Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

I read a list of stuff that they say you'll need and I went out and bought it all. I didn't need any of those things. If you have a person who's available and can run to the store for you if you need something, you might not even worry about it too much before hand. I did stock up on clear liquid type food and the soft stuff to follow. I ate Cream of chicken Soup mostly, after I started the Protein Shakes. For some reason it tasted fabulous! My doctor sent me home with an anti-nausea drug - soppositories, actually - because he said that you don't want to throw up, and they stay good in your refrigerator for a year. Haven't had to use one, but at about 8 days out from surgery I did need something for Constipation which is supposedly pretty normal. Don't mean to give you more information than you want, but I didn't use an oral remedy for that, if you know what I mean. You will probably experience some bloating, but nothing horrendous.

Please keep us posted! Good luck!

for those of you who've been banded a while, have you noticed an increase in your energy? i can't help but think you have since moving around must be easier now. i hope so. i'm tired a lot of the time and don't even feel like doing a little light housework (ok, when have i ever felt like doing it, right?).:tired

Hi...I have a question for that are over 50 with at least 100lbs to lose, do you have a lot of loose skin? I dont know how else to ask that. Thanks

crabcake: Not only do I have more energy, but I have bad knees and they are not nearly as painful as they were when I was 40 lbs. heavier!

2bethinagn: I don't know how one can lose 100 lbs. and not have loose skin. Perhaps if one is young enough and hasn't been 100 lbs. overweight long enough, but I don't know about that. I've only lost 40 lbs. and the bat wing underarms are pretty hideous. I expect them only to get worse as I lose more weight. There are some threads at LBT all about surgeries to correct this problem as well as saggy breasts, excess skin hanging on legs and tummies, etc. It obviously comes with the territory of losing so much weight.

crabcake: Not only do I have more energy, but I have bad knees and they are not nearly as painful as they were when I was 40 lbs. heavier!

that's good to know. my knees are killing me! :omg:

Hi...I have a question for that are over 50 with at least 100lbs to lose, do you have a lot of loose skin? I dont know how else to ask that. Thanks

I know that my skin is a lot less elastic than it used to be when I was younger. I haven't lost 100 lbs yet, but already the skin on the front of my neck is wrinkly and crepe-y. It startles me when I look in the mirror! I'm used to looking much younger than my age (54). So, it's going to be PC for me when I'm down to my goal weight.

On a good note, my teenage son has persuaded me to get up on the trampoline with him. It's wonderful! My feet don't even leave the mat and I'm still getting a good bounce.

Thanks for the responses on the loose skin issue. I was hoping to be told different. LOL But I have been this weight for some time now, I know I dont have the elasticity I used to. I did read a thread on here by one of the younger, alot younger girls and she did the Tummy Tuck. Maybe there will be a medical reason I need one and insurance will pay for it. haha..Thanks girls

Ladies -

I think wrinkly is something we probably need to expect. When I look at my age counterparts, they are lots more wrinkled than I am, which has made me look younger. Plumpness = smoothness

I realize this has been a false vanity belief on my part, because of what the weight has done to my inside and knees is just the opposite; the weight has aged me internally. So, it's a spoon full of medicine that I am gearing up for. Perhaps we can look at each new wrinkle or fold as a victory to our living longer, healthier lives. I also guess I will save up for plastic surgery too.

So wish me luck, my surgery is in 12 days. I am looking forward to those wrinkles - I want to see the real me someday soon.

DynamoMini- Good luck with your upcoming surgery! TT and breast surgery is one thing, but face lifts are another. Not every surgeon is good a face lifts. I am definetly having a TT but I don't know about anything else. Anyway, you're going to love have the band.

Thanks kareyquilts!

I think I deal with the sags and wrinkles in a couple of years. First I have 100 pounds to unload.

You are doing so well. Congrats.

I turned 54 in Jan and lost my 100 lbs ( with more to go) and i am starting to realize that sleeveless shirts are not now or more likely ever in my future! Also the same for shorter shorts ( anything above the knee!!) I can live with that- I will have to! Not sure about surgery to fix all that- just too much money and i really don't want more recovery time. Not sure what i will do but as i have about another 80 or so pounds to go before I make a decision. The part i really don't like now is the "bowl of Jello" shape my body is in now! Know what i mean!!!

Northernsun - Wow! you are amazingly successful. Keep that in mind when you are bemoaning the Jello look. My question is out of personal curiosity - are you working out? I want to know how much sagging I can prevent and tightening I can promote through exercise. So that is why I am asking the question. Even at 100 pounds overweight I am in better shape than I have been in 30 years. So I am hoping, but am realistic. I keep telling myeself - Ok - when I blow up a balloon and let the air out, it never looks like it did before it was blown, so what makes me think I can escape the inevitable?

Hugs and good wishes to you, I wanna to be where you are - 100 pounds down!

Hurrah!

DynamoMini, If you have been excersizing all along I would hope you would tighten up easier but I just started my morning resistance workouts about 3 months ago and before that it was just walking as excersize. Before the band I was reaching a point with my knees that I could hardly walk the dog at all - getting off the couch was hard and walking steps took forever. I was really hoping that with the weight loss I just would look like I did when I was in my 20's!!! You know the saying, wish in one hand.......!

The difference in how I feel and what I can do is what matters to me the most right now. If I have the loose skin I will deal with it or live with it - what ever- as long as it doesn't totally gross out my DH! ( who is very supportive) We will retouch on this subject after I drop the next 70lbs!

Loosing 100 lbs starts with taking the fiirst step- congratulations for taking that first step! Good luck-I still think this has been a heck of a fun ride!

Gayle

Northernsun (Gayle) -

I need to be careful of dreaming irresponsibly because I don't want to sabotage myself. Yes, I can't wait to get on the band wagon and carry less of this weight around. I hear you about the knees. I have been struggling, just recently, so it is a great reinforcer. Oh hell about the loose skin, but the healthy inside is what I am shooting for. I gotta keep my eye on that goal.

Thanks and good luck, your goal is within sight!