Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those with Binge Eating Disorder:

How much therapy did you get, if any, before and after surgery? Have you found that you still struggle with feeding your emotions even after surgery? Those that got little or no therapy, do you feel that the surgery may have been wasted, or that you wish you would have gotten more therapy than you did? Or did many of the cravings disappear after surgery, purely as a result of the surgery?

I have been diagnosed with BED (prob not that uncommon among users of this forum), and am working to address it with counseling/therapy at a high quality clinic not related to the bariatric surgery program. I am wondering how long I should attend counseling before surgery. I am in process to get the surgery (no known date yet), but don't know if I should put things on hold until I know I have the condition under control.

The main "con" for waiting is that I have Diabetes, and really struggle to keep my carbs in check...essentially I binge on them, and it destroys my glucose levels, making me sick. I was just diagnosed with Diabetes type II about one and a half months ago so I am still relatively new to it, but do get pretty sick after daily binges. I know I will have to get BG under control before surgery, but I don't know if I can do it long term without the surgery.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

At 14 weeks out, I can't eat that much. So my 2 cents is try to find out how long therapy might take and consider doing them in tandem. You can continue to work on the therapy as you prepare for surgery and during recuperation.

One area of concern with that approach is though I can't eat a lot at once, I could eat a little all day long if I chose. I'm working hard to only eat the three meals and one Protein drink my plan recommends and to eat Protein first. So for me, there is no room for a binge right now.

Lynda

How much therapy did you get, if any, before and after surgery? Have you found that you still struggle with feeding your emotions even after surgery? Those that got little or no therapy, do you feel that the surgery may have been wasted, or that you wish you would have gotten more therapy than you did? Or did many of the cravings disappear after surgery, purely as a result of the surgery?

I have been diagnosed with BED (prob not that uncommon among users of this forum), and am working to address it with counseling/therapy at a high quality clinic not related to the bariatric surgery program. I am wondering how long I should attend counseling before surgery. I am in process to get the surgery (no known date yet), but don't know if I should put things on hold until I know I have the condition under control.

The main "con" for waiting is that I have Diabetes, and really struggle to keep my carbs in check...essentially I binge on them, and it destroys my glucose levels, making me sick. I was just diagnosed with Diabetes type II about one and a half months ago so I am still relatively new to it, but do get pretty sick after daily binges. I know I will have to get BG under control before surgery, but I don't know if I can do it long term without the surgery.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

First, I was not diagnosed BED because I didn't do extreme BED. I've never eaten until I was sick. I've never eaten until the fridge was bare. And I only did what I considered to be BED about once a week. But there was no doubt in my mind that they were defining BED too strictly and even the experts don't understand what it's about.

For instance, my Mom is in the last days of her life with dementia. Very stressful to visit her and she's been in advanced stages for years. I'd go and have dinner with her and then, on the way home, hit a drive through for a double burger and fries. Because it stopped there they considered it emotional eating not BED. But they didn't get that it stopped there because I have a very stressful job and I had to go to bed and sleep so I could get up at 5:30 the next morning and start it all over again. If I had been a person who could have gone home and continued eating, I'm absolutely certain I would have.

The fact that I was so fat was the answer to me. I ate very healthy and sane most of the time EXCEPT these episodes. Now I will say that I've learned since this surgery that I have a very poor metabolism. But even with a great one, I would have still been 75 pounds overweight.

So here's the good news. I worried about this. Without the diagnosis, I could not get counciling. It was really my only pre-surgery worry. Well, I'm now almost 5 months out and it's been the biggest and best surprise of this whole ride. I seem to no longer need to binge. Others talk about getting a lack of hunger. Well, I didn't get that. But I'm happy to have my hunger and NOT have a need to binge.

Don't get me wrong, there are days when I wish I could hope into a time caspule and go back for one more food party. But it passes pretty fast.

Especially for anyone reading this who has not yet had the surgery, you have to know how bad this is for you Is it really bad, or just something you occasionall resort to? And how much will your life change after you lose some weight? I told myself that if I could get through the first 6 months I'd make it. And I think that's true. I am going to get back to golf next spring. I am going to a social group once a week. I found a alzhiermer's support group I go to that I really enjoy. I'm finding other things that distract me from wanting to use food. Ask yourself these questions and considering getting some things that will make you happy lined up now. No one breaks habits, as our society thinks. We exchange them. So knowing you have to give up BED, my best advice is to try and find something else you can get pleasure from. You can't go your entire life without doing something to create a relaxed, fun feeling in your life. There are just other ways than food.

Good luck!

I am not necessarily a binge eater, I am a stress eater. And since life is basically one big stress ball for me, hence I suffered from morbid obesity.

On the other hand, the sleeve has given me a tool to control my eating. Trust me, further out you just will not be able to binge eat without causing your self major discomfort. Not fun!!! Not even tolerable.

Last Monday at work we started switching to a new electronic medical record integrating into a huge system. This week has been disastrous. The system is difficult to learn (I am not computer stupid) and the clinic is very busy, meaning everyone is behind and we were all at work late last night (I was the first one to leave at 6:45). Well, on the way out the door, I ate about 6 tortilla chips completely because I was stressed to the max. Five months ago, that would have been one bite. Yesterday, on the way home my tummy was very uncomfortable. Fortunately the chips went on down because they are a slider, but my frustration was relieved and this morning I had lost another 1.5 lbs this week.

Don't beat yourself up if you slip (allow yourself that only rarely). It will NOT defeat you in your journey to your goal.

Good luck and wishes for a happy and healthy journey...Kathe

OK...I hope this works. I copied this post from one of my previous posts today because it is basically about the same thing. If I were you, I would go ahead and pursue the sleeve and deal with my eating problems while getting healthier. I am also diabetic and am much improved since losing a total of 90 lbs. I still have 50 to go. I simply cannot put as much food in my stomach as before and my emotional eating is over before I can do the damage.

I hope this helps a little. I just wish everyone who considers the sleeve could realize what a wonderful tool it is for fighting the battle we have all fought. It is not the total "cure" just because we are all who we are. Just give yourself every opportunity to be the best you can be. Best wishes and keep us posted on your progress. God bless you...Kathe

By the way, from your name I am assuming you are from Oklahoma. Is that a safe assumption? I am from OK and proud of it!!

Go, Sooner and Pokes!!! (I have a degrees from both universities, so I am bi-team. :)

Kathe