Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved mondy!

I had waited so long for this day and now that it happened I notice asking myself could I had done it myself? I lose 20 lbs pre surgery and was doing great. Now I'm thinking could I have done it on my own? I think as well if I could have I would have done it by now right? Hopefully this is just a small confused phase I'm going through :/. Wish me luck :)

I had waited so long for this day and now that it happened I notice asking myself could I had done it myself? I lose 20 lbs pre surgery and was doing great. Now I'm thinking could I have done it on my own? I think as well if I could have I would have done it by now right? Hopefully this is just a small confused phase I'm going through :/. Wish me luck :)

Chances are you may have been able to do some of it yourself but the reality is that even if you did get some of the weight off in most experiences it would not stay off. The sleeve is a tool to help you not only get it off but keep it off. I for one am thrilled at the idea I now have a way of getting the weight of and keeping it off. Don't doubt your decision it is going to prove to be the best thing you ever did. Good luck.

I am still pre surgery, I have a hunch the what you are feeling is perfectly normal and that several of the post sleevers felt that way too. I am excited for you and good luck on your journey. Keep us posted.

I hink part of the reason we are successful pre-sleeve losing the weight is that we are motivated to get the sleeve and continue. We know that we finally have the tools and know how to lose the weight for good and this changes our mind state which helps lose that weight

I was also sleeved Monday :D I had some of the same doubts before the surgery, especially since I lost 40 lbs pre-op. But what I did was remind myself of all of the diets and exercise programs that i've done before and their success rates. Then I looked into my future... I remembered that I don't want this cycle to continue. I want to be healthy and I don't want this black cloud hanging over my head. From here on out we're on the loser's bench and things are going to go our way from now on!

Please take pictures of yourself this way you can remind yourself why you did it. I'm in the process not approved at this time by insurance. The good thing is they do cover it is just a matter of time. Good Luck!

I'm 10 days post op and struggled with the same questions right up to when they put me under for surgery. I held on to a few facts:

1. if I could diet my way out of this, I would have already

2. the only times in my life where my weight was in control was when I exercised continuously, was an army infantry man and when I worked as a finish and frame carpenter and built houses. Even in those situations, I was pushing the heavy side or had a BMI that put me overweight.

3. Getting older, i will require a smaller caloric intake and my job no longer keeps me active

4. I have young kids at an older age and need to preserve my youth as long as possible

5. The health care system is changing and may make this option less available

6. The health care bureaucracy is spinning up and being overweight will create all sorts of issues, fines and kinda of punitive damages invoked as a way to "help me"

7. The success rate for this surgery is very high

Your feelings are pretty normal. I think a lot of us go through them. I know I did and I got a lot of support on this board. It's a difficult decision to make but most of us, if not all of us, don't get there lightly. We've considered all of our experiences and what we went through to get here. It's a pretty radical choice, and one that many people still don't understand and even criticize. Even many in the medical profession! So it's probably quite normal for doubts to creep in here and there. I really like the way Mr. Smith above detailed his reasons. Sometimes we need to do that to remind ourselves and not get bogged down with the negative thoughts that sneak in! I will share that the day of surgery, as I was getting my IV put in, I had this urge to run out straight to my car and drive home and just forget the whole thing!!! LOL I think the only thing that kept me there was the fact I was wearing a hospital gown... and I didn't want to show everyone my butt!!! LOL

Best of luck on your journey. Enjoy all your successes!!!