Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Marg - Congrats on the 50lbs :clap2: you are on the down side of that mountain

Denise - Enjoy your visit with your Dad - Mine is gone and I was just thinking today what would he say about this..

LadyHR - 25 lbs in 1 month that is fantastic :clap2:

BJean - How are you doing...

PJanes54 - Welcome to the Fab 50's

Ladies - Please keep me in your prayers - I gotta go for a biospy on Friday.. Got pepper flakes in my right breast... All i keep thinking about is here i go and get banded to be healther and now this... I am not too worried as my sister had this too and was ok. But it still is a little nerve racking... I won't have the results until the following week (they say it takes 2 day)

Thanks..

Janet

Janet I am going to be sending the most positive thoughts your way that I can!!

I don't know anything more nerve wracking...having it done and then having to wait. Thank goodness that you have some knowledge through your sister that it is probably not going to reveal anything you will have to worry about.

Keep us posted. We care very much about your well being!

From what I've read from over 50 bandsters...it's a slower journey. I feel like my age (54) and the fact that I began with a lower BMI (33) which also seems to add to the lower weight loss per week. I'm averaging 5.5 lbs. per month. Banded Feb. 12th, lost 30 lbs. so far. I've had 6 fills..go in again on Friday, but doubt I'll get another fill. Might get close to 3/4 of a cup of good solid food..but a little on the painful side. I would be happy to stay where I'm at..even 1 lb. a week would make me happy. Kind of discouraging when you read of people loosing 30 lbs. right off the bat. Have to be tough..I know I can't eat much less...hanging in there..seems slower than I had planned on though :eek:

Indio - best wishes. I know that whatever, they caught it early and can take care of it. The band will make you stronger and healthier. You would have thought if it is something serious they would have found it pre-op band bloodwork or in a yearly exam. My hugs are stretched out to you.

BJean - how are you doing? Are you keeping the faith? I am just hearing the little engine that could in my head a lot, "I think I can" but the pounds are slowly coming off, SLOWLY!

lessofme - I keep telling myself this isn't a contest. I am losing slowly too. On good days I look at it as LIFESTYLE changes that will take two years at least, so it helps remove me from the daily scale measurement. The pep talks do help, the scale dropping helps even more. My mental health seems to coincide with my weight loss. Weird!

Best to you all,

Michelle

Janet, hang in there. We will think positive thoughts that this is going to turn out like it did for you sister.

Lessofme, you sound exactly like me. I am 54 also, and my dr. told me ahead of time that it would be slow going because I don't have as much to lose as some of the others. At the same time, I would really like to lose something instead of going on these month long plateaus.

Janet

I hope your biopsy went well. I've had that 2 times and it was frigthening but everything turned iut fine. Since I've lost weight all the califications have gone. Thank's be to God! I have had 5 fills since July 24, 2006. I am down 105 pounds. Had a bad weekend so am up a few, but they will come off now that I am eating healthy again. It is slow but I figure any weight loss is better than going the other way. Consistency with eating and exercise is the key. You can do it! Cardio is the most important. you can do it!!!!

From what I've read from over 50 bandsters...it's a slower journey. I feel like my age (54) and the fact that I began with a lower BMI (33) which also seems to add to the lower weight loss per week. I'm averaging 5.5 lbs. per month. Banded Feb. 12th, lost 30 lbs. so far. I've had 6 fills..go in again on Friday, but doubt I'll get another fill. Might get close to 3/4 of a cup of good solid food..but a little on the painful side. I would be happy to stay where I'm at..even 1 lb. a week would make me happy. Kind of discouraging when you read of people loosing 30 lbs. right off the bat. Have to be tough..I know I can't eat much less...hanging in there..seems slower than I had planned on though :)

I am an old fart who started with a lower BMI. It has taken me approximately 10 months to get to my target weight. I was banded last September. The weight loss has been slow but steady and I think that a loss of this nature is healthiest for the body as it allows the body time to adjust. My advice to you would be not to obsess on the scales too much. You will also be experiencing Non scale Victories - NSVs - and these are wonderful! These include going down a clothes size or two, getting compliments......:) From all that I have heard, band surgeons seem to expect that the weight loss process post-banding will take place over the following two years.

In my opinion your 30 lb weight loss is a very good start on getting to your ideal weight. :clap2: Don't be discouraged that it has taken you longer than you would wish, be happy that you have started with a lower BMI and thus have a shorter road to go. :D

BJeans- THANKS for your prayers !!!!

Lessofme - I think us with more weight to loss will lose it faster in the begining but will hit that platuee (sp) too.

It's all about calories in and calories out. A lady I works with keeps bugging me about how much have you lost today - I tell here I am only getting on the scale once a week - that i am not going to be discourged by the ups and downs of getting on the scale daily - I am eating better and exercising and the weight will com off.

Dynamomini - Thanks for the good thought

Denise - Thanks too.

Leedorr- That's really great to hear - lose weight and that will help with the califications (sp)

Well gotta get back to work.... Talk to you all later

BJeans- THANKS for your prayers !!!!

Lessofme - I think us with more weight to loss will lose it faster in the begining but will hit that platuee (sp) too.

It's all about calories in and calories out. A lady I works with keeps bugging me about how much have you lost today - I tell here I am only getting on the scale once a week - that i am not going to be discourged by the ups and downs of getting on the scale daily - I am eating better and exercising and the weight will com off.

Dynamomini - Thanks for the good thought

Denise - Thanks too.

Leedorr- That's really great to hear - lose weight and that will help with the califications (sp)

Well gotta get back to work.... Talk to you all later

Janet,

Praying you get a good report back from thhat biopsy!

We're going to have to come up with a good come back for that lady who wants to know how much you've lost each day!! I have not been careful at all about who I've told about my surgery and that is the one problem with that.. You feel like everyone is watching to see if you're being successful and then you have those who want to keep asking that question..... how much have you lost now???? My Mom, for one! She's 85. I cut her some slack!

Janet,

Praying you get a good report back from thhat biopsy!

We're going to have to come up with a good come back for that lady who wants to know how much you've lost each day!! I have not been careful at all about who I've told about my surgery and that is the one problem with that.. You feel like everyone is watching to see if you're being successful and then you have those who want to keep asking that question..... how much have you lost now???? My Mom, for one! She's 85. I cut her some slack!

Phyl

I have lost 19lbs since 7/6 250 on 7/6 down to 231 this morning and I started going back to the gym this morning 5 a.m. and walked for 30 miniutes - hope to go back tonite after work and walk for another 30 - I know that for me exercise is the key to losing this weight (along with

food intake). Weight loss has slowed over the weekend - it seems that i was losing about a pound a day that first week - but this is why i don't want to be a slave to the scales. It's depressing if you get on them daily and see the flexuation of going up and down on the same pound or pounds.. So I am not going to get back on til thrus morning - thrus are going to be my weigh in day - i only bought a scale after i got my surgery date. I didn't own one before... there is one here at work that i might get on once every 6 months . I didn't like the numbers that came up when i got on:eek:

You have done FANTASTIC :clap2:... _I don't remember my ticker password (went last night to change it - and didn't feel like messing with it then - so maybe will try during lunch)

This morning I had oatmeal and could not finish it all - now the funny thing is i use to eat 2 packet as one wasn't enought and now i can't finish one - (LOVE IT) ... But i am hungry right not and have 15 min til lunch ( refired bean 1/2 cup with a tad of cheese)

Thanks for the love & prayers - the odd's are in my favor and like leedorr above said - once she lost weight those spots go away :clap2:

I love the comment about OATMEAL! I can easily pack away 2... can't wait for the day that one is too much! : ) WhooHOoo!

Best Wishes Indio... Keep your chin up (notice I didn't say CHINS)!

Katie

I love the comment about OATMEAL! I can easily pack away 2... can't wait for the day that one is too much! : ) WhooHOoo!

Best Wishes Indio... Keep your chin up (notice I didn't say CHINS)!

Katie

Katie

Thanks !!!!

I just hand my lunch 1/2 cup of refired Beans with a tad of cheese and am still hungry...

And i still have chins - 1 1/2 instead of 2:)

xoxo

Janet

Hi, everyone.

Thanks for all the feedback on my questions about fills. I'm really enjoying the restriction I have now. Friday night we went out to a restaurant and I got a dish with grilled chicken, spinach, and couscous. I ate three meals out of it and finally gave at least half of the remaining veggies to my DH! Unbelievable and then I'm stuffed for hours after. I sure hope this lasts a while.

IndioGirl - You are in my thoughts which are VERY positive on your behalf.

I had a very stressful day at work (I'm an HR Director) and kept reaching for the drawer where I used to keep my candy stash - not there anymore! Old habits are so hard to break. I travel all the time and I think this is the first full day I was at the office since banding. But I just kept drinking Water until time to go home. Now I'm going to get on the exercise bike and see if I can take that stress away!! How long do they say it takes for new habits to form??

Everyone have a good evening and welcome to the new Over 50 posters!

Hi gang

I think i over did it on the exercise last nite... I went to the gym at 5:30 a.m yesterday and walked for 30 minitues - just a tad short of 2 miles. Then went again last nite and did 40 minitues - fast and longer that in the a.m. and got in just a tad over 2 miles. Well when I got home i was just pooped. Got in the pool to cool off and took a shower - my feet were killing me my whole body felt like i was beat up.. Went to bed around 9 - and took some of my liquid vicoden - boy never should have done that. Woke up every hr on the hr.. Now I am tired.. To say the least i didn't go to gym this morning - will go tomorrow but need to make sure i don't get to GUN HO and over do it.. Also, need to make sure i get all my Water in... Other than that drama - am doing ok...

I read on one of the other threads - that it's not good to do a 700 - 800 calorie diet - cuz when you go back to eating normal (1200-1700) you will gain weight.

What's your thoughts??