Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

:help::help::help::help:I had a fill on Tue. my total is 8.6 on a 10cc band. I didn't get home until midnight so I didn't eat anything except my evening pills which I didn't cut up. The next morning I took my morning pills uncut and shortly after that began having the dry heaves. They were nonproductive and quite violent. Since then I've been unable to eat anything solid. If I try to eat solids I get pain and nausea. I get the pain even when I drink a sip of Water. The pain is right at the line on chest where my breasts end. I can feel something going down and it goes into stomach pouch or at the junction of the esphagus and stomach.

Has anyone ever had this???? What is it????? I wonder if I ulcerated something with the bigger pills?????:)

I agree with the others you are too tight - stay on full liquids for the weekend and if you aren't better by monday call the doc.

cut your pills and eat with pudding or yogurt..

I hate to say this, but I would gain weight if I ate that much. I hate my slow metabolism!

For lunch I have a slice of deli ham with a little bit of low fat cream cheese spread on it.

:girl_hug:MOMLAMBERT AND DENISE

Laura (my doctors assistant) called me tonight to see how I was doing. She said that I need to stay on just liquids. She will call me tomarrow to see if I am doing better. I should be able to progress on mushies tomarrow afternoon.

Denise, if I am too tight, I will stay on liquids and lose weight which will loosen the band. Hoping I can do that as I have to fly to Tiajuana for pulling some Fluid out.

Yes I remember you were having a lot of problems and had some fill taken out.

:thinkSLACTACTION

Yes you must count your calories, all liquids with calories. Liquids with calories can stop you from losing weight more than solid food on the band. Protein first, then vegetables and carohydrates last (if ther is any room left). Save all liquids until at least a half hour after eating or before eating. Liquids with the meal cause the food to turn soupy and leave the pouch fast.

EVERYONE

Did anyone see Oprah today??? It was about gastric bypass surgery and people who have lost hundreds of pounds becoming alcoholic. They hadn't taken care of their emotional stuff about fat. Very interesting.

FOOD--- we need to make sure we get some good oil (fat) in our system. Olive oil, canola and nut oils. Sometimes for salads I make a dressing out of wine venigar, olive oil and spices.

Also I found this unique microwave plate that makes omelets in the microwave. I put eggbeaters on both sides and cook a bit then layer cheese and stuff on top...cook a tad. Flip over and I have an omlet.

Sorry I have not posted lately, I'm still waiting for Medicare to approve the CMMC hospital in Jackson, MS. I'm going to a Lapband support group on Dec. 11th. My 1st. one at this hospital, maybe I'll find out something than.

Glad to hear other people are doing good. I'll make it yet.

Don

Sorry I have not posted lately, I'm still waiting for Medicare to approve the CMMC hospital in Jackson, MS. I'm going to a Lapband support group on Dec. 11th. My 1st. one at this hospital, maybe I'll find out something than.

Glad to hear other people are doing good. I'll make it yet.

Don

Good to hear from you again, Don. Hope that Medicare approval for the hospital comes soon!

FOOD--- we need to make sure we get some good oil (fat) in our system. Olive oil, canola and nut oils. Sometimes for salads I make a dressing out of wine venigar, olive oil and spices.

Also I found this unique microwave plate that makes omelets in the microwave. I put eggbeaters on both sides and cook a bit then layer cheese and stuff on top...cook a tad. Flip over and I have an omlet.

We used to have one of those. My DH got rid of it! He didn't like it. Makes sense to me. But he does all the cooking (my sweet control freak), so, whatever!

Didn't see that Oprah show, but we've discussed "transfer addictions" on one of these threads. I decided I prefer "retail therapy" as my transfer addiction.

Hope going on liquids for a few days takes care of your problem. I need to be a little tighter, I think. Because I have never had any problems similar to yours... no PBing, no sliming, etc., then I think I must not be tight enough. I'd like a little more restriction. It's a fine line, isn't it??

I hate to say this, but I would gain weight if I ate that much. I hate my slow metabolism! For lunch I have a slice of deli ham with a little bit of low fat cream cheese spread on it.

Denise - I am glad that I can eat - what I consider a Normal about of food and still lose weight- I don't know how I would do if I had to eat less -

EVERYONE

Did anyone see Oprah today??? It was about gastric bypass surgery and people who have lost hundreds of pounds becoming alcoholic. They hadn't taken care of their emotional stuff about fat. Very interesting.

NMSunshine - Yes I saw it the 1st time it was on - Oprah pisses me off some times - she seems to puts down people who have WLS - it's not just people who have WLS that can have transfer addicitions - people who lose weight without surgery can have the same issues too. Look at her she looses weight - gains weight back loose it again - want to talk about yo-yo - and she has the benefit of personal trainers and chefs where we don't - OMG if i could have someone else cook all my meals and a trainer to help me exercise - I would be in hog heaven. Notice how she talks about WLS she is negative about it - IMHO she needs to be banded :P

We used to have one of those. My DH got rid of it! He didn't like it. Makes sense to me. But he does all the cooking (my sweet control freak), so, whatever!

Didn't see that Oprah show, but we've discussed "transfer addictions" on one of these threads. I decided I prefer "retail therapy" as my transfer addiction.

Hope going on liquids for a few days takes care of your problem. I need to be a little tighter, I think. Because I have never had any problems similar to yours... no PBing, no sliming, etc., then I think I must not be tight enough. I'd like a little more restriction. It's a fine line, isn't it??

Phyl - you DH is a very nice man I though his controlling was done with luv:) - I think you have a keeper in him... Have you called Dr B - I am scheduled to go in on the 19th but don't know if i need to - I have pretty good restiction when I eat really solid foods - soft go through but the solids keep me full for quite a long time and sometime if I drink to fast is sticks a little - Call him it can't hurt...

PHYL

I'd jump up and down celebrating if I had someone doing all the cooking. My DH tries to cook sometimes, but it's not very edible.

Wish I could develop a 'transfer addiction' with excersize. Just don't have it in me.

On restriction, I never was really restricted before. I never had nausea, PBing or sliming. I was very anxous to have that. My weight loss was soooooooo slow. Now I have those things. Last night I ate two fruitsicles. On the second one I could feel pressure in chest, then burps and finally slime. Now I understand what everyone is talking about.

It still hurts in my pouch when I drink something, but not as bad. On liquids only.

INDIOGIRL

I agree with you. I never watch daytime TV but someone told me Oprah was covering gastric banding yesterday.

I felt like she should have shown people who had gone a healthy route with WLS.

I didn't know she was down on WLS. Perhaps she is doing some projecting of her negitive side.

INDIOGIRL

I agree with you. I never watch daytime TV but someone told me Oprah was covering gastric banding yesterday. I felt like she should have shown people who had gone a healthy route with WLS. I didn't know she was down on WLS. Perhaps she is doing some projecting of her negitive side.

NMSunshine

I record Oprah daily.. I don't know for a fact if she is down on WLS but to me she puts that kind of spin on it - just like that show - transfer addiction - did she ask the people who were on the week before who have lost like 500 without surgery if they now have transfer addiction now she praised their weight loss... It's just seems like she has a bad attidutuet to wls to me ...

INDIGO

Last night Laura (she's part of my surgeons' team) called me, asking me how I was doing and if I had any problems. She told me to go on liquids only and she will be calling back today. If I don't get better one of the docs will call me. She said I could call her anytime day or night.

I feel like I am in good hands. I cut my pills way down and spend the day taking a few of the cuts at a time. It does feel much better today.

What are the dangers of being too tight? Couldn't I just stay on liquids and lose enough weight for the band to lossen on it's own?

INDO

500 pounds awesome!!!!

But, what if they start putting it back on???? That's what most of us did, yo yo. One of the main reasons I got the band was that I could keep it off and not yo yo.

Yes, WLS or on own, transfer addiction effects both.

PHYL

I'd jump up and down celebrating if I had someone doing all the cooking. My DH tries to cook sometimes, but it's not very edible.

Wish I could develop a 'transfer addiction' with excersize. Just don't have it in me.

On restriction, I never was really restricted before. I never had nausea, PBing or sliming. I was very anxous to have that. My weight loss was soooooooo slow. Now I have those things. Last night I ate two fruitsicles. On the second one I could feel pressure in chest, then burps and finally slime. Now I understand what everyone is talking about.

It still hurts in my pouch when I drink something, but not as bad. On liquids only.

INDIOGIRL

I agree with you. I never watch daytime TV but someone told me Oprah was covering gastric banding yesterday.

I felt like she should have shown people who had gone a healthy route with WLS.

I didn't know she was down on WLS. Perhaps she is doing some projecting of her negitive side.

Oh, I am VERY grateful that my DH does all the cooking! And the shopping, and the cleanup! I did everything for lots of years! So I'm not complaining!! (well, maybe a little when he over-seasons! LOL) I coach him as he cooks, so as long as he listens, it's all good! Between the two of us we've come up with some pretty good bandster freindly meals!

I guess I will have to call Janet's Dr. Bobby & see if I can get him to give me a fill. Isn't it strange to want to have all those horrible things.... PBing, sliming, etc! It's just that I know that they are indications that you have good restriction and since I don't have them, I think I need to be tighter.