Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going for my first fill on Wed...

Well, I'm officially having no restriction at all, anything that I had is now gone and I can eat anything and everything. I'm going for my first fill on Wed with my fam doc (God help us both, she's never even heard of the band) and I'm PRAYING I'll have some restriction. Am I supposed to be fasting for fills? What am I supposed to eat after the fill on the same day? How much did everyone receive on their first fills and was it enough? I have a Mid-band. I ate about half a bean and salsa salad at Taco Time at lunch and I ate about 1/3 of the shell (I should have just ordered it without the damn shell)...I shouldn't have done that, I feel guilty now. By the way, they changed the salads at Taco Time, they're no longer small, they're pretty big, so I ate a lot.

Thanks everyone

Hi Buffie, Dr. Cobourn says no food or Water 2 hrs before, and only water for 2 hours after. Then just liquids and mushies for a day or two. If you don't mind me asking why is your family doc doing your fills?

Hey Buffie....

My doc (TLBC in Toronto) says basically the same as what Cloe said....but that you can start on solid food the next day (as tolerated). Bring a bottle of Water and make sure after you get your fill that you are able to drink it before leaving. You should be able to drink the whole bottle in about 20 mins.

I also have the midband....my doc (Joffe and Yau) said that with the midbands, he gives everyone 5ccs for their first fill unless they are already feeling some restriction; if so he gives them 4 or 4.5 ccs.

Make sure that, after putting the fill in, the doc takes it back out again to make sure there is no blood in the syringe....that way he/she will know for sure that she "got it" and isn't merely squirting the saline somewhere other than your port. That happened to me and for the first 6 weeks, they all though I had 7 ccs (I had 5 the first fill and 2 a week later) when, in fact, I only had 2 ccs because the first 5 didn't actually go IN!!! Very frustrating indeed.....so be sure to check!

Good luck.

Like Cloe, I'm also interested as to why your family doc is doing it.

(I'll guess, cause Toronto's too far away... and.... it's too busy in Calgary with the Stampede, to go there? haha)

(she's in Saskatchewan!)

(I'll guess, cause Toronto's too far away... and.... it's too busy in Calgary with the Stampede, to go there? haha)

(she's in Saskatchewan!)

Oooooooh!!! Well, THAT explains it then!!! LOL

My surgeon has no pre-fill requirements. After the fill I had to drink 4 oz of Water at a normal pace and was instructed to do full fluids for a day, soft foods for the next day and then progress to solids.

Like Mandi said, I'm in SK, I'm hoping my fam doc can handle my fills. If not I'll go to Edmonton I guess.

So 5 cc for the first fill, got it.

Thanks everyone, y'all are great. I've been eating like the old days for the past 4 days and I feel so ashamed...thank God every day is a new start. I hope my fill helps.

I'm gonna ask how you know you need a fill. I have gone from eating one egg every morning to two and I'm not sure if that's to much. I haven't lost but one pound this week and i'm kinda worried if i'm eating too much. Can someone help me? When I snack, I snack on boiled eggs and can eat two, is that too much. I was just banded on June 19th 06 and I only eat three meals a day but I eat one snack. I just don't know?

HELP!!!!

This is what my surgeon says....You should eat if your hungry, but do not stuff yourself. The band should take care of quantity, you look after quality. That some people eat 1/2 cup portions, some don't. You should lose about 1-3 pound on average per week, if you don't you may need a fill. Hope that helps.

I can eat anything and great quantities, that's how I know I need my first fill *sigh

Mandi, my family doctor is going to do here in S'toon. I guess I should emphasize the word TRY.

Hey Buffie,

Who would you be seeing in Edmonton?

Yeah, I'm curious, too. I live in Northern Alberta. (about 5 hours from Edmonton) and I was told that Calgary was where I would have to go for fills. Cow-town is about 8 hrs away.

I know there are at least 3 Dr.s in Edmonton, but my Dr did not give me any Edmonton options. Boo-urns!

Hi Buffie, I think you'll find that after your fill you'll be okay. I was eating like crazy too before my fill. I actually gained about 6 pounds, but it fell off quick after the fill. Good Luck!!

HI everyone. My fill went well, she got it right away. It felt weird and tight for the day, but now I'm ready for another fill. I have 4 cc now and I want 3 more when I go tomorrow for another fill. I'll have to have her withdraw all the Fluid to make sure there's 4 cc in there now. I'm not really having much restriction, GOD I HOPE THIS STARTS TO WORK WITH ME...I'm getting discouraged. If I didn't have scars, I wouldn't even know I've had the surgery. I can still eat anything and everything. I want to be able to eat 1/2 cup to a cup of food and feel good for a few hours.

I have a question about fills, does anyone know what the maximum fill amount should be for a 10 cc band? I've called Kathy twice in Toronto and no call back yet, I'm going tomorrow for another fill and I'm not sure how much to have put in. Is 7 cc too much?

How is everyone else doing?