Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your sleeve "clench"?

Hey everyone :) I am 4 weeks out and I am never hungry biggrin.gif however I find if I don't "eat" every few hours I get this odd clenching feeling in my sleeve. I am pretty sure this is my new "hunger" signal but I'm not sure. It isn't painful but it is pretty uncomfortable until it passes. Water or Protein Shakes don't seem to help.

Anyone else have this?

Thanks!

No not exactly, could this actually be excess acid? It is a common enough experience for sleevers. While MOST of the stomach tissue that has the proton pumps is cut away, what little is left still produces to much acid for the are of stomach that is left. Have you tried a PPI yet? Prilosec OTC here in the USA is one common one.

No not exactly, could this actually be excess acid? It is a common enough experience for sleevers. While MOST of th stomach tissue that has the proton pumps is cut away, what little is left still produces to much acid for the are of stomach that is left. Have you tried a PPI yet? Prilosec OTC here in the USA is one common one.

I have a prescription for protonix that I have taken daily since the surgery so I don't think it is an acid issue. I have only had a little bit of heartburn when I switched from taking it in the morning to at night. I switched back and haven't had any problems. The feeling is very odd, almost like it is being squeezed and then released. It normally goes away after I eat though I sometimes feel it while I eat (even though I take really small bites and eat slowly). Afterwards though I don't feel it for at least a couple hours. Which is why I thought it could be my sleeve's way of saying "hey i'm empty".

I'm just shy of two weeks out and I know what you are talking about!! I get that same feeling. I thought maybe it was just spasms, but it does go away after I put something in the "tank". It's not painful or bothersome, but I do notice it.

Yep - I had this too, mainly at night and it would wake me up. It wasn't painful but I found it distressing and so I took buscopan for a couple of weeks. It went away on its own. I think - and this is only my theory - that this is a reaction of your stomach tissue to surgery.

I live in the UK and asked my surgeon for advice at the time - he said he had never heard of it!! I found out thru this forum that this is a common experience. Sleeves as a stand alone wls in the UK is in its infancy unlike over there in the USA and so I am not surprised he had never heard of it but it was worrying that he didnt have the answers at the time.

It will stop eventually. See your medic/surgeon for an anti spasmodic if it is really worrying/uncomfortable for you.

I haven't had it, but have read about others describing spasms in their new sleeve. I think this may be just an early out thing. Some people have said it happens if they drink something cold. I'm not sure?

I am definitely going to ask my surgeon about it... I am probably going to see him this week because of my incision. I

t happens at least two to three times a day and it does wake me up at night. At first cold Water made it clench and it hurt, but now I can handle colder liquids just fine.

I am very glad to hear that I am not the only one!

Thanks for the input everyone.

I had that at night and it woke me up regularly. It stopped happening about 2 months after surgery and I no longer have it. I am now 2.5 months out and I still don't like to sleep on my left side because it feels like there is a very slight pulling on the inside. You are just healing :) It's good to talk to your surgeon... hope everything turns out ok!

I am definitely going to ask my surgeon about it... I am probably going to see him this week because of my incision. I

t happens at least two to three times a day and it does wake me up at night. At first cold Water made it clench and it hurt, but now I can handle colder liquids just fine.

I am very glad to hear that I am not the only one!

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm having it right now as I type. I interpret it as my sleeves way of telling me its hungry. It's a bit like cramping. I'm sure its pretty normal and nothing to worry about. :)