Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving right around the corner

My husband will have surgery tomorrow at 8AM. He had his lapband (slipped, emergency) removed 4 months ago. His stomach was in too bad of shape to have it done all at once (which was what he really wanted).

Our question is diet. He knows about the liquid diet and the mushy diet, but what do you think could I cook for Thanksgiving (a little over 5 weeks out) so that he could eat along the rest of us and not feel left out of the feast? I know he won't be feeling like "feasting", but a few spoonsful of "Thanksgiving" will probably be all he needs. I guess I am more concerned than he is.

Any help with the menu would be MUCH appreciated, thanks so much!!!

First off you don't want to push the issue of "feasting" . The idea of this surgery is to help him loose weight and not make him eat. After his surgery, it is really important to follow the doctors rules and regulations. I don't think you want to be the reason if he has a leak or other type of problem because you felt he should "enjoy" thanksgiving. It's not about the food, it's about family (new way of thinking now). As long as he is with his family that should be all that matters. If he is just starting on mushies that week, then mushies is what he'll have (the doctor will give him a plan to follow). But follow the doctors advise. . .that is most important for his health. However, again, the choice is yours. . . Good luck

at 5 weeks out he will be able to enjoy a very small amount of a few of his favorites. I think he will feel just fine! I had a birthday dinner 4 weeks out and I didn't feel left out at all.

It really depends on what his program dictates but he could possibly have mashed potatoes & gravy, ham or turkey (chewed well), sweet potatoes, greenbean cassorole. He should definitely eat his Protein first and then maybe some soft veggies (green Beans - no corn),

Hope that helped. : )

Shell

First off you don't want to push the issue of "feasting" . The idea of this surgery is to help him loose weight and not make him eat. After his surgery, it is really important to follow the doctors rules and regulations. I don't think you want to be the reason if he has a leak or other type of problem because you felt he should "enjoy" thanksgiving. It's not about the food, it's about family (new way of thinking now). As long as he is with his family that should be all that matters. If he is just starting on mushies that week, then mushies is what he'll have (the doctor will give him a plan to follow). But follow the doctors advise. . .that is most important for his health. However, again, the choice is yours. . . Good luck

Amen. He will eat some turkey maybe 2 oz. Good advice.

No offense, but I think you took her message wrong. I don't think she intends for him to "feast" or disobey the doctor. I think she was asking for creative ideas on mushy foods. That's how I took it anyway.

My husband will have surgery tomorrow at 8AM. He had his lapband (slipped, emergency) removed 4 months ago. His stomach was in too bad of shape to have it done all at once (which was what he really wanted).

Our question is diet. He knows about the liquid diet and the mushy diet, but what do you think could I cook for Thanksgiving (a little over 5 weeks out) so that he could eat along the rest of us and not feel left out of the feast? I know he won't be feeling like "feasting", but a few spoonsful of "Thanksgiving" will probably be all he needs. I guess I am more concerned than he is.

Any help with the menu would be MUCH appreciated, thanks so much!!!

If he is at the mushy food stage, then he could probably handle a spoon or two of mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes. Anything else could be blended into the consistency he can handle. I'm getting my surgery done the Monday beforehand so I won't even really be at the mushy food stage yet. I'll just be enjoying time with my family while sipping on Protein haha. Happy Thanksgiving!! :)

legnarevocrednu , that's EXACTLY what I meant. I want him to feel "not left out" of the festivities (I know food shouldn't be the center of the "feastivities" and we are both learning), but for now, I want mushy food ideas from all of you couragous enough to have gone through this.

Anyway, he went through the surgery yesterday and it went remarkably well!!!!

He is up and about, passing gas and not attached to anything except for the IV. They are removing the IV this morning and will start Clear liquids. He might go home today he is doing so well.