Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Sleeve Dilemma, or is it?

• Good luck with insurance coverage. If you have to go to Mexico (I did), then please don't go to ANY half price surgeons in Tijuana. I am going to get royally smacked for telling you this, but it is the truth: 95 per cent of all the horror stories you will read or hear about about on these forums and blogs (before they are deleted) are due to the person getting their surgery there. There is a reason they are so cheap. Trust me, if you can afford more, go somewhere else - to a REAL hospital.

Hi all, my name is Lisa, my journey actually began a year ago when i was deliberating to have the sleeve or not, after years of yo yo dieting, gaining and losing. I have finally decided to have it done. I have Kaiser Insurance so went to my primary MD for the sought after referral for bariatric surgery. after many doctors visits he finally consented but added, you probably wont get approved for the surgery d/t your bmi is not high enough and you dont have any comorbs. okay, I am 5'9, 260 lbs, and yes I have no comorbs, but I dont want to have any either. I do have shortness of breath even when sleeping, IBS(irritable bowel syndrome)plantar faschitis, osteoarthritis in my right knee, stress incontinence, gerd, do I need to go on.lol. well that being said, I decided okay since my surgery isnt going to pay for my surgery then I will pay for it my self, hence the surgery in mexico. well last week imagine my surprise when i got an appointment card in the mail with the RNP on Oct 6th, I guess this is the first step for kaiser, checking your availability, bmi etc. but from what I understand its not a done deal, that still doesnt make you approved. I guess I am still going to keep my appointment in November and see what my appointment on Oct 6 has to offer. I am scared and anxious at the same time, but finally glad to be able to get this weight off and keep it off for good. thanks all for letting me vent.

• [*] I am going to get royally smacked for telling you this, but it is the truth: 95 per cent of all the horror stories you will read or hear about about on these forums and blogs (before they are deleted) are due to the person getting their surgery there. There is a reason they are so cheap.

No royal smack from me. People researching VSG should get all sides of a story so they can make their own decision.

thanks all who answered, you guys are the best, I laughed so hard about the weights in the bra thing, and actually thought about doing that. I am still keeping my appointment with kaiser and am hoping for the best, but if not well mexico it is. again, I can see why everyone loves this site, the enormous feedback and support is really awesome