Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! PBing 1st Time Need Answers

Okay everyone, It happened. I am 11 weeks post op and I was eating dinner, just some chicken, and I was just going along, obviously not paying attention to how I was chewing, and it got stuck, this is not the first time I have had trouble with chicken, nor was it the first time I got something stuck, however usually I can push it down with a few hard swallows, and a couple of sips of Water. NOT THIS TIME, It is so painful, so I took a sip of water, and up it came, the water, then (GRAPHIC) slimy foamy goo. I only yacked a couple of times then was able to get the chicken down, it did not come up. Since this incident, it has felt as if someone kicked me in the chest. I have stayed on liquids since, I called my Dr's office, and they truly have me freaked out! They recommend I stay on Clear Liquids for 48 hours, and if it feels about the same by tomorrow afternoon, I will have to come in Friday. Is it possible I have done something to my band, with that small bout of vommiting? It wasn't a violent attack or anything. But even when I drink water, it is painful, not killer painful, but definately feels different than before this incident. I also think I can taste this gross slimy stuff in the back of my throat that I have not experienced before. If any one has had a similar experience or has any advice on this please respond. I am a total basket case since my Dr's office has made me feel like something really bad could have happened. Band slippage maybe? Would I know?

Dawn

Banded 2/27/04

265/239/160

Dawn -

Is it possible that something has happened to your band? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Your doc's office gave you the perfect advice. Whenever you PB, you should immediately stop eating, and do liquids for the remainder of the day. In a case where there is obvious pain, doing liquids for two days is not a bad thing.

As always, if something feels wrong and it doesn't get better, off to the doc you should go.

I would imagine that after a full day of liquids and a night of sleep you will feel like your old self.

Symptoms of slippage include total obstruction (not being able to eat or drink), and it is often painful.

Chances are you just did some irritation to the bottom of your esophogus. But definitely follow your doc's advice - if after 48 hours of liquids you are not back to your old self, go see them.

Hi Dawn

I know this is pretty late but I was wondering if your band has gotten better? Did you have to go the doctor? This happened to me and the doctor said that it was probably fust swolen around the band. After a couple days of liquids it did get better. Good luck!

Yeah...once you have a problem, it increses the chances that you'll have more problems with the next meal...UNLESS YOU TAKE A TIME OUT. If the first round was tough, there is most likely swelling in the area of the stoma, which gives the next bits of food a narrower passageway.

Ah! the gross slimy stuff. You've had what I refer to as "A Saliva Incident." That happens when your brain, which hasn't read the band owner's manual, thinks that the food which can't get through the stoma (cuz too much went down too fast and got plugged up) needs help! It sends slime to grease it up and wash it through. Unfortunately that just causes more problems. When the slime doesn't work, the brain next sends the "now it's time to barf" message.

All pretty routine.