Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

That's what I am hoping for... Eat the RIGHT things and let the band tell me when to stop... I loathe looking up calories, weighing food (or guessing wts) and tallying... UGH! Been there/done that forever!

Good luck tweaking your fill Deb... I can't wait to bond... errrr.. BAND with you all! : )

I have trouble now getting all the Water in, ever since my last fill. I wait the hour, but it takes a long time to drink a glass of water. Every time I take a drink, I have to burp. I have been trying really hard to get enough water in. I don't have a problem waiting the hour, I just have trouble drinking all that I am supposed to.

One of the hardest things for me has been to wait 45-60 minutes after a meal to drink. Anyone else having trouble with that?

I was told 30 before & after - I understand the after - which i too am having a hard time with as i am thristy after eating (salt) but not the before so that you can eat more - well for us who don't have much restriction I would think it would be a good thing - so that we didn't over eat.

Wow - I am so impressed with some of the weight losses recorded, and a bit green with envy. If you can do it, so can I. I do seem to have to follow an eating plan, otherwise I get "tricky" with it. It is part of the disease for me. Glad I am in therapy. Exercise seems to counter some of that for me. I am still trying to "cheat" the system tho' - how old am I? As soon as stress or boredom trigger my "need" to eat, I am off and running, thinking up everything I can put in my mouth. Help! Well, at least I am not in denial any more. I did lose 5 pounds in July, which is ok by me, but I am cutting it too close to the borderline of where I can eat and still lose.

Best wishes everyone - any insight will be appreciated.

LadyHR: I definitely have had problems getting all the Water in. At first it was very difficult to not drink during a meal. I would feel totally parched after meals.

Before the band, I drank water all the time and pretty much kept a bottle with me. I always drank a lot of water or iced tea with my meals. So when I had to be more careful when I drank water, I had a hard time remembering an hour or so after meals that I needed to start downing it.

Now I am used to it and although I do still have to work at getting enough water in, I am doing much better and don't mind not drinking during and right after meals.

I was banded September '06.

Wow - I am so impressed with some of the weight losses recorded, and a bit green with envy. If you can do it, so can I. I do seem to have to follow an eating plan, otherwise I get "tricky" with it. It is part of the disease for me. Glad I am in therapy. Exercise seems to counter some of that for me. I am still trying to "cheat" the system tho' - how old am I? As soon as stress or boredom trigger my "need" to eat, I am off and running, thinking up everything I can put in my mouth. Help! Well, at least I am not in denial any more. I did lose 5 pounds in July, which is ok by me, but I am cutting it too close to the borderline of where I can eat and still lose.

Best wishes everyone - any insight will be appreciated.

I completly understand the head thing. I fight it all the time and I'm sure that is why I have not lost as fast as others have. Its still a mind control thing that I have to overcome. I'm sorry you have trouble with it, but glad I'm not alone. Thanks for the entry I need to hear this from someone else.

You know the rubbery wrist bands that Lance Armstrong started with... ??? Everyone has them now... We banders need one too!

There is a minister in Missouri who thought up the idea of a "complaint free world?" He had wrist bands made that say "SPIRIT A Complaint Free World" on them...

The idea is to wear the band on one wrist and to keep it there xxx number of days... if you complain, you have to move it to the other wrist and start over again... It started off as a challenge to his congregation, then others heard about it - and the church has sold millions of them...

Anyway... I thought I'd wear a band (I picked a pink breast cancer one in honor of my mother)... and when I feel hungry, I snap my Bracelet - accessing real hunger/head hunger... hoping to keep me on track...

and as a back up, I'll keep a food journal. AND FORCE MYSELF TO BE HONEST... most of the time I don't want to write my cheats down, so that stops me...

I'm grabbing for every tool I can... It's been a lifetime of wrong-doing... and I'm determined to make this work! Now, if only I had my internal band!!!

katie:ranger:

The Water is hard, isn't it? I was always a HUGE water drinker during meals. The waiters at restaurants usually ended up leaving a pitcher on the table because they couldn't keep up with me. So not eating with meals is still a challenge for me. My dr. says I can drink up until the first bite of food but then not for 2 hours after eating! Argh. It's hard but I make myself wait the 2 hours and then I won't allow myself to eat again until I've drunk 20-24 oz. of water. It's hard but doing that throughout the day is helping me get the water in.

My doc is writing a book about the LB and I suggested that as a sales tool, he could include some kind of band to signify that you're a bandster and that way, perhaps it would become acceptable for us to order off the kids menu or half of the regular Entrees or something. He said that there is already a band out for people with the Lap Band.

I already have a card like that. I use it all the time. It allows me to order smaller portions. It says I have had stomach surgery and can only eat small portions.

Just found a lump in my left breast. Gulp. Thought it was enough just to deal with my new band (since Feb.). Anyone had a diagnostic Mammogram since being banded? I've had plenty of them (1 per year since I was 40)...but I'm more nervous for this one tomorrow with the band.

I use it all the time. They are local restaurants. There is a Mongolian BBQ where you pick out all your veggies and meats and they stir fry it. I have used it at the Sizzler, and the Sweet Tomato, which are about the only chains.

I use it at Chinese places and Mexican places. I have never showed it to anyone and have them say I couldn't use it. They let me order off the senior menu or the kids menu. Someone said kid's menus were hot dogs and stuff, but here, it's the same menu with smaller portions for a cheaper price.

lessofme: I am due for one next week. I get one per year (unless I find something and then I get an additional sonagram) because my DM and DS both had breast cancer. I haven't talked to anyone who has had a mammo since LB surgery, but I'm pretty sure there are some women here who have gone through it.

I'll be thinking of you , lessofme. The girl who does my mamo is the one that told me about banding She is banded.