easier for me to be determined.

Now, I am waiting for my sleeve date. I am worried, but my anxiety about the surgery itself has been greatly alleviated by talking to the doctor and staff about my specific worries. i was able to take my general anxiety on the subject, and turn it into a handful of specifics and then really talk through those. I am a very analytical person, so that made me feel alot better. I think I am actually now looking forward to getting this sleeve surgery now!

Hello..

I had sleeve surgery on Tuesday the 18th. The surgery went fine, textbook. What SOME people dont tell is the real truth. It's not for someone looking for a quick fix. I see on here where people are shoving burgers in their mouths, eating whatever days and weeks after surgery. Why go through all this to fail This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I had my gallbladder removed 8 years ago and it was a breeze. The hysterectomy was quite difficult. Due to my past weight it took 12 weeks to heal. The pain was horrible. I have a very low pain threshold anyway and it bothered me the entire 12 weeks.

Now on to the sleeve. My left side is somewhat sore. I'm learning to sleep sitting up. Its hard to get up and very painful when I try when laying down. My new tummy is making all kinds of sounds. I'm trying to keep my spirits up. Lost a so called friend because of the surgery. I REFUSE to stay fat to make her fat feel comfortable. Before surgery I was already smaller than she ijs anyway. I was warned that this may happen. I just figured after all these years of friendship she would at least support me even if she didn't agree. WOW!! wrong was I. That made me a bit depressed. I had to do this for me. I got out the hospital yesterday, last night was my1 st night home. I spent it alone, texting my supportive friend and talking with my Mom who is 1000% on my side. It made me cry when she said she was proud of me for losing before surgery. Got a few hours of sleep. Got up, took a shower and called my Dr. Dr Kennedy to ask about the pain on my side and was told that it was normal. She had me to remove the pain cath in my tummy since all the meds were in my system. It was scary but I didn't feel a thing. Cleaned up the 2 tiny holes with some saline and had some skinny Water and sugar free freeze pop. Went for a 30 minute walk outside. Took the 3 flights of stairs back into my apt. All the while in pain. On pain meds but trying not to use too much. Drinking, Water, Protein shakes, eating greek yogurt (it's wonderful w/ splenda) had a few teaspoons of baby food meats on my stage 1 diet. Took my other meds and some of the Vitamins we have to take for life. All this for what??? To be a healthy weight. Climb stairs, fell better than I have all my life. I changed my eating habits for life. No more Blue Bell ice cream, been off that over a year, no more sugar Snacks off that for 5 months. No more grazing, been off that for 5 months. No more allowing food to be my friend been off that 5 months too. God is good. It's hard but I'm determined not to fail. I taught myself to drive in 3 days... Shucks. I can do this too. I'm trying to remember to sip...sip..sip... Congrats too all my sleeve family. God Bless you.