Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hey Phyllser, If you have any questions about Puerto Penasco let me know. We are building a house down there and spend about 4 weeks a year there. Wonderful place, but it has grown beyond reason in the last 5 years.

This thread is so encouraging to me, even with the discouragement, because it is real. I am in bandster hell, 9 days post op, no restriction. But I will make it. Sure helps me to enter my food as I eat it on Fitday.com. I see the carbs add up and it makes me rethink my next choice for eating. dinner time is approaching and I need to do some thinking before I head to the kitchen. Why is it that carbs are so much easier to fix than Protein? Interesting thought.

I think I need to make a ticker to my first fill. I sure liked the restriction. Sorry to see it go so quickly, but gives me great hope for the band working well.

Marilyn

It sounds like they operate the Curves differently in different towns or states.

I live in a really small town. Maybe they have changed things from when I went there. When I tried it, you had to sign a year contract. I have heard on the radio where they have specials where you don't have to pay a joining fee.

One other thing I didn't like about it was that there was no way to adjust the weights. The machines that I use, I can adjust how much weight I want to work with, and adjust the entire machine to fit me.

The cardio machines are all hooked up to tvs and that really makes the time go by quickly.

As far as curves goes, I guess I will have to go there and see what it is all about.. I have been thinking about going to it for a long time now, so it's time I got off of my arse and went...

Hi Everyone, I will be turning 52 at the end of september and I am scheduled for my band on October 4th. I'm getting nervous. Not afraid of the surgery, but just hoping the weight will finally come off and stay off.

Hi, Cheri. Good luck on your surgery. I had mine back in February '07. To date, I've lost 48 lbs. and I'm feeling so much better, and I still have 100 lbs. to go!

Honestly, I think you have to be committed to changing the way you eat to maintain your weight loss over the long-term. The lapband will keep your portions under control without too much effort on your part. If you eat too much, you're going to feel uncomfortable, and unless you stick yourself with pins for pleasure you'll probably want to avoid that. However, Desserts seem to go through the band without any trouble.

For myself, I've had to commit to limiting myself to one dessert a week. Sometimes it's a medium sized cup of ice cream at Coldstone Creamery, sometimes it's a piece of cake, BUT it's once a week -- no excuses. Believe me, the first 3 months that was hard, but now I don't think about chocolate everyday at 3:00 pm and then again at 9:00 pm. I've learned to substitute that stuff with a cup of yogurt and a 2 TBS of Go Lean Kashi Crunch, and I've even learned to enjoy sliced fruit in the afternoon.

The short answer is that the lapband has worked for me and I believe I can keep the weight loss off if I don't make the choice to go back to my old habits. The lapband has curbed my hunger and lessened my desire to eat for the sake of eating. That's what the lapband is meant to do.

It was a good decision for me. The problems are almost non-existent and when I have a problem it's because I'm eating too fast. PB's are not this huge, dramatic event I thought they would be before I had the surgery. Do yourself a favor and don't pay attention to that kind of talk. You can avoid them if you eat the way your suppose to eat -- small bites, chew well, eat slowly. If you do PB, you won't feel the need to call a doctor or run to the emergency room.

Enjoy the journey.

Wow Schemgie!!!! You are doing awesome. I bet you feel 100% better, not to mention how much better you look! I love to hear this kind of stuff, thanks for being an inspiration!!

Mary

Hi Debi717,

Thanks for the infro. I don't eat in between meals and I am not a junk food junkie, My probelm was that I always ate to fast and too much. So It sounds like this will work for me. I will just need to know when my body is full so I don't get sick or anything.

Good

The Curves franchises come from the same corporate office, but there is some discretion about how they handle various things. All 3 Curves that I went to had 30 minute work-outs, not 20 minute ones. The best one that I went to offered Pilates 3 days a week and they had a bar where you could by nutritious shakes, and they had a massage room with a masseuse, and there were mats available for floor exercises and cool downs.

The reasons I didn't like exercising to "My God is an Awesome God" are because, 1) The music was way too slow, and 2) I thought it sounded like the singer was dissing other peoples' God. Like there is something unique about his God. That wasn't inspiring to me, it was distracting and off-putting. But for those of you who are belting it out here, more power to you... if that inspires you I'll bet you love marching around to it. Practically 100% of the women where I went, really disliked that particular song and when it came on, everyone groaned and asked the instructors to take it off. There was one time when one woman said she liked it and so everyone agreed that the instructors should leave it on for her. Afterall, it only lasts a few of minutes.

green: I am so proud of you for how well you've done with your band. You've had a setback, but it sounds like you're healing now. I am sure it is scary to have the restriction taken out, but once you get rid of the irritation, you'll be able to get it back.

A size 10!!!! Wow. You are definitely inspiring me!

green: I am so proud of you for how well you've done with your band. You've had a setback, but it sounds like you're healing now. I am sure it is scary to have the restriction taken out, but once you get rid of the irritation, you'll be able to get it back.

A size 10!!!! Wow. You are definitely inspiring me!

Thanks, BJean.

So that's what that awesome God biz was all about.... I thought that it was very, very weird.

I am 50, 5'3" tall and was banded on May 17, 2007 and so far I have lost 65 lbs.

That's amazing!!! Congratulations!:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->Schemgie<!-- google_ad_section_end --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_549017", true); </SCRIPT>

What a great inspiration you are to us. I have not gotten banded yet but am hoping to by Oct. or Nov. Your weight loss is super. I know you feel better already. Keep up the good work.