Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First off let me say I am a nurse AND a hypochondriac. I probably know more that I should for my own good.... I had my sleeve done on 8/26. I thought I had thought through this completely. But now I am a nervous wreck. I can't eat, can't sleep, and don't want to go out of my house. I'm so scared. Scared that I made a terrible choice. Why didn't I diet and do this instead Of taking out part of a perfectly good body. I shudder thinking of the fact that I'm always going to have to worry about long term side effects. I did this too hastily and now I regret it. One day I was normal, the next I am completely different from all of those around me. I worry that by defacing my body I have shortened my life. Please help me. Tell me If you had these feelings and how You have dealt with them.....

Today I had these same thoughts, I know it's because I have been miserable with drainage from allergies and just not getting calories in. I know it will get better. I am 4 weeks out today.

Lol, you're cute. You are second guessing your own best judgement. Allow me to say; STOP IT! That said, I must confess that I cheated somewhat and got my doctor to give me some weak Lorazepam (1-2mg) before my trip for flying and sleeping. Really a life saver; used them in the hospital with some pain medication and slept like a baby. I don't have to use them much any more, but they really helped at first. I still use one if I am getting anxious at night.

First off let me say I am a nurse AND a hypochondriac. I probably know more that I should for my own good.... I had my sleeve done on 8/26. I thought I had thought through this completely. But now I am a nervous wreck. I can't eat, can't sleep, and don't want to go out of my house. I'm so scared. Scared that I made a terrible choice. Why didn't I diet and do this instead Of taking out part of a perfectly good body. I shudder thinking of the fact that I'm always going to have to worry about long term side effects. I did this too hastily and now I regret it. One day I was normal, the next I am completely different from all of those around me. I worry that by defacing my body I have shortened my life. Please help me. Tell me If you had these feelings and how You have dealt with them.....

It's too early to regret!! I think if you wait it out you will not have these feelings!! I am a nurse as well. I was worried a lot too.We know too much. We hear all the bad horror stories. When you get anxious just think about what your life will be like in 6 months!!!!! I am already feeling cuter, happier and excited for the future. People are telling me how great I look. And I am just one month out tomorrow. I can eat anything now just a very small portion. I do not feel deprived at all. (it is easy to feel like that when your diet is liquids) I know for a fact I could never maintain any weightloss for long- so this is my chance to feel and look great.

Even if you have made a mistake (which I believe you haven't), staying in your house and worrying yourself sick isn't going to turn back time. You had the surgery, you are doing OK - now you need to focus on learning to live with it and to THRIVE and be healthy. If you need something to help you be less anxious for a little while, ask your doc.

Read the threads on this forum - many people have very few side effects from the surgery and live wonderful healthy lives. I don't believe the surgery shortens our life - but it definately improves the quality.

What is that saying - "it's not about how many breathes you take - it's about the moments that take your breath away." Now, I am going to live to retirement (most probably) and hopefully to watch my grandchildren grow up. I can take them to Disney World and not cramp their style by being so obese I couldn't go with them.

In summary - try not to borrow trouble!

Good luck!

This forum has been a life saver to me. I was sleeved on 7/18/11, exactly 6 weeks today. At first, I thought I would never feel normal again. I had a day or two of what have I done, but for the most part have no regrets. That being said, I feel like I turned a corner between week 4 and 5. At first, I didn't think I would ever feel normal again until that time. I started to get most of my Water and Protein in, my routine became more normal. I feel like myself again. The only difference is that I feel like I am a picky eater, not a restricted eater. There are very few foods that I cannot not eat, but a lot of foods that I choose not to eat. Its not that I felt bad before, its just that I feel sooooo much better now.

I think you are too soon in to see all the good things that are happening to you and will continue to happen. Although some of us had a shorter process than others making it to the actual surgery, all of us had many attempts at loosing the weight before we considered it. I bet you are the same way too. I think you will feel differently in the near future. Remember, this is a process. We will have our ups and downs. Own it and move on.

One word of advice, that I have found helpful.... be prepared when you leave the house. Take Snacks and always have something you can eat with you. You will not be worried about what you are going to eat and what people will think of you. It has worked for me, sounds silly, but it is great advice.

Good luck