Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. My name is Betsy and I'm 3 weeks post op from my sleeve. Pre op my weight was 294 and I am now 263.2. I'm also new to this site, but can say I've accessed many of the forums to get some quick answers to some important questions. For me, the physical recovery was a snap; it has been the emotional/mental recovery that has been the most difficult. I worked with my surgeon for over 6 months prior to my surgery and was bracing myself for the changes my brain would have to endure. Well....I don't think anything prepares us for the after portion of this journey! It scares me to think that I put things into my body prior to surgery that caused me to have physical and mental symptoms of withdrawal! It also scares me that food was my only coping mechanism when times were happy, sad, difficult, easy, etc. I thought so little of myself that I didn't see the value in taking care of myself or surrounding myself with those who also recognized my true worth. Every day is a struggle and every day is a triumph as I get closer to my goal. I've been the fat child, fat girl, fat woman for so long......how will I identify myself when weight isn't the only way I define myself anymore? I am 28, newly single, and on the verge of changing my life. What an exciting/liberating/terrifying thing, huh?!

Hi everyone. My name is Betsy and I'm 3 weeks post op from my sleeve. Pre op my weight was 294 and I am now 263.2. I'm also new to this site, but can say I've accessed many of the forums to get some quick answers to some important questions. For me, the physical recovery was a snap; it has been the emotional/mental recovery that has been the most difficult. I worked with my surgeon for over 6 months prior to my surgery and was bracing myself for the changes my brain would have to endure. Well....I don't think anything prepares us for the after portion of this journey! It scares me to think that I put things into my body prior to surgery that caused me to have physical and mental symptoms of withdrawal! It also scares me that food was my only coping mechanism when times were happy, sad, difficult, easy, etc. I thought so little of myself that I didn't see the value in taking care of myself or surrounding myself with those who also recognized my true worth. Every day is a struggle and every day is a triumph as I get closer to my goal. I've been the fat child, fat girl, fat woman for so long......how will I identify myself when weight isn't the only way I define myself anymore? I am 28, newly single, and on the verge of changing my life. What an exciting/liberating/terrifying thing, huh?!

I am also three weeks post op today! We are sleeve sisters! I was doing well until last week when I got a little dehydrated and had a kidney stone. Not fun... I was back in the hospital for a week, another surgery to place a stent, etc. I was pumped full of fluids and am still trying to pee that off! I dont know how my weight loss is going because of that but I think I should level out soon. I understand completely about the mental side of this. It has been the hardest thing for me. I find myself feeling sorry for myself because I cant eat like I used to... bums me out when my family can have all this food and I just have broth. I am just starting on soft food now and its getting better. I was not really prepared for the mental change it would take either. I think we will both be great and we will get through it!

Hi and welcome! I am like you in many ways. 28 as well, and I just separated from my fiance in May. LIfe is soooo much different. I did finally take the plunge to have the surgery after the breakup and it is sooooo scary but the future seems bright. We will figure this new life out!

i'm 37 yrs old, and 3 wks post op tomorrow. was 277, now 254 and have the complete opposite issues as you. maybe we could be of help to eachother. i'm having trouble with the physical side and how much stomach feels and what quantites are normal for what point in time. mentally i am pretty good. really haven't felt deprived or craved but with the weight coming off so fast it's easy to do now. the problem is in a few months when it slows down. i need a game plan lol.

i'm using the 'detox' i like to call it, as a good thing. stopped smoking (a newly formed habit from ex hubby stress) and even harder my addiction to diet coke and all pop, really. the no carbonation thing is getting to me a bit but am finding alternatives. i feel like i just have this excess 'energy' (the stuff we used to stuff down w/food) and now it's all come to the surface. i'm trying to let it out & soothe myself by doing things. i'm a do-er and it soothes me knowing i'm being productive. cleaning closets, reorganizing my clothes, picking out new makeup, keeping the house tidy, whatever instead of watching tv and eating at night. maybe that'll help. maybe we could be friends and help each other out.