Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMKELLER,

I do appreciate your concern and your honesty. I realize so many people only want to see the positive they never even consider the negatives. I have spoke at long lengths with my counselor about the depression that many face after the surgery even when things are going well. I do worry about that, especially now with everything else I am going thru, but I think I feel more depressed when I think about being overweight for the rest of my life. I may have needed her (my wife) help to get me started, but I feel I can go the distance on my own. I do have a few friends that will be there for me and a wonderful support group. My main fear is what if something goes wrong and I am home alone with my kids. I wasn't even planning to tell their mother I was having the surgery (she thinks I'm going on a vacation that week), but I guess I better man up and let her know.

Like I said I will discuss it with the surgeon and if he has any doubts then I will postpone it.

Thank you again for your honesty and for pointing out it's not alway six pack abs and beautiful women on the other side. Bt a boy can dream can't he.

I am worried about post op support after leaving the hospital. I am scheduled to have a gastric sleeve done in 1 month and my wife decided to leave me. Can/will anybody tell me if this can be done alone? I have always been pretty independant but I never palnned on going thru this by myself.

To make it even better my weight loss counselor at my program is moving to Alaska in a week.

I kind of feel lost and am thinking of cancelling the surgery.

Any advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

I wasn't going to respond to your post but I had to. Brother, this is your chance to bounce back by looking better and feeling better. Your a man, this is what men do, we go it alone when we have to and we beat the odds. NEVER let another person get in the way of your chance to live a normal, healthier life. She was just a bump in the road. When your looking better, your confidence goes through the roof. After a while you will wonder why you wasted so much time thinking about that person. Living well is th best revenge, take the chance, we only get one life...

Yes, but at least you don't have to dream for lost youth. I'm two months out now and forty pounds down (from my highest) and it feels GREAT. Wasn't planing on getting a rooster neck, but oh well. I definitely recommend the procedure (sleeve), but do make sure you have supports in place - especially with kids in the picture. Let us know your progress.

SMKELLER,

I do appreciate your concern and your honesty. I realize so many people only want to see the positive they never even consider the negatives. I have spoke at long lengths with my counselor about the depression that many face after the surgery even when things are going well. I do worry about that, especially now with everything else I am going thru, but I think I feel more depressed when I think about being overweight for the rest of my life. I may have needed her (my wife) help to get me started, but I feel I can go the distance on my own. I do have a few friends that will be there for me and a wonderful support group. My main fear is what if something goes wrong and I am home alone with my kids. I wasn't even planning to tell their mother I was having the surgery (she thinks I'm going on a vacation that week), but I guess I better man up and let her know.

Like I said I will discuss it with the surgeon and if he has any doubts then I will postpone it.

Thank you again for your honesty and for pointing out it's not alway six pack abs and beautiful women on the other side. Bt a boy can dream can't he.

I was sleeved in July and could have done it alone. I would suggest that you get all of your post op supplies beforehand, and maybe stay in the hospital an extra day. They will let you if you can't drink enough fluids- you can arrange that. I would have liked the extra day to regain strength. Make sure you have all of your power cords handy- phone, laptop etc. You will want to go on this site to connect with all of us. You will go through your "omg-what did I do - am I insane - life really wasn't so bad before -how could I- stage and worry about not losing much the first week, that early stall, and the pain in the left ribcage/shoulder area. We will be glad to listen and calm your fears and cheer you on. This is a judgement free zone! Im sorry your wife left, that must have been quite a blow, but as the lbs drop off, you will become amazingly confident and feel and look much better and everytime you hear from others how great you look, the pain will become less! Good luck!

Hi Cam,I read your answer about not losing the first week and the stall.Can you please explain ?I was sleeved Oct.3rd and haven't lost anything since I came home from the hospital.Is this normal?Thank you.