Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up

Help... Im 10 weeks out of surgery. Whenever I try to eat ground beef, ground turkey, or chicken I throw up. Matter of fact I throw up alot unless its Soup or cheese or something very soft. I am beyond frustrated. When I work I stick to glucerna shakes because I do not have time to be sick. If I drink to big of a sip of Water - yep - I throw up. Ive lost 37lbs since surgery. I havent had any vegetables because Im scared. I barely eat. Any suggestions?:o

I'm 4 weeks out and the only things I keep down every time are yogurt and cheese sticks. So for lunch that is what I bring so I don't get sick at work. I have trouble with meat as well and bread. I tried to make a half grilled cheese with whole grain bread and that didn't go well. I was hoping that as time goes by it would get easier to eat meat especially since it is high in Protein.

Good luck.

Wow, that stinks! Have you tried prilosec or another PPI? Maybe your surgeon can help you? I've never had that issue but I certainly feel for you! I'm sure you will get better over time but I sense your frustration that at 10 weeks you're still having problems.

Good luck!

Help... Im 10 weeks out of surgery. Whenever I try to eat ground beef, ground turkey, or chicken I throw up. Matter of fact I throw up alot unless its Soup or cheese or something very soft. I am beyond frustrated. When I work I stick to glucerna shakes because I do not have time to be sick. If I drink to big of a sip of Water - yep - I throw up. Ive lost 37lbs since surgery. I havent had any vegetables because Im scared. I barely eat. Any suggestions?:o

i can tell you that i had the same issues. i eventually had to have a scopr. i was sleeved june 2010 and was like you and couldnt tolerate any dense Protein. i was scoped last month and since then i have been able to eat very small amts of protein

I am so sorry you are going through this! I would call and ask your surgeon because something isn't normal. You shouldn't be throwing up that much at any stage. Please call?

I agree to call your doc, but also, if you're not taking a PPI (antacid, prescription strength), you should. I have posted this numerous times, so I apologize if anyone is tired of me saying it, but I had these issues for the first 7 weeks after surgery until some folks on this forum suggested that I take Prilosec (omeprazole is the generic). It made a huge difference.

Some sleeves just heal slower than others--you may need to just slow down advancing your diet--the "typical" diets that folks can eat post-surgery don't work for everyone. Since you can tolerate some types of Protein, focus on those for now and allow your sleeve to heal entirely.

I'm 5-1/2 months out from surgery, and I still can't tolerate roast beef, eggs, or baked/broiled chicken (except in soup). I still eat a lot of Soup. And I've lost a little more than 85 pounds since surgery. Best of all, once the Prilosec kicked in, the only times I've been sick have been because I tried to eat a new food that my sleeve didn't like OR I accidentally over-ate.

Keep us posted--I really hope things turn around for you soon! I've been where you are, and it is not fun at all.

I agree to call your doc, but also, if you're not taking a PPI (antacid, prescription strength), you should. I have posted this numerous times, so I apologize if anyone is tired of me saying it, but I had these issues for the first 7 weeks after surgery until some folks on this forum suggested that I take Prilosec (omeprazole is the generic). It made a huge difference.

I agree that the PPI is really important! My surgeon automatically prescribes this for everyone of his patients, and he said that some people are on it indefinitely. I'm surprised that some surgeon's don't even mention it.

I had my 6 week check up Tuesday and the doctor told me to take either Prilosec or Zantac OTC either one. I was having some of those same issues. I will see if it helps. They aso mentioned that at 6 weeks out you are still very swollen inside.

Have most people had success with the OTC meds or have you had to get a prescription strength?

It takes a while for your stomach to get used to meats again. And as for bread......I was sleeved in May and this is almost October .....4 months and I still have trouble with bread. It fills me up in a most uncomfortable way.

I started out at work eating yogurt, string cheese, chicken noodle Soup, turkey lunch meat the one sliced really really fine and chew chew chew, smooth Peanut Butter on saltine cracker more Peanut Butter than crackers though, poached eggs, refried Beans with grated cheese on top. Baked fish goes down really easy and I did alot of fish at first. I also like the imitation crab meat (which is really fish too). Stay away from greasy as that might upset tummy too (mayo etc). ketchup & salad dressing is what I use for dry meals.

Bread, rice give me a too full hurting tummy feeling. For some reason real chicken tenders fried go down better than baked.....but I only do fried foods once and a while.

I would not suggest ground meat at first. Red meat (even ground) is hard to digest.

Hope these tips help!

It does get better!

It takes a while for your stomach to get used to meats again. And as for bread......I was sleeved in May and this is almost October .....4 months and I still have trouble with bread. It fills me up in a most uncomfortable way.

I started out at work eating yogurt, string cheese, chicken noodle Soup, turkey lunch meat the one sliced really really fine and chew chew chew, smooth Peanut Butter on saltine cracker more Peanut Butter than crackers though, poached eggs, refried Beans with grated cheese on top. Baked fish goes down really easy and I did alot of fish at first. I also like the imitation crab meat (which is really fish too). Stay away from greasy as that might upset tummy too (mayo etc). ketchup & salad dressing is what I use for dry meals.

Bread, rice give me a too full hurting tummy feeling. For some reason real chicken tenders fried go down better than baked.....but I only do fried foods once in a while.

I would not suggest ground meat at first. Red meat (even ground) is hard to digest.

Hope these tips help!

Need to change ticker again.............163 yea!!!!

It does get better!