Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon Out Did You Start Exercising?

I was sleeved on the 26th of August, I was just wondering how soon everyone started exercising. My surgeon encourages light cardio like walking and the stationary bike. I've been doing the stationary bike for 30 min a day on level one for the past couple of days, but it is sooooo boring! Anywhoo..

Thanks in advance for answers!

Sarah

I had to wait six weeks for anything but walking, but I still haven't done anything but walking. So in other words, I'm still waiting to start working out. ;) I did add walking to/from work to my routine, so I can't castigate myself for being a complete lazy couch potato.

I began walking the same day of surgery. Every single day I did my very best to do more and more... even if that meant I only took an additional few steps. I think it's important part of your recovery, but I also think it's even more so important to heal and recover before trying to get too far back into working out. Believe me, I'm a workout freak too... I always have been. Yes, even when I was over 300 Lbs.

That said, it took me an entire 4 MONTHS to get fully back on track!! I was really fatigued a lot and for a long time. No amount of working out helped this, I just needed to allow time to pass and to continue recovery the best way I could. Eventually the more time between me and surgery the better I felt.

In time I started doing more than I ever could! I'm a runner now and before my last PS I could continuously run for up to an hour no problem.

Just do what you can, and try to push yourself only a little bit every day. Doing the exercise bike is great. Just do what you can for now, perhaps watch your favorite TV show while doing it and it won't be so boring that way. Eventually you will be more athletic than ever! :D

4 months, felt like crap for the first 2 or so and gave myself some more time off. Been swimming 3 days a week and working gout in the gym 1 or 2 days a week.

I haven't had surgery yet, but when I asked my surgeon how long before I could go back to the gym he said "whenever you feel up to it". He said for swimming it was the same answer but if I want "pretty" scars then I should wait at least 4 weeks to allow my scars to heal. I was pretty surprised that I wasn't given a specific time frame, but at the same time I am pretty good at knowing when I am pushing myself and when I am pushing myself too far so I like that I don' t have any restrictions other than what my body tells me.

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of starting the couch 2 5k thing, on the treadmill, so 9 weeks from now I can run for 30 min continuously. I can't wait to be the athlete I have always wanted to be!!

I too started walking as soon as I could, probably 2 weeks... I then 'progressed' to the Wii fit... I really enjoyed doing that for many mths and slowly incorportated going to the free gym in work, where I went on the cycle, treadmill, rowing machine and free weights... I have to admit, that I am loving my work outs at the moment, especially going to the boxing gym!

I did light walking for the first 4 weeks, but I felt pretty bad and thought I needed more time to heal. Around week 4 I added other forms. I golfed a little, started swimming a little. At week 5 or 6, I began going to the gym and using elliptical and started riding my bike outdoors. Last week was week 8 and I began a little strength training. I basically just do what I feel like doing on any given day and it seems more fun that way. I enjoy many activities and like to keep it mixed up. Just listen to your body;if you feel better, keep it up. If you feel worse for wear, take it down a notch, but most of all HAVE FUN and you will stick with it!

Walking from the day of surgery, of course - as is the recommendation of most surgeons. Started back into mild strength training, avoiding ab/core work, after the third week - used the machines to better isolate muscle groups and dropped weight to about half the pre-op level; got back into ab/core work after twelve weeks. Resumed swimming after about five weeks (had a tempermental incision that continued weeping a bit for a while.)

I started walking as soon as I got home, and have been increasing time, distance, and intensity. After about 3 weeks I started using my stationary bike - I want to do everything I can to ensure I'm losing fat, not muscle mass, so I keep my metabolism up. At my 9 week checkup, I asked the surgeon about exercise restrictions, and he said I could do anything at that point, so I joined yoga at work and want to start adding some strength training to my regimen - see if I can reduce my bat wings.

I think it's all a matter of finding something you enjoy, and as the weight comes off, you'll enjoy the energy you're feeling, and the strength of your new body. For me, music during my workout is crucial - keeps my pace up, and makes it so much more enjoyable.