Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi All -

Feel better Indio - the best is yet to come. Be patient, because the band takes time and a few fills to really do it's job. I am finally 3 fills and 3 momths out, I feel great and restricted.

Thanks Michelle

I am doing 110% better - went back to work yesterday - had some port pain - i work pants and i think that was the problem - today i wore a dress and was just fine.

My stomach must be healing cuz I am HUNGRY.... Were as i wasnt all the time i was home last week and this past weekend. I think i have another week on liquids - I want mushie - soft food. I could drink all the Protein drinks in the world and have 110 grams of proten and still be hunger after 20 mins..

Last night i chewed hamburger meat that I had made for my grandsons dinner and then spit it out... I just had to taste something other than Soup or shakes..

BJean- I watched the original Hairspray this weekend since i never made it out... I agree THANK GOD TIMES HAVE CHANGED..... I always liked Ricki Lake in her fat girl movies cuz I could relate...

Hi all, I cant seem to find the "Violets", anyone know where they went? Well, it has now been 4 weeks since I got the max fill, and still cant eat anything more than Soup and mashed potatoes!!! Any thing else and after a couple of very small and well chewed bites, that golf ball pain and stuck food! When does this stop? At this point I feel that I will never get another fill!!!!!! Before this fill I was eating salad and chicken and I love that!! But now, I am tired of the pain, and the food! Was going to go back 2 weeks ago and get some of the fill taken out but figured soon it would lighten up a bit??? Any advice??????? thanks!!!!!:help:

Margi - I can somewhat relate, however, I am not "quite" as restricted. You are doing so well losing weight, that you probably don't want to rock the boat, but you might want to get just a .10 cc taken out and see if you can then eat chicken and salad. It is a lot of trial and error. I feel so grateful that I can't stuff my face now that I am finally restricted, I think I'll play along. But can you get your nutrients from real food, or only liquids, because that isn't really a "normal" eating pattern. Which is what my doc keeps saying is the goal. Best wishes on your decision.

What have you authored?

Hi all, I cant seem to find the "Violets", anyone know where they went? Well, it has now been 4 weeks since I got the max fill, and still cant eat anything more than Soup and mashed potatoes!!! Any thing else and after a couple of very small and well chewed bites, that golf ball pain and stuck food! When does this stop? At this point I feel that I will never get another fill!!!!!! Before this fill I was eating salad and chicken and I love that!! But now, I am tired of the pain, and the food! Was going to go back 2 weeks ago and get some of the fill taken out but figured soon it would lighten up a bit??? Any advice??????? thanks!!!!!:help:

IMHO - i would get a little taken out - you sound just too tight.

Hey Margi. The monthly support groups (e.g., April was Shrinking Violets right?) have been moved. If you go to the Main LB Forums, you'll see the monthly forums. Just work your way through there. Or, if I'm right and the Shrinking Violets are April '07, go here... http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f91/

As for the 'stuck' stuff...I'd go and have a little taken out. I had a similar problem and was pb'ing something awful. I finally had .25 taken out and felt muuuuucccchhhh better! This isn't what (IMHO) the band was designed to do. You aren't supposed to have to starve yourself (which is what I was doing, 'cause I couldn't eat anything! Ugh! ;)).

Best of luck.

Hi All - My name is Debbie I am happy to see that this site is geared for everyone especially my age group of 50 and over. I've been browsing this site for some time and have found it to be very informative. It's great to have the support of so many as I start my journey. I live in Yardley PA and went to the University of Penn Hospital for a seminar with Dr. Noel Williams group. I was impressed so have scheduled a consult with him on August 1. I'm nervous and excited all at once as I have never considered WLS. I have had a life long challenge with my weight and now believe this will be best for me. I appreciate any additional information you can provide.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Margi, I am with everyone else on this. If it doesn't get better in a few days, have a slight unfill. I had to do Protein Drinks for a few days after my last fill because I was too tight, but it loosened up. As we lose fat around our stomach, the band gets looser.

Hi All - My name is Debbie I am happy to see that this site is geared for everyone especially my age group of 50 and over. I've been browsing this site for some time and have found it to be very informative. It's great to have the support of so many as I start my journey. I live in Yardley PA and went to the University of Penn Hospital for a seminar with Dr. Noel Williams group. I was impressed so have scheduled a consult with him on August 1. I'm nervous and excited all at once as I have never considered WLS. I have had a life long challenge with my weight and now believe this will be best for me. I appreciate any additional information you can provide.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Welcome, Debbs,

You will find this site very friendly and informative. Feel free to ask questions.

I was banded 5 days ago. Doing well. On full liquids for two weeks. Lost almost 20 lb on preop diet.

Violets are still there. Use your search and put in 'Shrinking Viloets' it should come up.

Margi, I am with everyone else on this. If it doesn't get better in a few days, have a slight unfill. I had to do Protein drinks for a few days after my last fill because I was too tight, but it loosened up. As we lose fat around our stomach, the band gets looser.

Denise, I haven't forgotten about you. I sent Jennifer my last copy and I have to find my original. She said she was going to post the info for all.

Some one did put their nutrition notes on the thread 2 days ago and it is almost the same as mine. You might want to go back and check it out.

OH Thanks Jen, I somehow lost that thread. I'll look for it. It's on the shrinking

violets thread, right?

I tried to find it and I couldn't find it. Could you direct me to it? I put shrinking violets in the search and it said the thread couldn't be found. Then I went to shrinking violets on the first page and it was only101 pages and I know that other thread had over 300 pages.

If you could show me where that page where the nutrition is posted , I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>

Hi Deb

Weclome - This site is FANTASTIC... This site is where i did all my research prior to being banded (Both Phly & I are July Banders - shout out to Phyl:p ) I love the 50+ thread as it is active daily and if you ask a question someone will always respond. ... I feel that weight loss for those 50 + is diff than the 20 - 30 & 40 yr olds out there and out life experience are different too. Our struggle with weight has been a lot longer than the younger ones.

I am 10 days out and feel great have lost 18 lbs since 7/6.. And once I start back at the gym on Monday that should increase. I am on the pureed stage for 2 weeks (yephee :clap2:) I can only eat about 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food at each meal. I would do this again - It is the GREAT'S TOOL IN THE WORLD FOR WEIGHT LOSS.

Well, came back from Vegas a little poorer, but not too bad. Lost about $60 is all. Didn't gain any weight which is a good thing!