Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Fills, But No Results

Guest mikaymo

Guest mikaymo

I got my second fill already and now I am at two cc's. This lapband is not working at all. I can eat like normal. My doctor is lying to me. He said that the band is full all the way. I believe he's lying because the fills were included into the payment of the surgery. I am so sad, It cost so much money and it's not working at all. I'm reading all your stories about how the doctor gives you a fill while you are drinking some stuff, my doctor hasn't done that. Not to mention he poked with the needle about 20 times to find my port. Please someone help me find a doctor that will fill me in Southern California. Please!!!

You may have to be willing to go to TJ. My doc does all fills under fluoroscopy, unless you request not. It's about $100 for the fluoro, and I'm not sure about the doc's fee - probably in the $50-$100 range.

I believe they would be willing to fill a non-patient of theirs, although I would not swear to it.

Email me off list for the office number if you're interested. There are also other Mexican docs there that may be willing to fill you, but I don't have numbers for them (I'm not pushing my doc's office, I just have their info.)

If your doc stuck you 20 times, it's possible that he punctured your tubing and you have a leak, which would be an explanation for your lack of restriction at 2.0 cc. However, if they're able to draw that amount of Fluid back out, perhaps you have a similar problem to Shelly, and the Fluid is hiding in some pocket in the port. Or maybe you just need a lot more fluid than others. I believe most people would feel a difference at 2.0, but not all, I suppose.

Anyway, best of luck, and good for you to be pursuing an answer.

i didnt feel ANY restriction at 2.0 cc, at 2.6 cc's or even 2.8 cc's it took me getting to 3.0 cc's to feel anything and at 3.4 cc's i have pretty good restriction.

is your dr a US dr? i contacted INAMED and they contacted my dr and lit a fire under their hiney. i had been telling them for MONTHS (november - march) that something was wrong that i didnt have restriction and it wasnt until INAMED called them that i got attention from my dr.

i was filled to 4.2 cc's though. i had gone through 10+++ fills and they had filled the band beyond capacity.

i would DEMAND that your dr fill you again (especially since its covered in the price you paid) when they banded you they said fills were covered. that means if they have to do the fill under x-ray or use contrast saline to make sure the fill is going into the band then they need to do it.

if that fails i would seek another COMPETANT dr.

I lived in So. California 20 years and now live in Vegas. Dr. Juan Antonio Lopez Corvala did my surgery in Tijuana. He used to be partnered with Dr. Oritz, but now Ortiz has his own practice. I was fortunate to meet both of them (there were 2 Lopez patients and 4 Ortiz patients with me in the hospital getting banded.) Both Lopez and Ortiz are the-best-of-the-best and actually train American doctors on lap band procedures. I was apprehensive about going to Mexico, but the staff takes excellent care of American patients. I haven't had a fill yet, but my friend just flew to San Diego for her first fill. She took a trolly from the airport to the border, then walked across the border into Mexico where Dr. Lopez's staff was waiting to drive her to the hospital to get filled. The fill was $50.00 plus $100 for the x-ray. You might consider calling them per Donali's advice. Lopez's staff has California numbers. The clinic is called Obesity Control Clinic, and the coordinator is Nora (619) 247-4813.

I live in Southern California but had my surgery in TJ Mexico

My doctor does his under fluoro with a barium swallow. You might want to call one of the Mexican doctors they will usually help anyone regardless if you had your surgery with them or not, my doctor charges 100.00 . His name is Dr Ortiz, here is the number to call to inquire about fill info. 619-270-1126 ask for Veronica she is very sweet and helpful. I just scheduled my first fill for Monday June7th, I'm driving down to the border and taking a taxi to the clinic. There are many other wonderful doctors in Mexico who can help. Dr Lopez, Dr Kuri just to name a couple of others.

Michelle

265/240/160ish

Dr Ortiz

Dr. Lopez did my surgery, but I met Dr. Ortiz while in the hospital. I was extremely impressed with him as well as Lopez. I wasn't even a patient of Dr. Ortiz, but he checked up on me twice anyway. Uh, and he's not a bad looker either! Hot damn!

Hi,

I am also at 2 cc's and feel very little restriction. I see my Dr. again soon (her office just called to cancel my appt. for the 16th so I have to reschedule). My doctor did withdraw the saline last time, and said that it was all there, so I assume I do not have a leak. She also does not do fluoro because (in her opinion) it is a deceptive practice because it only shows the passage of liquids and not solids -it seems many doctors disagree. I, too, am very frustrated because I can eat anything and lots of it. I have not gained weight, but it has been the same old struggle. I am hoping, and assuming that it is just because I need more of a fill to be properly restricted; it seems that some do, I guess. My doctor has not billed me for fills, but my insurance has been billed for two of my three (first seemed to be part of surgery cost) for $500 a pop! I think it is very odd that your Dr. will not do further fills??? I suspect, that like me, you just are not properly restricted yet. Please keep us posted about what happens, okay? I am definitely in sympathy because I feel the same way sometimes---all the testing, surgery, anxiety, and no results. I am really trying to stay postive and be patient. The people here are very supportive and have lots of information for you!

Sultana

Guest o2bthin

i have also just had my first fill and i am feeling exactly the same, even though its comforting to know that some one is in the same shoes it makes you think is this thing ever going to work huh!!.i have a good doctor that will fill me again soon. i was very nervous getting the fill but was really surprized how simple it was and have no problem getting another. i am getting fed and go on this web site regular and hear of all the great stories and wish it was me saying how much weight i have lost but none so far . i still eat and drink as usual really . except soda and soft white bread are a big no no for me. i still have hunger and eat , not really as much as before but not enough to lose weight i am just maintaining. i am sure we just haven't had enough fill yet and am praying this is going to work for both of us !!. because no diet known to man has ever worked for me i am thinking this is just another failed attempt. but it has too think about it , its just not working for us as we are still eating to much to lose but when we put less in we will lose we just need more fill to be able to stop.my trouble has always been knowing when to stop and eat to a real full feeling always,so i know i will probably need to be filled probably a couple more times to see results. i have some feed back and read before that this is common but like you i feel like i am the one it won't work for but i am sure we just need more fill !!!!! let me know on your progress and i will let you know after fill two if it feels any different for me o.k chin up we will do this o.k

so far I have had 3 fills and I don't feel much restriction either. Luckily my insurance is covering everything otherwise I would be upset as well. Be more vocal to your doctor and let him know - you paid HIM/HER for a service and you should be 100% happy with it. Request to have it under flouro - then you will know for sure. I just think it takes everyone time to get to the "sweet spot" and I wouldn't sweat it right now. One thing I have really come to realize is that I gained this weight in 15 + years and I am not going to loose it in 6 months. I wouldn't worry too much yet as this is only the second fill. Hey, you never know it might creep up on you when you least expect it!!! Hang in there though and know that you are not alone!!!:D

Hi,

I am trying to be optimistic and hoping that when we do get filled to the point where this will work that this will seem like needless worry. I am going for my fourth fill on the 23rd of this month. My Dr. fills very conservatively, so I am at 2cc after 3 fills. I am hoping that this one will be the one for me.

I really do know how you feel. I, too, try NOT to think that this is just a failure that I went through hell for!! I say let's just give it more time, keep coming here for support, and hope that the next fill will be THE one!!

Sultana

Hang in there Sultana... I know exactly how you feel and hey I have had 3 fills and am only at 1.5cc's.

The bad thing is that my doc won't do fills under floro unless there is a problem and now we are beginning to think I may just have something wrong. Starting with fill #2, the doc has never been able to withdraw what she put in the time before... so who knows for sure what is happening. She sent me home after fill 3 with an understanding that if I still have no restriction, not to wait the full 6 weeks for my next visit... but to come back in 3 weeks and see if she can pull all 1.5 cc's out... if she can't then she will finally make arrangements for me to have a fill under floro with a dye to see if I have a leak.

I still have no real restriction, so I am going back in 3 weeks... we will see what happens.

Keep us in the loop on your progress and realize that you are not alone. It seems like a lot of us are checking into your post and telling you that we have your back. Keep your chin up and remember what Lioness shared... We didn't put on this weight overnight, so it is going to take some time to get to our 'sweet spot' and start losing again.

Take Care,

Hi Anne,

I am trying to remain optimistic, and I have to say that all the encouragement here helps a lot. I am very sorry that you are having the same problem. I really hope you don't have a leak. At least my Dr. has been able to withdraw all she has previously put in each time I go--a good sign. My Dr., like yours, does not do fluoro; she believes it is a "flawed process" because it only shows the passage of liquid and not food. I know many doctors disagree, and I think I would feel more secure with fluoro. I will keep you posted about my 4th fill on the 23rd. Please keep us posted about yours too, okay?

Here's what I can typically eat: (today's lunch)--about a cup and a half of chicken salad with grapes, walnuts, and pineapple, 5 small meatballs, a two-inch square of spinach lasagna, a chicken leg, two large strawberries, and two small brownies. It was an end of school covered dish lunch (I am a teacher). Isn't that ridiculous? I have never had even a twinge of heartburn or felt even remotely like PBing. The most I ever feel is some pain with the first few bites going DOWN (never up), probably because I am hungry and not chewing well. My doctor keeps talking about what I eat (and I do watch carbs) and Portion Control. If I could do portion control, I would have never gone through this process!

I am trying to maintain my 26 pound loss; I do exercise regularly

School is out tomorrow, and I am now setting my sights for September and hoping that I can loose a noticeable amount of weight by then. Thanks for the encouragement. Same to you!

Sultana

Guest sheka99

This sounds all too familiar to me but i must say that my story is even more sad then yours. I got banded on 12/12/02 and to date have only lost a total of 26 pounds. The capacity of my band is 11/12cc and i am up to 9cc and i still have almost no restrictions.

I can eat just like before. I do occasionally PB if i eat too quickly or don't chew well or take too big a bite. Otherwise i can still eat the same amout i used to before surgery.

My doctor refuses to close it up to the max because he wants me to show some type of motivation. Threfore, he would want me to lose about 10 pounds on my own(using my willpower) to show my good faith and my participation. What irks me is that if i was able to do that in the 1st place i would not have needed to have surgery. Does it make sense? The band is suppose to be a tool that allows you to feel full quickly. If that tool is not working what other alternative do you have?

I don't want to keep on being overweight and i must admit that my life's biggest challenge has always been to lose weight. I thouhgt the band was the answer to all my worries. I realize that it wasn't, because in my case it didn't work. Why? It still remains a mistery.

I hope i can one day get over the disappointment of its failure and overcome the challanges ahead and allow myself the pleasure of knowing what it feels like to be thin by being able to control my appetite and follow a sensible diet and therefore lose my excess weight. I am currently at 211.5 and would like to get down to 140. I will be trying hard in the next few weeks to lose those 10 pounds, and then give the band one last chnace when the doctor will fill it up completely and see what happens. Whatever happens i will keep you all posted.

Sheka -

I suppose there's no chance in getting another doctor who's willing to work your band?

I really feel for you - hang in there!! And GRRRRRRR to your doc. :D

Hi there, I just had my first fill today. I was his 1st fill he ever done. He did great. He only give me .8 and liquids for 2 days, etc. Pray this will help. I've lost 18lbs in 6weeks.