Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, any "post partum" for those who've reached goal?

Maintaining is the where the real work starts. I can eat more than could before. Now, if a social event comes up where there will be good food and goodies, it's harder to resist. I am constantly weighing myself and having to cut back for a few days when I gain back a few lbs.

It's like a roller coaster. Some people have an easy time maintaining at first, but life sets in with fattening foods all around, and it's just

plain HARD. :(

I just hit goal yesterday ( yay!!!). But I have always had multiple goals going. So yes. I hit my WEIGHT goal.... But I'm not yet at my SIZE goal - single digits ( I'm so close). I also have other goals. A disney half marathon in disneyland in in less than 6 months ( eeek!!). Beating my time ( each time) on the grouse grind hiking trail. Then I have other personal goals for work and home. I'll forever be striving for those goals, but it's what keeps me fighting!!! And since surgery, I've found that I love a good fight!!!

I think this issue is difficult because we live in such a body conscious society! We've had issues with fat but all around us everyone obsesses over dimples on the thighs, not enough muscle, not flat enough tummy, not big enough chest... etc. Models, athletes, actors... that's all everyone/media/magazines etc. seems to focused on: body issues. We will not be free of it in the sense that no one is free of if unless we make a consciouls choice not to be sucked in. I think that's what "skinny" people deal with. As "fat people" we've had specific issues related to the fat, but then there are all those others that are just part of our culture.

I agree with OregonDaisy. Maintaining is hard work. It's easy to spend your time focused on this. After reaching or exceeding goal things eventually slow down. And you can eat so much more. At least I can. I can't pig out. But I can sure eat a normal sized meal no problem most days. Exercise has been my saving grace. Without it I know I'd gain back. With it I no longer lose weight but I do maintain okay.

As somebody else said....the inner dialog does not go away. It stays there. I'm a normal weight fairly skinny person now. But that is on the outside. On the inside I'm a closet fat person who is always fearful of gaining it back. I'm okay with that. I prefer to be paranoid about it if that helps me avoid gaining it back.

Overall, I could not be happier with this situation. And I'm not convinced this is much different than any lifelong skinny person. I think most of them keep tight tabs on their weight and take steps to remain skinny. It's just the way it is.

This was a good question. I've enjoyed seeing all the responses and agree with most of them. My advice is to lose all the weight you can because eventually it slows down and gets much harder.

Great question. For me I've been maintaining since May 25th. I bounce from 145-148 which is still 5-2 lbs. under my goal weight. It's really been a challenge trying NOT to lose anymore weight for ONCE IN MY LIFE. I just hit my 1 year out and it's the first time after TOM I didn't lose more weight. SO this may be it. Today I was 146.4. So far, so good.

I may be having a panni soon. I have lots of loose skin. I don't work out like I should. I'm actually scared. What if it causes me to lose more weight?? It's really scary. So I think that's what really been on my mind as of late.

I promised myself that I would really try and enjoy being thin this time around. And be grateful and thankful for reaching goal. Have an attitude of gratitude for no longer having a fatty liver. No longer living with the chronic knee pain, etc. etc.

Great question. For me I've been maintaining since May 25th. I bounce from 145-148 which is still 5-3 lbs. under my goal weight. It's really been a challenge trying NOT to lose anymore weight for ONCE IN MY LIFE. I just hit my 1 year out and it's the first time after TOM I didn't lose more weight. SO this may be it. Today I was 146.4. So far, so good.

I may be having a panni soon. I have lots of loose skin. I don't work out like I should. I'm actually scared. What if it causes me to lose more weight?? It's really scary. So I think that's what really been on my mind as of late.

I promised myself that I would really try and enjoy being thin this time around. And be grateful and thankful for reaching goal. Have an attitude of gratitude for no longer having a fatty liver. No longer living with the chronic knee pain, etc. etc.

You have done sooo well! Im with you on enjoying more and complaining less this time around!

I have been at goal for about a year now and you do have large readjustments to make. I became very obsessed with my appearance but that seems to have passed now. I suppose I had years of neglect to make up for. Also my relationship with my husband changed, went from mostly best pals to best pals and lovers too. All these changes came with rows and insecurity, but we have weathered the storm and celebrated 22 years of marriage yesterday. As to what thin people think about, probably what parties they are going to and what their friends and family are up to, and obviously if they are female, shoes!

You have done sooo well! Im with you on enjoying more and complaining less this time around!

YES YES YES! Let's always remind each other to ENJOY it this time around :)...HUGS!

YES YES YES! Let's always remind each other to ENJOY it this time around :)...HUGS!

Hugs back. I have to say for myself, getting older has taught me a thing or two. No time left for self hatred or long lasting dissatisfaction.

Hugs back. I have to say for myself, getting older has taught me a thing or two. No time left for self hatred or long lasting dissatisfaction.

Wise words indeed. I used to think if I could wear a 14 and be under -200lbs then that would be enough for me. But now, here I am having acheived those goals but I know I'm NOT done yet. I don't say that in a negative way but rather I didn't go through everything I did, have surgery only to get to "here", I'm going all the way, no matter how long it takes me. So much of this process is mental, and our perceptions change as our bodies change.

But I am with you all, this time there is much celebrating to do, and I try to live my life with no regrets, so here's to the future!

Amen to THAT!

Wise words indeed. I used to think if I could wear a 14 and be under -200lbs then that would be enough for me. But now, here I am having acheived those goals but I know I'm NOT done yet. I don't say that in a negative way but rather I didn't go through everything I did, have surgery only to get to "here", I'm going all the way, no matter how long it takes me. So much of this process is mental, and our perceptions change as our bodies change.

But I am with you all, this time there is much celebrating to do, and I try to live my life with no regrets, so here's to the future!

Totally agree! CHEERS!!!