Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Yes, Indio that's right.

I just got back from a meeting with my dietician. There were three other people there who have been banded about the same amount of time that I have. We are all struggling with the same problem. I was supposed to get a fill, but dietician and I decided that I should wait another week because I am still not able to eat everything in regular amounts.

I used to read about people who would eat sweets and cheeseburgers and fries and stuff like that. I didn't understand it. I wish I still didn't! I don't know of a sure-fire remedy yet. Although everyone saysthat exercise is the only way to get over this hump. :bounce:

BJean

Since i am so new at this - the newest hasn't worn off... I will hate the day that i lose my motivation to eat right - and right now i wish for more motivation to exercise

Even with the Band we still have our struggles :faint:

I am A O K :clap2:- microcalcification were BENIGN -:whoo: have to go back for another mamogram in 6 months

Thanks all for your positive thoughts prayers and good wishes.

Felt so good - that i went to the gym and walked 1 3/4 miles :)

Janet

Janet- FANTASTIC!!!!!!! That is just fantastic! Woo-hoo! :whoo:

I am so glad you got it done, got the results and are energized! We try not to worry about those things, but it is impossible not to. I am very happy for you.

Hellooooo All of you,

Well, I had to face the fact the band isn't always a warm hug. I have had to face the fact that I gulp, don't chew enough and some foods are a no no. I have always been a positive whoopee type person, but now I will have to accept that not everything is a whooopee experience. For example today I had a piece one bite of California roll at our local King Soopers. Not 10 minutes later I was barfing it into a kleenex in the car, with lots of burps and pain. Besides being embarrassed when this happens it is painful. So yes, I am getting lots of information from my band, does it make me happy? Not all the time. Will it help me confront my eating habits? yes, it will. I liked the idea of moving more. When I am busy and moving, I do use more calories. Now, I am working out, but find the rest of the day, that economy of movement will have to go.

I love you guys and Indigo I am so happy you are in the clear!

Hugs,

Michelle

Poor DynamoMini! I feel your pain, big time. I opted out of a fill today because I have had so many of those episodes in the past month. You never know what is going to set you off. One day you can eat something and the next day you can't.

Have you found that you can be having a meal and everything is fine and then you feel the pressure start building and continue to build until you have a PB episode - even though you stopped eating the second you noticed something? I mean you don't even know that you're in trouble until it's too late. I think I'm going to have to use a baby spoon to remind myself how small my bites need to be.

Let's hope we both get to the point where we are happy for the restriction, and not experiencing the pain! :phanvan

IndioGirl - So nice to hear your good news!

To those of you who share your PB experiences and let us know what causes it, I thank you! I have had no problems yet but your posts have made me extra careful about the size of my bites, my chewing, eating slowly, etc. It also makes me cautious about getting a second fill. I think I'll just wait until I'm not losing enough and not tempt fate!

I am A O K :clap2:- microcalcification were BENIGN -:whoo: have to go back for another mamogram in 6 months

Thanks all for your positive thoughts prayers and good wishes.

Felt so good - that i went to the gym and walked 1 3/4 miles :)

Janet

That's GREAT NEWS, Janet!!!

I was banded last September and I am at goal but I recently developed acid reflux and this is still out of control and so today I am going in for a complete defill. Another LBTer mentioned that this was what his lapband surgeon advised in his case. Cruising on empty is going to be very weird. I am hoping that my new eating habits will help me out during this empty period. Still, I am very, very nervous.

Indio: My DH has a theory about fat people. They have learned to be very efficient beings. They can think up all kinds of ways to keep from having to move much. They are very creative when it comes to housework, walking, parking their cars, getting on an elevator instead of taking the stairs, etc.

I started paying attention to myself and also started watching my slender friends. They all move more than I do. They are constantly up and moving around picking things up, rearranging this or that, cleaning their closets, changing the sheets, parking way out in the parking lot so they can "get some exercise" and the list goes on. Meanwhile I'm being a couch potato, putting off everything and planning my next meal. Thinking about an art project that would be so much fun, but planning another meal. Knowing a room would look better if I got off the couch and started painting, but instead I just think about it and go to the store to buy good things to eat. Lands it's overwhelming to think about all the "head" stuff that I need to work on. :phanvan

Many, many years ago I read about a study which described the same difference in behaviour between thin people and fat people as your husband describes. The researchers claimed that they found that fat people are far more economical in their movements.

I do the same thing everyday, eat the same food, and one day it goes down great, the next it gets stuck!! I really dont get it?????help!!!

I am 62 years old, female. I was a heart patient, 4 heart stents, diabetic, hypertensive, arthritic, etc.

I am 5'2" and weighed 350 last October, lost down to 335 by surgery in March. I was at 300 June 8 and am now at 286. I've exercised not a lot (treadmill at fitness center 2-3 days/wk). I have adhered to the proper eating routine very strictly.....proteins first, greens next, no sweets, no breads, no fried foods, no carbonated drinks, no drink during meal or one hour afterward, and 2-3 Protein supplements a day every day. I havent' craved or 'suffered' at all.

I feel better than I have in many years and am beginning to be able to exercise more and get around better than I ever thought I would again.

I hope that you do as well and get the new hope for a future that I have gotten. Best wishes!!

Way to go Gayle

I'm 50 and was banded on May 17 and so far I have lost 60 lbs.

[ATTACH]9432[/ATTACH]

You are doing wonderfully! I was just approved by insurance and hope that I do HALF as well as you are doing!

:bump2:Hi- just bumping it up. I lost y'all for a bit and couldn't find you! Where were you hiding? Anyone still over 50? Fabulous!?:bump2:

Just wanted to share my band date: Aug 23.

[ATTACH]9488[/ATTACH]

Hi y'all. I am approved and just waiting for my date now. I talked to the care coordinator and she said sometime in October but no firm date yet. I love that this forum has a thread for those of us in our Nifty Fifties! I am so excited about getting this band!! Anyway, good luck to everyone

And Schemgie....OMG...60 pounds is outstanding!!!! Pat yourself on the back. I bet you feel like a whole new person now. :wacko:

God Bless

Mary