Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

cathie: It makes no sense to me. If we were able to control our irregular eating, we wouldn't NEED WLS!

I wonder if she sensed that you were in a bad mood or that you weren't particularly impressed with her and she decided that you had a bad attitude. Some people take advantage of others with their power. Of course I'm not accusing her of that since I do not know her. But from what you've said, it seems that maybe you could have been discriminated against.

I really should shut the heck up. You're already feeling bad about her assessment. I don't need to make you feel worse. I was just wondering if you discussed the session with the shrink with your bariatic doctor?

I also wonder why they shut some people out from WLS. Maybe there's a difference between overweight people who are depressed because they eat too much and those who use food as a replacement for healthy emotions. Does that even make sense?

I do know there has to be a reason that many doctors require psychological testing. It protects them and the patient, no doubt. I wonder what is the downside if someone slips by the test that shouldn't have and goes ahead and has the surgery? Can anyone answer that for me?

Cathie

this was the advice i was given prior to going to my shrink

Indigogirl. A friend of mine got the lap band last year and is now maintaining her 130 pound frame. Anywhoooo, she gave me some advice before I had my psych eval. She said be careful what you bring up because it can lead to a whole string of appointments before her releases you to have the lap band. So when I went in he kept trying to drag me into old problems that really don't affect me today. I kept quiet and within 20 minutes he told me that I was cleared.

Now I am sure that some people might need the help, but I was not wanting to spend a ton of money and time on something that didn't bother me. Good luck on Thursday!

Just sharing - might want to try it next time :0)<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I seem to be the oldest person on the message board. I am 68 years old and will be banded on October 15. Elective surgery is a concern; however, being fat is much more of a risk. This will be a huge life style change for me (as all of us), and I have some trepidation about the liquid diet. I haven't been to the education class yet and I'm sure I'll get more information about it then. I'm just used to eating what and when I want. Is our metabolism a lot slower than the youngsters? Is there anyone out there my age who has a success story to tell?

You aren't the oldest person on this message board. There are some that are over 70 on the bandsters in their 60's thread.

There are many success stories of people who were able to get off their medications, and have lost a lot of weight. Just don't expect it to happen over night. We will all be here to support you.:car:

You can start a thread if you want to, and ask for success stories of people over 60.:)

Cathie, I would tell your doctor that you want to see someone else.

Tell your doctor just like you told us. Someone that is severely depressed does not work out 5 days a week. Maybe that shrink just wants you to come back so she can make some more money from you. My doctor let us choose whoever we wanted to see.

You can also tell him that the little bit of depression that you might have is caused from being overweight. You can certainly tell him that you don't binge the way that shrink described. Tell him you eat when you are hungry. It would seem that your WLS doctor would want you to have the surgery.

How's my weight loss being over 50? Just FINE THANK YOU! I'm 42 down and still on the slippery slope and losing! Nearly 4 months post-band, PERFECT constriction and happy as a clam!:whoo:

Good Morning, All!

:update:

I saw my primary care doc this morning & she is pleased with my progress so far. I'm down 37 lb. and my BP is down.

:)

DH & I are on a "red-eye" to Buffalo NY tonight to visit family for a week. Hope I do okay with the food!! I want a Ted's Hot Dog and a Friday night fish fry!! I will only be able to eat a small piece of fish, no bread, a little cole slaw and German potato salad, I hope. Maybe I can split with someone. My Mom is a good candidate. She's 85 & doesn't eat much! She'll probably share with me. Ted's hot dog will have to be without the roll, but I'll probably have to have one for lunch one day!

I know the airplane seats will be more comfortable!

Good Morning, All!

:update:

I saw my primary care doc this morning & she is pleased with my progress so far. I'm down 37 lb. and my BP is down.

:)

DH & I are on a "red-eye" to Buffalo NY tonight to visit family for a week. Hope I do okay with the food!! I want a Ted's Hot Dog and a Friday night fish fry!! I will only be able to eat a small piece of fish, no bread, a little cole slaw and German potato salad, I hope. Maybe I can split with someone. My Mom is a good candidate. She's 85 & doesn't eat much! She'll probably share with me. Ted's hot dog will have to be without the roll, but I'll probably have to have one for lunch one day!

I know the airplane seats will be more comfortable!

Phyl - CONGRATS on the 37lbs gone :D - That's Great:clap2: - Have a safe trip and I guess we won't be hearing from you:think for a week you jet setter you:D

Oh, Contraire!! I WILL be online whenever I can get at someone else's computer. Both my sisters have fast connections. Forget Mom... she uses WebTV. I don't think I have the patience for that. But I'm stayiing at my sister's (DH stays at HIS sister's 5 miles away), and just hoping her computer is no longer in the basement as I don't do steps well!! I won't be online much, but you'll hear from me! Janet, I'll tell you all about my fish fry since you are a fish fan, too. It's a weird Buffalo tradition.. going out for a fish fry, usually to a saloon, on Friday night. May extend beyond Buffalo, but I don't know!

Oh, Contraire!! I WILL be online whenever I can get at someone else's computer. Both my sisters have fast connections. Forget Mom... she uses WebTV. I don't think I have the patience for that. But I'm stayiing at my sister's (DH stays at HIS sister's 5 miles away), and just hoping her computer is no longer in the basement as I don't do steps well!! I won't be online much, but you'll hear from me! Janet, I'll tell you all about my fish fry since you are a fish fan, too. It's a weird Buffalo tradition.. going out for a fish fry, usually to a saloon, on Friday night. May extend beyond Buffalo, but I don't know!

Phyl - Have fun and yes fish fry sounds great - I miss FAT -OIL - BUTTER anything greasy.. I miss it... :hungry:

I guess your DH won't be on you like glue about your eating :D OMG how do you think you will manage :) all by yourself :phanvan (i know i am mean but meant with love)

Phyl - Have fun and yes fish fry sounds great - I miss FAT -OIL - BUTTER anything greasy.. I miss it... :hungry:

I guess your DH won't be on you like glue about your eating :D OMG how do you think you will manage :) all by yourself :phanvan (i know i am mean but meant with love)

HAH! You can bet he'll be on my sister's porch bright & early every morning! After HIS sister feeds him a big herkin' breakfast! Last time he stayed at her house I think he gained 10 lb in about a week!! He's really a sweetheart, just can be a little "oppressive" at times. Don't be too hard on him! You'll probably meet him this winter! I can't believe we're only a little over a month from heading south!! I am really excited to go back! I love it down there! Of course, I've never been there when it's 120!!

I will go easy on the FAT! Thinking I can order that fish grilled or peel off the good stuff!

HAH! You can bet he'll be on my sister's porch bright & early every morning! After HIS sister feeds him a big herkin' breakfast! Last time he stayed at her house I think he gained 10 lb in about a week!! He's really a sweetheart, just can be a little "oppressive" at times. Don't be too hard on him! You'll probably meet him this winter! I can't believe we're only a little over a month from heading south!! I am really excited to go back! I love it down there! Of course, I've never been there when it's 120!!

I will go easy on the FAT! Thinking I can order that fish grilled or peel off the good stuff!

I was only teasing about your dh - Can't wait to meet..

You have more will power than me if you pull off the good stuff - I would have to just order grilled - i am starving right now..

120 isn't that bad in the a/c house or office and thats where you stay during the summer :phanvan

My doc gave me Prilosec. Is that the same medicine. It's a heartburn medicine. I haven't had any heartburn since the surgery.

I am lucky never had much heartburn....

How are you doing?? Lets see 9 days banded - you should be feeling 99% normal again