Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do you we have to drink so much?

One of the reasons is to prevent kidney stones. It can happen if you dont drink enough.. I am living proof of that. I think its dangerous to get dehydrated and because some of us are gulpers, not sippers, its difficult. It was not difficult to swallow but its hard to remember to constantly drink!

Everyone is supposed to get 64oz of Water in per day. Most people can drink a lot at once, so it's harder for us sippers to get that much in, so they push it. I have never consumed 64oz of Fluid a day in my life and wasn't dehydrated before, so I'm not freaking out about it now, but I do try to sip all day to at least maintain how much I was drinking before. I was also told to drink lots of water with the liquid vicodin right after surgery because it can cause Constipation. The main thing is to stay hydrated, whatever that means for you.

I am not dehydrated, I am not hungry between meals, and I am not drinking 64 oz a day. Is there any other reasons to be drinking so much?

Remember too that this Fluid rule applies to ALL fluids you're taking in, it's not just meaning Water alone. That said, keeping well hydrated preventatively is much better than getting to the point you are dehydrated. Once you get "thirsty" it's really meaning you are behind the curve. I'm never ever really "thirsty" because I'm pushing around 100-120 oz of Water a day, rain or shine.

Aside from other mentions on why we should drink more, I'd like to point out that drinking plenty of water or fluids helps with the weight loss too. It helps to avoid water retention, and if you are eating low carb, it will flush out your spent fat stores.

All the best to you in your journey!

Just one more thing to add here--when we could eat a lot, we got quite a lot of Water from food. Now that the quantites we can eat are limited, we're not getting so much water from that source any more. I never drank water when I was fat and I wasn't dehydrated, but I ate vast quantites of fruits, melon, veggies, creamed things, etc., all containing water. Now I have to drink good ol' H2O to keep from getting thirsty.

Good thread. I have learned a lot from this. Thank you!

I agree with what Foxbins said. The reason most people don't drink 64 oz of Water and don't get dehydrated is because they are getting the majority of their liquids from their food. Since you (and me soon!) are eating a LOT less you aren't getting very much liquid from what you are eating and you have to make it up by drinking it. Also, when we are losing weight our body needs about 4lbs of water to "flush out" 1lb of fat. So that is why when people are in stalls they suggest drinking more water, because it is believed that the body is collecting the water it needs to dispose of the fat. The last thing is that I have heard that we often cannot detect signs of dehydration until it is severe. You may be a bit dehydrated and not realize it. I would say drink it anyways!

How much does drinking Water change post sleeve? I am a HUGE water drinker and at the gym I chug down at least 48 oz of water and thats in an hours time! Will I still be able to gulp it down or will I be taking dainty lil sips? Sorry to jack the thread, just one question I swear :D

How much does drinking Water change post sleeve? I am a HUGE Water drinker and at the gym I chug down at least 48 oz of water and thats in an hours time! Will I still be able to gulp it down or will I be taking dainty lil sips? Sorry to jack the thread, just one question I swear :D

You will only be able to sip at first. You will be able to drink more after your stomach swelling goes down. It took me a couple of months before I could gulp a lot of water. I was able to drink normally after about 6 weeks.

I am 5 months out and I still can't gulp. I can take two big swallows but the third one will be intensely painful. I have learned to drink much more slowly than before. I concur that Water "flushes" out the fat. The more I drink, the more I lose.

How much does drinking Water change post sleeve? I am a HUGE Water drinker and at the gym I chug down at least 48 oz of water and thats in an hours time! Will I still be able to gulp it down or will I be taking dainty lil sips? Sorry to jack the thread, just one question I swear :D

There seems to be two different scanarios, both polar opposites. Some folks can continue to drink fluids like they could pre-sleeve. Then the other side, which is where I fell into, we could only take the tiniest sips for the longest time. I felt like I was sipping all day long just to get the minimum 64 oz. It was tough! Tough it's very necessary.

Both of these results are quite normal.

Good luck!