Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Experience and info needed

Hi guys

I have my final consultation on the 3rd october for the sleeve operation but i have already been approved ! i wanted some inside info on how much people have lost and the good and bad and the do's and dont's !! i am very excited and just a bit about myself im around 19 stones and 5ft 11 high i have put on most of my weight from age 17 onwards after a traumatic experience in my life - i am a fat girl in a thin girls body lol just waiting to burst out and get my confidence back (dont even like getting on the bus these days because i think people are staring thinking im disgusting !!)

any help and comments welcome and well done to those that are doing soooo well in there journey your all fab ladies im sure

Holly (england!!) xxx

post-16352-13813657479138_thumb.jpg

Holly, I'm three weeks post-op and my experience has been pretty good. I was up and walking within a few hours of surgery. Although I don't remember it, my friend tells me that I insisted on walking from the surgery bed to my hospital bed because I didn't want them sliding me from one to the other. I was in some discomfort after surgery and used pain meds the first afternoon. By that night, I was refusing the meds because I didn't think the pain was that bad. Others have had different experiences, of course. My legs hurt more than my tummy because I was really working the leg muscles rather than my tummy muscles to get up and down.

I got out of the hospital the next afternoon and that night I was pretty uncomfortable trying to sleep. I couldn't take my pain meds, though, because I didn't know the conversion from mLs to tablespoons, so make sure you know how much a dose of your liquid pain meds is when you go home. I had no one to call at 2am when I needed that info, so I didn't get to take my pain medication that night! After that, I didn't need any meds.

Start walking now so that it's easier when you get home. You will want and need to walk a lot after surgery, both for the exercise and to help with the gas pain in your back and shoulders. Practice sipping and eating tiny bites of food, since that's what you'll be doing afterwards. Also, there are a few lists around here for what to take to the hospital. You may want to look at those and see what you need. Shop for your after-surgery food and Vitamins beforehand. I had NO desire to go in a store for groceries. Thank goodness my son doesn't mind doing that!

Most importantly, follow YOUR surgeon's recommendations about what you should be eating and when. He knows best about what you should be drinking and eating and he's the one who will have to deal with any post-op issues you have. Lastly, if there is a support group, start attending now so that you have someone to call afterwards for moral support... and, of course, read, read, read here to get answers to questions that may not have occurred to you yet.

Good luck!! :)

Thanks so much for your reply every little bit of information i can get really helps - il have to keep every one updated on when i get my date for surgery -

How are you finding the actual diet and the ammount of food you have cut back ?

what sort of things can you eat now ?

and finally HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST ??? bet its sooo exciting now your losing ? i cant wait !

do you feel like it has changed your life yet hun ? has weight always been a issue for you or has your weight gain been recent ? xxx