Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Positive Life Changes since Banding?

I haven't been banded yet (September 20th, Dr. Geiss, NY) but already I am finding myself more optimistic about the future, and thinking about doing things I wouldn't have considered before.

For example, I am considering furthering my education, and maybe making a career change. On a smaller scale, I'm thinking about re-doing my basement, first by removing some linoleum tiles and painting the walls.

I still have the same low-energy, but I know I will be feeling better soon. And I can imagine doing things that should I continue to be fatigued and out of shape I would never imagine doing, b/c I'd know I wouldn't have the energy for it.

Has anyone else used their new energy levels and/or good feelings to make other positive changes in their lives?

I just bumped my complete list of NSV's. I highly recommend that everyone track theirs. http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8943&highlight=Crystal%27s

I know that so many people have wonderful weight loss, but that is not in the cards for me, at least not yet.

The band saved my life in a couple of ways, it saved my husband's life, and it saved my mariage.

One of the things about keeping track of your NSVs is that it adds dimention, texture and color to your life's journey. Someone could say "I lost 38 pounds" which is wonderful, but it doesn't quite have the same impact as saying what that weight loss translates into, whether it is being able to fit into a booth at a restaurant, the seats at the Baseball Stadium, or being able to walk around the Fair or Ammusement Park all day. Or for an hour, or whatever your victory is.

Be kind!

I've really got life running smoothly again since banding. I'm more energetic and therefore more efficient. Life was becoming chaos, just a jumble of mess, clutter and crap all over the house, the kids going to school in odd socks, late every single morning etc etc. My excuse was that I'm a university student, you cant do everything dont you know? Well since banding, I can. I leap out of bed in the morning and hit the ground running, I think I was mildly depressed, I'm now feeling just so positive.

I also seem to have broken my overspending pattern, I used to buy stuff jut to make myself feel good. I still want to - ever smaller sizes tempt me - but I dont "need" to anymore.

I really have a totally new outlook on life.

My partner and I both are being banded on the same day, and we have noticed that we are both showing signs of life that we haven't seen in a long time. we are cleaning the house, and getting our money in order, and really looking at what we have allowed our lives to become.

I feel hope. That is the biggest change since the decision to have this surgery. For the last oh, man, 10 years:eek: I have felt no hope where weight loss was concerned, I figured that someday a pill or a sharp blow to the head would give me the motivation to really do it, but I felt no hope.

Now, I feel hopeful. I am looking at my life post-band, and see so many things! I am going to school to finish my degree (finally, I started it in 1993!!!) and the job that I will have after school requires a lot of standing. I had not thought about that part of it, I just found something I love and went after it. Then, about the middle of last year, I realized that a HUGE!! part of the job is standing in front of crowds, on your feet for 1 1/2 hours (at least) at a time. Yeah, not something I could do now.

Life is starting new, fresh! I can't wait!

I am moving again!!! After years of low energy and sitting on the couch I am playing tennis, golf, taking long walks, hiking and even going to the gym. Endurance and stamina are up. Best change is being able to join DH in doing of these things again and enjoying it. Looking forward to skiing again this winter too.

My biggest positive change to date is exercising more. I am back to the gym working out with a fitness trainer and I do cardio 3 days a week. That is huge for me.

I'm still a little slow, my energy isn't quite back to it's peak, but I'm walking better. I'm even able to walk without my cane some of the time. I have severe osteoarthritis in my legs and my weight was making it very difficult for me to get around. I'm not up to taking long walks yet, but I am definately noticing a difference. Hopefully soon I'll be going for those walks and then that will help with the weight loss too. I'm looking forward to a new life in the near future.

I'm even able to walk without my cane some of the time. -- ralheit

Oh my gawd! this is the very best! I don't get excited when people say they've lost x number of pounds or kg, but things like this are so wonderful!

I'm still a little slow, my energy isn't quite back to it's peak, but I'm walking better. I'm even able to walk without my cane some of the time. I have severe osteoarthritis in my legs and my weight was making it very difficult for me to get around. I'm not up to taking long walks yet, but I am definately noticing a difference. Hopefully soon I'll be going for those walks and then that will help with the weight loss too. I'm looking forward to a new life in the near future.

Congrats on your progress!! I have bilateral degenerative osteoarthritis in both knees and the right one is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. I get cortisone shots, but they only last for about a month, if that. Then I have to tough it out until I can have them again, so I get out a crutch. Just shy of 25 lbs gone for good, I'm stiff, but getting up a lot better than I would have 1 month ago! I'm so happy for you!:clap2: