Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

watchdog - I second the Protein Shake ideas. It is so important for hunger issues. mentally we all have to work on carb and sugar addictions. Each time I think i've got it, I slip.

The eating with a band isn't a whole lot different than without, although once you are tight it will feel a little different. I think the challenge is the head thing, at least for me. I've had to decide that the food choice I make isn't wrong, but if it is a "goodie" for me I may have to confront a chain reaction within my body. Am I up for it? is the bite of cookie or ice cream really going to hurt? Not really, but if my mental framework isn't right on center it will trigger a binge. Now, my band is really tight, so a binge isn't what I want to do. THAT is the band difference for me! I am not going to totally lose the ground I have covered, like I have time and time again.

So this is the long winded approach to - The band works! Work with it!

Drink protein!

Best wishes all,

Michelle

Crabcake: It will get better, but make sure you let your doctor know how much you're struggling. It takes time to find the sweet spot. Also, try and figure out what you can eat that will satisfy your stomach and your head hunger. Do you like sugar free pudding or Jello? Will something warm like sugar free hot chocolate make you feel better? Can you eat just ONE miniature chocolate? Do you like pudding made from protien powder? Could you dip fruit in it? What about a low calorie fudge ice cream bar? You can have little treats that can help you over the hump. Just try and make choices that aren't self-defeating. Good luck!

:)I survived… Barely :car: Surgery went fine, was told it took a little longer cuz I had a lot of scar tissue from my prior gall bladder surgery. When I woke up (10 a.m. ish) in my room felt like an elephant had kicked me in my stomach and was sitting on my stomach. My daughter in law said I was using the “F” word like every other word (I do cuss but not that much) the room was hot, I wanted a fan – I wanted more than 1 oz of ice an hour and I was hitting that pain med button like crazy.. My day nurse was very nice – VERY sweet which I do remember that getting on my nerves at first but then later in the day I liked her – They took me for the upper GI like around 5 p.m. the day of surgery and when they put me on the x-ray table and shoved a glass with a straw in it and told me to drink.. I told the guy “I’m not supposed to drink out of a straw” he said it was ok – so I drank. By the time I got back to my room I felt like I was going to throw up. Called the nurse right away and she gave me a shot and I was ok. Come to find out that they should not have made me drink through the straw and they made me drink too much and some other stuff.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Kristen (Dr's nurse) wasn’t too happy with the GI Dept … Kristin came to see me around 7 and gave be a grape Popsicle. She left to get it and it took awhile and I was about to cry if she forgot to come back.. But she didn’t and that was the Best Damn Popsicle I have ever had. :biggrin1:<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I will tell you one thing the night nurse’s at Desert Hospital SUCK !!!!!! . They never hookup my cpap machine , called the night nurse for a pain shot she said she was on lunch and would be there later. The lvn/c.n.a had a punk hairdo died pinky/red. I guess my age is showing cuz I really didn’t care for him coming in the middle of the nite taking my temp blood pressure etc. Made me get up and walk in the middle of the night then never hooked be back up to the oxygen monitor or plug my IV machine back in to the wall. So I took the thing off my finger in the morning and she asked why I took it off – “told her you never came in to hook me back up and it was bugging me so why wear it”<o:p></o:p>

Next day I was still in a lot of pain – the physical therapist people came I cried:think… I was having REALLY bad gas pains in my right shoulder. and having a hard time breathing deep enought due to the pain. When Dr B came, I was crying and they said I could stay another night – I was afraid to go home and experience that kind of pain. So stayed another night.. Truly though I could have gone home around 8 p.m. that night. I had another nurse that night after complaining about my 1<SUP>st</SUP> one – well he wasn’t any better.. <o:p></o:p>

Woke up at 5 a.m. on Thursday and wanted to get the HELL out of there. Do you know that for me to call home collect it would have cost $8 for the 1<SUP>st</SUP> minute. That’s BS.. I called my Son’s house my 12 yr old granddaughter answered the phone and they wanted credit card # - she told them no and called her Mom (Nurse who was at work) who called me and want to know what’s wrong.. I stared crying saying I wanted to come home but couldn’t call anyone – didn’t have my cell with me to be able to call Dr B. So she sent my Grandson to the hospital and I called Dr B at 8 a.m and said I want to go home. He called my nurse and I was out of there by 9 and home by 9:30.. I felt so isolated there in the hospital with no way to get a hold of anyone..<o:p></o:p>

I have done ok since I have been home. Was not hungry in the hospital but once I got home I was. I have restriction can eat about ½ to 1 cup of Soup and am full but not satisfied and have had to deal with the head hunger – Can’t wait for mushy stage… I am having thick soup but I need to taste the food. Have had a couple of cheese puffs – I let them totally melt in my mouth.. I need that chew factor.. I want fish or a rare hamburger patty. :hungry:<o:p></o:p>

I guess I am a big baby, cuz it seem like most of the people don’t have it this bad (even the ones my age) – I am feeling ok – have some pain where my port is and walk kind of hunched over when I first get up. I could go out if I want to bare the heat (which I don’t) so here I sit. I have washed off the patio, clean the slider window and done a load of wash but that’s about it. Suppose to go back to work on Monday, but might just call in and say I don’t feel like it – or go in and leave early – we will see.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p>On 7/6 i weighed 250 and on Tuesday morning weight 236 (that's after 2 colon cleasne one on 7/12 and the other on 7/16 - came home from the hospital weighing 242 and haven't been back on the scale - don't want to get discouraged cuz i am eating 1/16 of what i ate before and am afraid of not seeing on the scales. You know our expectation are that if we don't eat normal for a day or 2 we should have lost 20 lbs :car:. </o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>Thanks for all your prayers and best wishes, they really mean alot to me...</o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

IndioGirl: You sure didn't have a typical experience! At least from what I've read here and learned from other bandsters in my doc's office. That sounds pretty uncomfortable and very unfun!

I don't know why your doc made you have the pre surgery colon cleanses or the upper GI post surgery? Your hospital sounds very poorly managed, and money grubbing (the epxensive phone charges)

But you sound like you are able to be very active and are doing just fine now. I certainly hope so! You certainly paid your dues. Things should all be much better for you once the swelling goes down and you settle in with your new friend. Keep us posted. We're all wishing you a great result from your being banded!

IndigoGirl - you had a bad experience. I never had the bad gas pains, and I don't know what the percentage is of people who have them. I'm so sorry it was a rough recovery. You will feel much better soon. I know it doesn't seem to. Best wishes!

I am so sorry you had such a bad experience, Indigo Girl. That hospital sounds awful. I am really glad I came home right after surgery.

The thing that filled me up the most after surgery when I was on liquids was definitely Soup and not Protein Drinks. I seemed to be hungry immediately after drinking one of those . Can you have yogurt? I was able to have yogurt right after surgery and those helped a lot too.

Maybe this will make you feel better. I lost 22 lbs when I was on the liquid phase!

Indiogirl, I'm glad you are home and feeling better. What an ordeal! Try not to over do now. Take it slow and easy follow the doctor's instructions carefully (cheese puffs?) FaithMD posted a really informative piece yesterday about the importance of staying on the liquid phase the full time for proper healing and to avoid complications later on. I wish I new how to make a link to it but look for it under the food thread titled "kind of blew it..." Good luck!

What a bummer, Indigo Girl! Your experience was atypical and you went through a really rough ride but now you are banded and everything will be clear sailing for you from now on. :biggrin1:

:hungry: @ the hungry ones: you have already received good advice. I dealt with my first weeks post-op by having many small liquid meals instead of just 3. This was recommended by my doctor and so I had Breakfast, a mid-morning snack, lunch, a mid-afternoon snack, supper, and a mid-evening snack. It seemed that I was always having a small liquid something and this stopped me from feeling hungry. Many of these meals were hot (soups and broths) and I think that this helped with my hunger pangs. And like the others told you, please try not to cheat - your insides need time to heal. :car:

Hi, everyone:

Glad to report some restriction since my fill - I seem to be able to eat only about 3/4 cup and not as much hunger in-between meals. I know from reading other posts that this may not last but I am pleased for now.

IndioGirl - What a rough time you have had. I hope it gets better and I'm sure now that you are home it will. I found walking (about 5 minutes every hour or two) helped those gas pains which traveled all over my upper body.

Hope everyone has a great week - I'm on the road with work from Monday-Friday this week and it is a great challenge to eat the right things. If anyone has any tips or advice for traveling, let me know!

Indiogirl: I had an awful experience in the hopsital too. My little nurse kept comparing me to a gastric bypass patient and telling me that I wasnt in as much pain as I thought I was. She also told me that I wasn't going to lose as much weight, etc. She was a real joy. I was crying by the time I left too. Especially since I was hungry and she shows up with a sheet a paper for me to sign saying that I understand that I can only eat 1/2 c. per meal for the rest of my life. I was like what? I didn't understand that. It was a real joy! I had to have a colon cleanse the day before my surgery too. I also had the barium swallow the day of my surgery to see if the band was where it was suppose to be and food would pass through it, etc. I had terribly gas pains and lots of emotional issues, since my mom came to help was cooking all this delicious food that I couldn't eat. BUT, you've got to believe that it all gets better. You can deal with the hunger and pain. Just remember the reasons you had the surgery and you'll be alright. Allow yourself to feel sad. This is a big change. You have the right to mourn the loss of your old lifestyle. Just don't stay in that place to long. Get some sunshine and also allow yourself to think of all the good things that are going to be coming your way. And by the way, all the good things aren't just weight loss, but increased self-esteem, health, self-respect, new clothes, better personal relationships, etc. You're going to be happy about your decision and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. It's a big adjustment, so be patient and good to yourself (in non-food ways). Keep us posted. You can do it!

IndioGirl:

I don't know why your doc made you have the pre surgery colon cleanses or the upper GI post surgery?

BJeans

I think he uses the same parameters for his bypass & band patients

which is ok with me as he hasn't had any patients with major complications.

The upper GI was to make sure no leaks (i don't know what would leak but to err on the side of safety is ok for me)

I am feeling really good today - 5 days out - want to go to the show and see Hairspray. But who know if i will, as i need to down load tunes to my new Ipod (RED) for my gym exercising..

Thanks for the love:kiss2:!!!

Janet

We saw Hairspray over the weekend and really enjoyed it. Most of the audience wasn't ready for it to be over. Only a few people walked out when it was over. We all stayed, hoping there would be outtakes.

Everyone does a great job - Michelle Pheifer of course! John Travolta - I kind of even forgot it was him a little. You know Queen Latifah sings her heart out. And John's husband, my mind is slipping, can't think of his name, is awesome as always. I may be getting old (MAY be?) but I actually teared up in a couple of places. Some of it really brought back memories of how bad things used to be. Anyway, don't get me wrong, it's an upper movie and you should see it!

karey: As my ole pappy used to say, "Don't take any wooden nickles"

(I have no idea what it means)

Have a great trip. Here's hoping you come back with more coins than you take!

Hi All -

I also saw Hairspray, what a fun movie. I was so impressed with the new young star. It has an interesting plot line, fat girl gets dreamy guy. Not bad for Broadway. The music is foot tappingly good.

BJean - I totally agree with you. and I don't know what those wooden nickels were either, but they must have been an item, way back then....

karey - have a blast in Vegas, it should be like a blast furnace there, but it'll have great air conditioning. ARe you seeing any shows?

I want to see the "O" which is done by the Cirque de Sole folks.

Feel better Indio - the best is yet to come. Be patient, because the band takes time and a few fills to really do it's job. I am finally 3 fills and 3 momths out, I feel great and restricted.

Hugs and best wishes - stay cool.

Michelle