Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's official - being able to "eat" did not make everything wonderful!

So I got some real food yesterday. Tried scrambled egg at lunch and mixed some pouch tyson chicken with light mayo for chicken salad and had it with a few wheat thins. Today I have had a half of a cheese stick.

3 days ago or so I started having this nasty "taste" in my mouth, when I burp, just randomly like gagging when brushing my teeth and coming up with nasty phlegm, throwing up a bit in my mouth, etc. At first I struggled as to how to describe the smell or taste - but I have it now - like raw sewage. You know the smell you have when I drain backs up or you drive by the sewer plant? Yeah my body is producing this. I guess this is acid - I have no idea and consensus doesn't seem to be able to agree what it is. At first I thought maybe ketosis until I came across someone who said they "loved how their mouth tastes" while in ketosis. It would take a sick individual to love this. Dr says take ppi at night instead. Pretty sure I will taking one 2x a day and see what that does.

Was really hoping throwing some food in the mix might calm things down and also give me some Protein because the shakes make me want to hurl. Tried the unjury chicken last night - not bad for the first 4 ounces, had to choke down the last 4. My heart was racing by the time I was done. Well no wonder with 780 sodium UGH.

My hope was pinned on real food for so many reasons. Well I am allowed 20-30 mins to eat and let me tell ya that just is hard to do! I wanted to really get the whole cheese stick down today but I had to push it to get the 1/2 of it. If I could just take a little swig to get those tiny pieces of chewed up unflavored yuck left in my mouth it would be better. So then I sleep for 30 mins til I'm allowed to drink :(

I am so sad!

I should mention -

I never had acid before EVER.

Make sure you are taking the PPI on a completely empty stomach. 1 hour before eating, or 2-3 hours after eating. Most of them do take time to build up in our systems for maximum efficacy.

I'm sorry you are suffering, and hope you get some relief soon. Maybe check with your doc about using Gaviscon until the PPI kicks in fully.

Like no Water? Or can I have my Water while waiting? I just started food of any sort yesterday so the only thing that would have been in my stomach would be the water. Today I ate about 2 hours later. Yesterday morning it was 4 hours later easily. Definitely 2 hours after I ate last night too. Is gaviscon nasty liquid? I guess I would be afraid that would make me sick and gag?

Make sure you are taking the PPI on a completely empty stomach. 1 hour before eating, or 2-3 hours after eating. Most of them do take time to build up in our systems for maximum efficacy.

I'm sorry you are suffering, and hope you get some relief soon. Maybe check with your doc about using Gaviscon until the PPI kicks in fully.

Like no Water? Or can I have my Water while waiting? I just started food of any sort yesterday so the only thing that would have been in my stomach would be the water. Today I ate about 2 hours later. Yesterday morning it was 4 hours later easily. Definitely 2 hours after I ate last night too. Is gaviscon nasty liquid? I guess I would be afraid that would make me sick and gag?

Water and liquids are fine. I take mine, and start downing coffee/water/tea whatever liquid I want. I'm sure I read that some PPIs take 7-14 days to fully kick in. Prilosec took about 10-12 days to fully kick in for me.

Gaviscon comes in liquid and chewables. I'm not sure about tablets/capsules. I don't find Gaviscon horrible, but tastes/preferences are individualized kind of like the Protein drinks/shakes or chewable Vitamins.

Do you think it's possible my Vitamins are doing this?

Do you think it's possible my Vitamins are doing this?

Are you taking them on an empty stomach?? Early out, I had to take my Vitamins right after a meal or I'd get the icky taste in my mouth or the little vitaminy tasty burps.

usually empty stomach because I have to have a drink after them to wash the chalkiness down. If it was Vitamin flavored burps it would be good - but alas it is sewage burps.

usually empty stomach because I have to have a drink after them to wash the chalkiness down. If it was Vitamin flavored burps it would be good - but alas it is sewage burps.

Can you have yogurt yet??? I actually would chew up the Vitamin, and then eat some yogurt, wait the 30 minutes and then start drinking.

Oh, Me....I'm sad you're sad :( I have been watching and 'listening' to you for a while and I remember when you were SO EXCITED to have your surgery and so hopeful. Please don't let this get you down....you know it's temporary until your tummy adjusts....weeks of healing. And, yes, Tiffy is right, most PPI's take up to a week to start really working. The Vitamin possibility definitely sounds like it could be it, too.

Then again, maybe it's just lack of our normal volume of food. I remember many, many, many days of dieting when my body was hungry and I would get a really, really weird taste in my mouth from my empty tummy. And it hadn't even been cut up! Maybe that is it....just your body adjusting. I'm sure it's temporary and in two weeks this annoyance will all be gone! Hang in there, Sunshine....

Hi Tiffykins, i have a questiona bout Prilosec. On my box, it says to take for only 14 days and to wait months before taking another dose. But i read here how some people take it everyday. Are you on it everydayy and have been on it?

Water and liquids are fine. I take mine, and start downing coffee/water/tea whatever liquid I want. I'm sure I read that some PPIs take 7-14 days to fully kick in. Prilosec took about 10-12 days to fully kick in for me.

Gaviscon comes in liquid and chewables. I'm not sure about tablets/capsules. I don't find Gaviscon horrible, but tastes/preferences are individualized kind of like the Protein drinks/shakes or chewable Vitamins.

MeMe, I had the same thing. I am convinced it was ketosis. I have read a few articles supporting this. I hated eating anything because after about 15 chews, it tasted like $4!+. I talked to my NUT about this and she agreed it could very well be ketosis and encouraged me to increase my carbs to get out of the ketosis state. I did this by eating lentil, ham, veggie Soup pureed. It went down nicely and after about 4 days, I don't have that taste in my mouth anymore.

I used to be on PPIs, but I had a hiatal hernia repaired during surgery and haven't had acid issues since.

I've been on the ppi since day of surgery so 16 days. I do think it seems a little better after taking two yesterday so I will do the same today and see how that is tomorrow. If it really does seem to help I will call the nurse and see if I can keep it that way for a while. I believe I am doing re-fried Beans and cheese for dinner, missed lunch completely, having work done on the house and struggling with my fluids today. Looks like just 2 meals. Even ended up taking my Vitamins the first time kind of late. Boo for today. Haven't had a shower in the house since last Thursday - running to my moms. Maybe it is all stress related. I can only pray something fixes it SOOON!!!

Hi Tiffykins, i have a questiona bout Prilosec. On my box, it says to take for only 14 days and to wait months before taking another dose. But i read here how some people take it everyday. Are you on it everydayy and have been on it?

Those directions are (from my understanding) not for therapeutic dosing. It's for people who suffer from occasional heartburn. I'm assuming you're talking about OTC and not RX Prilosec.

The regulations are different for drugs that make it OTC status so I'm going to say that is the reasoning why that is on the boxes.

I've been on a daily PPI since being around 6 weeks, so over 2 years I've popped a PPI. Up until January of this year, I was on Prilosec 20mg RX once daily. I had a bad case of gastritis was switched to Nexium 40mg once daily, put on Carafate 4 times days for a week, and then got pregnant. Prilosec is not allowed in pregnancy so I have stayed on Nexium through the pregnancy, and will probably continue the PPI once Tatum arrives. I will probably switch back too Prilosec because that RX is free for me (on base through the military), and Nexium is filled through our mail order system, and while it's super cheap, free is always better LOL.

I should mention -

I never had acid before EVER.

Me neither. But the first 3 weeks back on real food it was wicked bad. For me, it calmed pretty fast. Sound a lot like what you are describing. The worst was waking a couple of night with the ick taste in my mouth.

I noticed my boyfriend backed away from the kisses for a while. Didn't blame him a bit.