Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Scheduled, Next Step Help

First I want to say that I am posting this on this here and on ObesityHelp, I want as much help as possible so if you see it there, sorry!

Ok, so this past Friday, I got the call, Sept. 20 is the date. I have to have a pre-op all day at the hospital next week (some kind of video, etc...) and then I get to meet my surgeon on the 13th. I have no specific two week diet other than low carb. I want to do the high Protein liquid diet that I have read most people have to do.

I have so many questions so I am going to list them. I have done some searching but to be honest, I am super overwhelmed right now!! I also want to let you know I am self-pay so no insurance requirements to fulfil.

1. Can anyone send me or post the liquid diet they are following.

2. How on earth do you pick thru the variety of Proteins available? I have read eggface blog recipes but I don't love chocolate, fake strawberry taste, vanilla would be ok... I also know there is flavorless...

3. If we are supposed to give up caffine, then doesn't the chocolate, mocha's, etc.. have it in there?

4. Will a high Protein, low carb diet give me back some energy? I am at a super all time low and feel like I am going to need all the energy I can get to stay focused. I am not an overeater but I tend to skip meals because it is easier...

5. Can someone send me a link or make a list of the items I will need for this (I am a little OCD so it helps me to be prepared and organized).

6. Anyone familiar with Dr. Rita Anderson or in the Dayton area?

7. Does anyone meal plan and know of a site or link that can help me start that?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I am so confused and crazy right now. Any help, links, advice, or good smacks across the face would be good right now.

Anyone with some links at least to send me in the right direction?

Well, everyone's pre op requirements are different. My surgeon has me doing a low fat, low carb,

low Protein liquid diet for an entire week before surgery of which today is day 4 for me.

Below is a list of items I can eat

Broth- Low fat and Low sodium

Decaf coffee or Tea with no sugar may sweeten with sweet & Low, equal, splenda, stevia etc.

sugar free Jello

sugar free Popsicle

Water

Crystal Light

Propel

And a shake or yogurt or Soup with additional Protein added to meet daily requirment of 20 grams-

If using yogurt then I must use the low fat, no sugar added such as carbmaster from Kroger.

The yogurts and shakes are not free foods in which I can just eat until I'm full either-

tho I have yet to see an exact limit- I'm guessing it's 1 or 2 per day until the protein requirement

has been met for the day.

I was scared to death that I wouldn't like the protein- especially Isopure made me ill when I tried it months

ago- but I was pleasantly surprised that my unjury vanilla powder tastes great in yogurt.

I'm sure there are many different pre op diet plans - so it would be interesting to see what other people

are doing- and it's really best to do what your specific surgeons directs - because each is different.

thank you, thank you, thank you for your response!

I ordered the Vitamins I will need tonite, bought some Protein powder to try and some healthy foods for lunch, sticking with the high Protein, low carbs. Never knew yogurt had so many carbs! Like I said, I haven't seen the surgeon yet but was just told to go on a low fat diet. I want to do more, I want to be successful!! So I appreciate the list. I am looking at adkins plans to see what is low in carbs and also the liquid diets to see if I can do a sort of combo the first week then go all liquid the next. Hopefully that is not crazy!

~Theresa

Well, everyone's pre op requirements are different. My surgeon has me doing a low fat, low carb,

low Protein liquid diet for an entire week before surgery of which today is day 4 for me.

Below is a list of items I can eat

Broth- Low fat and Low sodium

Decaf coffee or Tea with no sugar may sweeten with sweet & Low, equal, splenda, stevia etc.

sugar free Jello

sugar free Popsicle

Water

Crystal Light

Propel

And a shake or yogurt or Soup with additional Protein added to meet daily requirment of 20 grams-

If using yogurt then I must use the low fat, no sugar added such as carbmaster from Kroger.

The yogurts and shakes are not free foods in which I can just eat until I'm full either-

tho I have yet to see an exact limit- I'm guessing it's 1 or 2 per day until the protein requirement

has been met for the day.

I was scared to death that I wouldn't like the protein- especially Isopure made me ill when I tried it months

ago- but I was pleasantly surprised that my unjury vanilla powder tastes great in yogurt.

I'm sure there are many different pre op diet plans - so it would be interesting to see what other people

are doing- and it's really best to do what your specific surgeons directs - because each is different.

*High protein... right?

make sure you bring chapstick, kleenex, bottle of Water, platic bags, and a pillow for the car ride home! just incase you throw up.