Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Hi I guess I must be the oldest of the older and am scheduled for surgery July 16. I've been working on this for about a year. So am going to pay myself but have had one Dr. refuse to do it because I'm on coumadin chronically and am 66 years old but he is the only one who has said I shouldn't do it. Any comments anyone?

My mother had been taking coumadin for some years when she had knee replacement surgery at the age of 82. She survived the operation and went on to live a further 5 years. Surgery is certainly much more complicated when you are taking an anti-coagulent and I would imagine that you will have to be off coumadin for at least a week before your surgery. Your surgeon may also want access to more machines and trained personnel if something arises during your operation. You must remember that no doctor wants anything to go wrong on his watch and so if you are approved you need not worry.

I would suggest that you PM your questions concerning your medical condition and the operation to Was A Bubble Butt. She is a member of this site and she is also someone who is very knowledgable on medical procedures. She is, you see, a very experienced and knowlegable nurse as well as being a fellow lapbander. She does not post in this thread but she posts in many other threads and I cannot think of anyone more capable of answering your questions.

Of course I am sending you all my wishes for your success with respect to getting yourself banded.

I do eat lower carbs and it doesn't seem to be helping. About the only carbs I have is in the morning. I like to eat a high Fiber Cereal so I don't have problems. I do eat a small amount of fruit too, but I am talking like 1/4 of an apple or two strawberries.

My weight loss is stalled again.

I have metabolic syndrome (insulin resistance) so I can loose on weight watchers if I eat high Protein, lower carb meals. If you look at recent studies on weight loss that count calories: One group eats 1200 calories per day, but a high protein, moderate fat, lower carb diet. The second group also eats 1200 calories per day, but a higher carb diet (we all seem to love the carbs). The first group loses 12lbs in a month. The second group loses 3lbs in a month. So........for some of us there is more to losing weight than just counting calories. We need to keep track of carbohydrate intake also to maximize weight loss.

Yep, I read about this study. Interesting.

You know, I think I do better with more Protein than carbs too. When I am very active I tolerate carbs better, but I totally understand the study showed better weight loss with a protein heavy diet. I also think that my metabolism has changed with age. Protein, fruits and veggies - that is best for me.

What I wonder is how many grams of carbs are people recommending? I want a "normalized" diet that I can follow after the weight loss phase. Has anyone read anything about that?

Or better diets after 50?

Best wishes to you all and happy almost holidays!

Simple carbs are the curse of the devil.

Had a bad weekend at a beautiful spa resort. Gained 2 lbs. Have to go weigh in today. Was set for another fill this afternoon too - but cancelled that. I can only eat a couple of bites of real food until I either have to ignore the rest of the food on my plate or try a couple more bites and then walk briskly to the rest room. Big time PB-city. We went to several really nice restaurants and no matter what I ordered for an entree, I could only eat a couple of bites. At the nicest place, very fancy, quiet, seated in the center of a large round room overlooking the city, I had to excuse myself repeatedly after eating a few bites of salad and a very small bite of veal (which tasted exquisite.) The rest of the evening I was up and down to the bathroom. Quite embarrassing and no fun at all. And painful. Did I mention painful? Ouch!!

This is the same place I was about a month ago. Fortunately I will get with the dietician this afternoon and find out what she recommends.

BJean, I wish you the best with your appointment.

I have never heard of the high protien study you all are referring to. I too wonder what the carb breakdown is. My doctor liked the South Beach diet the best. I contacted a group called Bariatic Support International who counsels people who have gained a little weight since having weight loss surgery. There recommendation, is an almost total protien diet, putting your body into ketosis to kick start the weight loss process again and curb the craving for carbs. Of course it takes about 4 days to get over the craving. I don't tolerate meat real well right now so I am trying to decide if I want to do this. I guess I'm getting a little tired of the dieting approach and just want to eat in moderation. That being said, I still have 30 pounds to lose. I did lose 1 pound last week. I may try the high protien thing. Any one have any thoughts about this?

I was so disheartened to read about maximizing weight loss by limiting carbs. I'm a lifelong vegetarian and I never met a Protein source that I liked (except pizza!). I have choked down soy protein for decades, eaten tofu, edamame and cottage cheese until it has come out of my ears, all in the name of good health. But it was okay because I had my satisfying carbs to turn to, to make it all worthwhile.

I had prepared myself to give up bread, popcorn, sweets etc. I don't know much about low-carb eating because I didn't want to start something that I couldn't commit to long term. Do you still talk about "net carbs" so that 100% whole-wheat Pasta would have a much lower carb count that regular pasta? I do love whole grains...

I hate to sound like a whiner, but it feels like I'm spending my days chasing protein, and there's no room for things I love, like fruit and the occasional pretzel. I am prepared and happy to make sacrifices to reduce my weight. But eating is a pleasurable activity, and I'm ready for a little pleasure!:drama::blah::Cry:

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest! I'm ready to act my age again.

karey: I told her about my last couple of weeks of being unable to eat much in the way of Protein or other healthy food. She said I definitely should wait another week before considering a fill - or "adjustment" as they refer to them. Her only real suggestion to get myself on track again was to write down everything I eat. She said I probably am forgetting some of the things I'm eating and will probably be surprised to learn that I am eating more than I think I am. It's a good idea and I am going to do it.

My GP told me last week that I should get on the South Beach diet. He said I do not need any refined carbs at all and should only be eating protein, veggies and fruits. Period. I can probably do that. I've done Adkins several times in the past though and after about 4 or 5 weeks on a high protein diet, I fall off the wagon and go completely carb crazy.

I would also like to just cut down on quantity and lose weight that way - with no deprivation of certain foods. But I may just be fooling myself and the real answers are to keep track of what I eat, and focus on protein, veggies and fruit. If you are eating the good stuff, you won't have the time or the space for the bad stuff. Nice little pep talk... I hope my subconscious is listening! :cool:

Nothing seems to help me. If I don't lose something soon, I am going back on the liquid diet. When I said I eat high Fiber Cereal, I am talking about less

than a half of cup of fiber one cereal. Now I am thinking I should

just drink low carb slim fast and eat broccoli for fiber, although

my dr. says not to drink my calories. :cool:

Bjean: You may be eating more than you think. I know that I was and if I'm not careful even when I write it down, I may forget something. I use a wonderful software program called Diet Power to keep track of what I eat and my exercise. You can download a trial version to use for 2 weeks free at Diet Power Calorie Counter, Diet, and Weight Loss Program. I love this program. It not only keeps track of calories but all your nutrients. I put my Vitamins and everything in it. It tracks Water intake and also tells you what your metabolic rate is based on your weight loss history. It gives you a daily grade, which I find highly motivating for some reason. It takes a little time to put all your special foods into the program, but there are hundreds of food items already in the program. I have also put in several of my favorite recipes and it will figure out calorie count, etc. Anyway, if you really want to keep track, this is a great little program.

I am really going back to basic foods and am starting to get off my platueau. It helps not to be traveling and eat at home more. Good luck to all!

There is a downside to losing a lot of weight which I have been recently discovering. Now I look my age, not years younger. blehhh! :( This really hurts. It seems what the French say about the older woman is true: it is either your ass or your face. :help: I've kinda got my ass back but I've lost my youthful face, eh.:phanvan I figure that this means that whether we get to goal or get stuck in a plateau, either way we are winners. :cool:

Karey - Thanks for the Diet Power recommendation. I set it up this afternoon and think I will really enjoy using this site.

Green - I am not looking forward to aging quickly!! Did you lose a lot of weight quickly or is this something that will happen to all of us? Share more info, please!