Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved on Monday......surgery till day 3 report

Hi folks!

I was sleeved Monday afternoon at Regional Memorial Hospital in Hollywood, FL by Dr. Jeremy Gallegos-Eckstein. The surgery took a bit longer than normal, due to my spleen being in the way. I woke in recovery to the feeling of both my tubes being pulled (breathing and catheter). Knowing that my sleep apnea would cause probs for me if I let it, I immediately started trying to breathe deeply as I continued to awaken. Nurse came over, asked if I was in pain, told them yes. They hit me with a shot in my IV and the pain was reduced considerably.

Fast forward a couple hours, and I was able to text semi coherently enough to let people know that I was ok. The surgeon came thru and said everything went fine, but that I was going into ICU because my blood sugar was 415. NOTE: I tried to get them to let me leave my insulin pump on, as all it would do is maintain the basal and keep this from happening, but they would not hear of it. So I went without insulin from 930 AM (when they took me to preop) until then, 730ish PM. I was like OK, whatever....

Fast forward to almost 10 PM, they said they had a room ready for me, and away we went! After getting off the elevator, I see I'm being rolled into the Cardiac Critical Care Unit!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the nurses pushing me....Hey folks, is there something you're not telling me here? Why Cardiac Care?? They chuckled and said ICU is full and they agreed to take you over here. So now I'm thinking "Wow, best of the best". And it truly was!!!

They got me to the unit, & met the nurses that would be taking care of me that night. Patrick and Rick explained what was going on, what they wanted to happen, and what the results they expected. They asked if I felt like getting up, and I told them YESSS, as I was so cramped from lying on my back for so long. Getting me off the gurney and into the chair was a nonevent, very surprising to me and them as I expected a LOT of pain from straining the abdominal muscles in sitting up.

I sat in the chair for maybe an hour, while they got all their stuff hooked up, and I asked if we could go walking. I was feeling really good at this point. So away we went. I did 2 laps of the CCU and outside into the regular Cardiac care area!!! Returned, and got back in the chair for maybe another hour, and went walking again! Managed about 5 laps this time, going farther afield with Rick patiently dragging along the IV pole and me pushing the cart that held the heart monitor/defibrillator. They seemed really surprised that I could do as many laps as I did, and with no apparent pain! I was stoked, and from that point I knew my journey would be OK.

Slept till maybe 7, when shift change occurred, met my new nurse, Angie. Went thru all the turnover stuff with her, explained that if I could put my insulin pump back in, soon they would not even have to worry about my sugars, which were still abysmally high despite being given regular insulin intravaneously. I was told they had to get doc's approval, so that was pushed to the back burner. Next was my leakage test, which was at 9 AM. Down we went, I had to stand and drink this GODawful concoction that made barium taste good lol. The radiologist did the flouroscope, and said great!! No leaks! Back to the unit we went. Upon arriving, I had my first bout of nausea. Bile rose in my throat, and I prayed "Please don't let me puke". After about 2 minutes, it passed and I was able to relax a bit. After about an hour, went walking again, with Angie dragging the everpresent IV pole and moi pushing the cart.

They got the OK from the admitting doc to let me put my insulin pump back in, and I did that. Also got the OK to feed me, and I was quite happy to hear that. So I had maybe 4 oz of really salty chicken broth, a couple cups of Jello and maybe half of my cup of tea they brought. Of course, this was over the course of a couple hours too so maybe not so spectacular. It felt good to me though!! :) The surgeon came in about 5, asked if I wanted to go home?!?!!!! I told him if my buddy had arrived from NC, I would but since I was totally alone at home, I'd better stay another night.

7PM brought my new nurse, Josh. We got all settled in and went walking again. Took several hits from my pain pump thru the day, and really felt good. Josh was really super, but I was sad when he explained that he was taking my pain pump away soon. After he did that, I got a bit behind the 8ball curve and had some intense pain in the shoulder area. I chugged the 2 little cups of whatever it was he brought me, and went walking again, but it took me a while to get back to a semblance of semi drugged happiness lol.

Moving on, I had my first bowel movement!! Then later, while in bed, I had my first uncommanded bowel movement! :( Buzz Josh, tell him what happened, go clean myself while he changed the bed. That was embarrassing, but I guess they are used to it. Got another 2 or 3 hours sleep after that.

This is turning into a tome, so I'll update from morning 3 (Wed) shortly.

Congrats!!! Awesome to hear!!! Keep up the good work!!! I'm glad you've had such a great experience...

Hi folks!

I was sleeved Monday afternoon at Regional Memorial Hospital in Hollywood, FL by Dr. Jeremy Gallegos-Eckstein. The surgery took a bit longer than normal, due to my spleen being in the way. I woke in recovery to the feeling of both my tubes being pulled (breathing and catheter). Knowing that my sleep apnea would cause probs for me if I let it, I immediately started trying to breathe deeply as I continued to awaken. Nurse came over, asked if I was in pain, told them yes. They hit me with a shot in my IV and the pain was reduced considerably.

Fast forward a couple hours, and I was able to text semi coherently enough to let people know that I was ok. The surgeon came thru and said everything went fine, but that I was going into ICU because my blood sugar was 415. NOTE: I tried to get them to let me leave my insulin pump on, as all it would do is maintain the basal and keep this from happening, but they would not hear of it. So I went without insulin from 930 AM (when they took me to preop) until then, 730ish PM. I was like OK, whatever....

Fast forward to almost 10 PM, they said they had a room ready for me, and away we went! After getting off the elevator, I see I'm being rolled into the Cardiac Critical Care Unit!!!!!!!!!!!! I asked the nurses pushing me....Hey folks, is there something you're not telling me here? Why Cardiac Care?? They chuckled and said ICU is full and they agreed to take you over here. So now I'm thinking "Wow, best of the best". And it truly was!!!

They got me to the unit, & met the nurses that would be taking care of me that night. Patrick and Rick explained what was going on, what they wanted to happen, and what the results they expected. They asked if I felt like getting up, and I told them YESSS, as I was so cramped from lying on my back for so long. Getting me off the gurney and into the chair was a nonevent, very surprising to me and them as I expected a LOT of pain from straining the abdominal muscles in sitting up.

I sat in the chair for maybe an hour, while they got all their stuff hooked up, and I asked if we could go walking. I was feeling really good at this point. So away we went. I did 2 laps of the CCU and outside into the regular Cardiac care area!!! Returned, and got back in the chair for maybe another hour, and went walking again! Managed about 5 laps this time, going farther afield with Rick patiently dragging along the IV pole and me pushing the cart that held the heart monitor/defibrillator. They seemed really surprised that I could do as many laps as I did, and with no apparent pain! I was stoked, and from that point I knew my journey would be OK.

Slept till maybe 7, when shift change occurred, met my new nurse, Angie. Went thru all the turnover stuff with her, explained that if I could put my insulin pump back in, soon they would not even have to worry about my sugars, which were still abysmally high despite being given regular insulin intravaneously. I was told they had to get doc's approval, so that was pushed to the back burner. Next was my leakage test, which was at 9 AM. Down we went, I had to stand and drink this GODawful concoction that made barium taste good lol. The radiologist did the flouroscope, and said great!! No leaks! Back to the unit we went. Upon arriving, I had my first bout of nausea. Bile rose in my throat, and I prayed "Please don't let me puke". After about 2 minutes, it passed and I was able to relax a bit. After about an hour, went walking again, with Angie dragging the everpresent IV pole and moi pushing the cart.

They got the OK from the admitting doc to let me put my insulin pump back in, and I did that. Also got the OK to feed me, and I was quite happy to hear that. So I had maybe 4 oz of really salty chicken broth, a couple cups of Jello and maybe half of my cup of tea they brought. Of course, this was over the course of a couple hours too so maybe not so spectacular. It felt good to me though!! :) The surgeon came in about 5, asked if I wanted to go home?!?!!!! I told him if my buddy had arrived from NC, I would but since I was totally alone at home, I'd better stay another night.

7PM brought my new nurse, Josh. We got all settled in and went walking again. Took several hits from my pain pump thru the day, and really felt good. Josh was really super, but I was sad when he explained that he was taking my pain pump away soon. After he did that, I got a bit behind the 8ball curve and had some intense pain in the shoulder area. I chugged the 2 little cups of whatever it was he brought me, and went walking again, but it took me a while to get back to a semblance of semi drugged happiness lol.

Moving on, I had my first bowel movement!! Then later, while in bed, I had my first uncommanded bowel movement! :( Buzz Josh, tell him what happened, go clean myself while he changed the bed. That was embarrassing, but I guess they are used to it. Got another 2 or 3 hours sleep after that.

This is turning into a tome, so I'll update from morning 3 (Wed) shortly.

I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone in the uncommanded BM! It happened to me too. I was truly embarrassed. I had no warning whatsoever! I wish you a speedy recovery!