Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone

I have read on this site and many that lots and lots of people can loose weight but keeping it off is the problem....well i think this may not work for me if its the case of helping us maintain once we have lost the weight.

I have been on and off diets for over 16 years and weigh 10 stone more than i did when i started..i cant stick to a diet long enough, yes i can do a week, 2 at most and i give up as i am hungry or crave something thats not allowed on a diet plan im following.

does this mean the sleeve wont work for me...i have no will power what so ever and im worried now :unsure:

My Max was a month when dieting. Then I was so hungry I can't even be sure they were right choices. The only problem I had restricting myself was hunger. I have been sleeved for a month with no complications. My hunger is gone so I can make good choices. The question to u is... why do u eat what you eat? The sleeve takes the physical hunger away, but u have to make the good food choices so u can make it in the long run. Good luck and I hope we see u around the blog!

The restriction will help you keep to what you have to do too. My issue was quantity, I could eat healthy but too much of anything is not healthy regardless LOL. I think you will be fine, it will take time for you to understand your new stomach but in the end it will help you do what you were never able to do by yourself.

The sleeve is a tool to help you change your life. You still have work hard - make the right choices, don't eat the wrong foods (milkshakes, etc) that just slide through the sleeve, exercise, take your Vitamins, get in all your Fluid - etc. This is a lifetime committment. So think hard about having the surgery. This isn't the "easy way" no matter what the uninformed think.

Good luck with your decision.

The sleeve is a tool to help you change your life. You still have work hard - make the right choices, don't eat the wrong foods (milkshakes, etc) that just slide through the sleeve, exercise, take your Vitamins, get in all your Fluid - etc. This is a lifetime committment. So think hard about having the surgery. This isn't the "easy way" no matter what the uninformed think.

Good luck with your decision.

Yep i realise that its a tool, if only we could wave a magic wand :-) i do eat healthy now but to much of it, which is why im over weight. i do eat wrong things to but thats because i get hungry. i have no doubt that i can choose healthy, eat my vits and drink Water i just need to not be hungry as often.

has the sleeve ever failed?

yes, the sleeve has failed. . .i know first hand of a close friend who had the sleeve and after 1 year she literally regained 50 lbs. Her problem however, she was very stubborn and REFUSED to give up her sweets, pastries, and unfortunately beer. . . she continued with those everyday. . .

my problem was quantity as well. I don't eat rubbish but i ate ALOT of food! I had the sleeve and poof the weight is gone! I haven't gotten to movie starlet beauty, but I love the way i look right now. . . the sleeve reminds me EVERYDAY (for the past 2 years) to eat like a lady and not like a glutton!

So what i'm trying to say is this, if your not willing to change your habits, don't get the sleeve, but if your willing to give it a go for your health sake, then this will definately work. . . and after you lose the weight, i'm sure you won't want to regain it and will be careful what you put into your mouth. . . but as you've heard, this decision is all yours. . . good luck!

To be honest the sleeve has been a magic wand (or tube as in this case :) for me. I have been overweight my entire life. I understand nutrition extremely well, have eaten Clean for over a decade, worked out, did all that, but couldn't lose weight. I am 10 days short of 4 months since the sleeve and I am down 79 lbs. For the first time in my life when I try I actually lose weight. And truthfully it has been easy!

And I am thrilled about that. What other freaking area in life do we purposely look for the harder way out?

I don't need the hard way to build character. I have put up with skinny people all my life without breaking too many of them, :-) I've done my character building the hard way!!! So has the sleeve been easy? Yes for me it has, not that it doesn't require work and effort. But I have worked much harder in the past with no results so it feels like magic!! When we have done the diets and struggled to lose two lbs and regain it and try harder and harder with no results and yet keep trying, THAT is the hardest!!! So, now, to make clean food choices and exercise and see the lbs actually drop, and keep dropping? Wow! It does feel easy!!! Even those of you who have lost slowly or even at a stall, I say heck yeah!!!! To you. You are losing!! And if your in a temporary stall your not gaining!! That is also success when you walk in our shoes. The journey has it's hard parts, most of the mental, but it has it's rewards that for us who understand, are beyond most things we have even dreamed about. So, I say chin up. Celebrate the parts that are easy! There are enough hard things to deal with. Revel in the new you, dream new dreams, never look back we have soo much joy ahead in this journey. Life is good, and the easier the better!!!!

Love all you on this journey! May your dreams not even come close to how good it really is!

GodSpeed

I think I am gonna make this it's on post :-)

To be honest the sleeve has been a magic wand (or tube as in this case :) for me. I have been overweight my entire life. I understand nutrition extremely well, have eaten Clean for over a decade, worked out, did all that, but couldn't lose weight. I am 10 days short of 4 months since the sleeve and I am down 79 lbs. For the first time in my life when I try I actually lose weight. And truthfully it has been easy!

And I am thrilled about that. What other freaking area in life do we purposely look for the harder way out?

I don't need the hard way to build character. I have put up with skinny people all my life without breaking too many of them, :-) I've done my character building the hard way!!! So has the sleeve been easy? Yes for me it has, not that it doesn't require work and effort. But I have worked much harder in the past with no results so it feels like magic!! When we have done the diets and struggled to lose two lbs and regain it and try harder and harder with no results and yet keep trying, THAT is the hardest!!! So, now, to make clean food choices and exercise and see the lbs actually drop, and keep dropping? Wow! It does feel easy!!! Even those of you who have lost slowly or even at a stall, I say heck yeah!!!! To you. You are losing!! And if your in a temporary stall your not gaining!! That is also success when you walk in our shoes. The journey has it's hard parts, most of the mental, but it has it's rewards that for us who understand, are beyond most things we have even dreamed about. So, I say chin up. Celebrate the parts that are easy! There are enough hard things to deal with. Revel in the new you, dream new dreams, never look back we have soo much joy ahead in this journey. Life is good, and the easier the better!!!!

Love all you on this journey! May your dreams not even come close to how good it really is!

GodSpeed

what a fantastic post...thank you so much :-) stories like this inspire me and make me beleive this is the way for me ;)

Your welcome, I soooo get where your at! Let me tell you this side is sooo much better than you can imagine! Yes it is drastic and a forever choice. For me, it has been both a life saver and a life giver! Godspeed on your own journey no matter what you decide is best for you.

GodSpeed

I totally agree with you. I have effortlessly lost 26lbs in 3 weeks and 2 days. I lost 25lbs in 2008 and it took 6 months and I was at the gym everyday for an hour and paying for personal trainers and buying expensive "diet foods" I can't wait to lose more!

You will, the days will stein tigethe where your stalled. Don't freak out just stick to your plan your body will drop the weight. :-)