Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Emotion Overload!!!!

Am I the only one feeling this way?

Status: Surgery tentatively planned for early October. Psych eval & Dietician appts et up for next week and the week following.

Problem: I am ALL over the map with my emotions. I'm sooooooooo excited to have made this decision but then I'm anxious about it. Am I really doing the right thing? I get down on myself when I start to think about why it is that I can conquer this darn weight issue on my own? I get sad and start feeling sorry for myself when I think of the path that lead me to this point. Then I feel so empowered when I realize that I'm taking this huge step to help my health.

Happy, sad, anxious, angry, frustrated ... the list goes on and on!!!!

Has anyone else felt this way? Will it go away?

-Lisa

Lisa, EVERYONE feels this way, so you're totally normal. Try not to get caught up in it and focus on the reasons you started down this path. Looking at before and after pictures really helped me. You'll probably freak out the worst in the days just before your surgery, but all that fear and anxiety vanishes as soon as you wake up. A lot of people then experience buyer's remorse during recovery, but if you'll look at posts from people who are farther out, everyone is so happy and thrilled that they did this and there's this resounding echo of "I wish I had done this sooner." Stay positive and hang in there.

Thank you, I appreciate your comments. :) It's good to know I'm not alone and that it will go away. My surgeon said something kind of funny to me, he said that in all of the years he's been doing VSG he's never had anyone come back to him asking for their stomach back! LOL, I thought that was pretty funny.

Your surgeon is right. Even if you look through the complications section, it seems everyone who has the surgery does not regret having it. Congrats on getting your date!

I feel for you....I have struggled with this from day one. I am 3 days from surgery and still struggling. The liquid fast is really doing a number on my emotions, but I know in the long run I will be happier (and hopefully less anxious). I am just praying my will power stays with me.

I know exactly how you feel other than I haven't got a date yet huh.gif I even posted something similar "feeling the blues". Good luck, keep reading in these forums. It's really helped me.

Lisa, I just joined and I thought you must of read my mind. My pre-op appt. is tomorrow (9/12) and last week I just made myself crazy. Should I try to lose more on my own for the next 4-6 months being that my Ins. letter is good for a year. My surgery date is 9/26. I have never belonged to a gym b4 this, nor gone to Water aerobics like I have the last couple months. So I have been losing. But then there is the question as to how will I keep this weight off? I have done so much yo yo dieting and that can't be healthy. I am 55 and do believe I have more quality life to live yet. One 2 yr old grandchild that I want to see grow up. But man this teeter totter keeps coming back. This is really a drastic measure. I asked my Dr. what if I get seriously sick or get stomach cancer- what happens with 85% of it gone. He said that a person can live without their stomach and I never knew that before. Ask questions of your Dr. your fears can be calmed.

I am glad to hear we are normal for feeling this way. I plan on asking tomorrow- up to what point can I cancel my surgery. I really just feel so confused some days. I have stopped telling people close to me that I am going to have the surgery- to many people don't understand the journey.

Lisa,

I feel the same way. My emotions are all over the place. On one hand I think surgery is so extreme and maybe I could do some of it on my own. On the other hand I know in my head that I will never be able to maintain any weight loss without surgery. My husband thinks it's too extreme but has never had a weight issue. When we met, I was at my lowest adult weight in my life and it lasted about minute. I feel like I miss out on so many family things because of weight. BUT....i also don't have any major health issues yet (besides being 100 lbs over-weight :D) I'm afraid of dehydration, missing food, liquid diet for weeks, acid problems, ulcers, possible gall-bladder problems, etc etc that can all come with sleeve. How to know if the benefits out-weigh the possible negatives??

Ellie

Am I the only one feeling this way?

Status: Surgery tentatively planned for early October. Psych eval & Dietician appts et up for next week and the week following.

Problem: I am ALL over the map with my emotions. I'm sooooooooo excited to have made this decision but then I'm anxious about it. Am I really doing the right thing? I get down on myself when I start to think about why it is that I can conquer this darn weight issue on my own? I get sad and start feeling sorry for myself when I think of the path that lead me to this point. Then I feel so empowered when I realize that I'm taking this huge step to help my health.

Happy, sad, anxious, angry, frustrated ... the list goes on and on!!!!

Has anyone else felt this way? Will it go away?

-Lisa

Ellie, you said something that made me think and I'd like to share with you, "(besides being 100 lbs over-weight :D) I'm afraid of dehydration, missing food, liquid diet for weeks, acid problems, ulcers, possible gall-bladder problems, etc etc that can all come with sleeve. How to know if the benefits out-weigh the possible negatives??"

I am 46 years old, over 100 pounds overweight, miss food when I'm dieting all the time, have acid problems (gerd) have an ulcer, have had my gallbladder removed,,etc..so I have everything on the negative list and much more. The older you get, the more problems you have when you have alot of extra weight. I love these forums, they are making my decision more easy everyday.

Lisa, I went into full melt-down mode about 3 weeks before my surgery. I imagined every possible bad thing that could happen and I kicked myself for letting me get to this point. Then I decided that I should take those worries and make something positive from them. So, I listed every worry on a piece of paper and made myself find a solution for them. I updated my estate planning documents, and made peace with a couple of people with whom I'd had falling outs years ago. I talked to my kids and business partner about what I wanted to happen if I didn't make it through surgery.

I also took a good hard LONG look at the life I was living. I looked at the list of co-morbidities I had (sleep apnea, blood clots, pulmonary embolisms, rheumatoid arthritis, pre-diabetic, high cholesterol) and knew that I couldn't let those things keep adding up. I got pneumonia in May and that led to testing for all the other mess. I received my bi-pap two weeks before surgery. That night I sat and cried because i just couldn't see myself living with all that baggage. How do I get rid of that baggage? Most of it was weight related, so losing weight had to become the absolute priority...and fast!!!

Now, I feel like I've been given a new lease on life. I have more energy already and I'm only 2 weeks post-op! The liquid diet sucks and mushies are only a little better, but soon I will be able to eat anything I want, just in smaller quantities than I'm used to eating. The bonus is that I have turned back the clock on those co-morbidities listed above. I hope to be able to eliminate the Bi-pap machine in a few months and I pray that I've dodged the diabetic bullet. I'm working the plan with this sleeve and will continue to do so.

Just imagine how much better your life will be when you're a normal weight instead of obese!! Don't let fear stop you from doing the best thing ever for yourself. The pain isn't that bad and is gone quickly and a few weeks of liquids/mushie foods is a small price to pay for having a wonderful rest of your life!!

Hi guys! I am 3 weeks post op! I too was a ball of nerves! The liquid 3 days pre op was the worst part. Very emotional. Day of surgery, I couldnt stop crying, I asked the anesthesiologist if i can back out!!! But, he put me out and i went through with it! You will be a bit uncomfortable for a few days, but, they give you pain meds and that helps ALOT!!!! After surgery, your not hungry! You do need to remember to drink your fluids to not get dehydrated, but, the biggest battle post surgery for me is figuring out what to eat (mooshies/puree stage after liquids), getting in Protein, getting in fluids etc. I still have some muscle soreness, but, my incision sites never hurt. I do get hungry, I guess I am one of the few who do, and head hunger really sucks! Went to my friends house and she ordered pizza and salad and that was rough, thats the buyers remorse knowing that I wont be able to eat a whole piece of pizza and enjoy a large salad! But, I guess thats the point! I am 3 weeks out and learning and adjusting every day. But, I am not angry with myself, I am not depressed, just taking this new chapter 1 day at a time! I had the feeling of why couldnt I do this on my own, why did i need surgery, i could be happy heavy.....but, my sleeve is a life saver, my future will be brighter, I will adjust. I lost 26 lbs pre op and so far lost 19 lbs post op. I am happy with the weight loss! It isnt a miracle though, you have to work your sleeve for optimal weight loss, but, it is very managable. Stalls are very common for alot of us and frustrating too! But, thats our bodies adjusting to the new way of eating and the little amounts. But, the stall will break and your not the one person the sleeve wont work for! It will work for you! You just need patience and this message board because I have found 100 % of my support here! unfortunately not through family friends or my doctor, but , here! Good luck on your journeys! If you follow your dr.'s instructions, you will have a smooth post op experience with no issues!

My surgery is tuesday 9/13. I am terrified that I am doing the wrong thing. My stomach is so nervous that I'm afraid that I might vomit.

I too question why I can't do this on my own. Why do I need to do this to my body? Why can't I control myself? Should I try one last time? If I can do the liquids for two weeks, why can't I stick to other diets?

Well, I've done the 'one last time' weekly for about 20 years.

I'm going to keep checking back to this site just to read the success stories to encourage me to keep going.

Good luck on your journey.

Lisa, EVERYONE feels this way, so you're totally normal. Try not to get caught up in it and focus on the reasons you started down this path. Looking at before and after pictures really helped me. You'll probably freak out the worst in the days just before your surgery, but all that fear and anxiety vanishes as soon as you wake up. A lot of people then experience buyer's remorse during recovery, but if you'll look at posts from people who are farther out, everyone is so happy and thrilled that they did this and there's this resounding echo of "I wish I had done this sooner." Stay positive and hang in there.