Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is next tuesday and I'm getting a little nervous about them starting an iv. Even if I drink a ton of Water they sometimes have a hard time taking blood from me. So at midnight I have to stop eating and drinking and I don't check in til 11 am. I had my tonsils out a few years ago and they almost canceled because they couldnt get a vein eventually the anesthesiologist came in and got one in my neck. Does anyone else have small, deep veins? And what did they do to get a vein?

Mine are small AND they like to roll before they collapse. After years of playing "catch me if you can" and being left bruised to the point of looking like an addict, I learned that the tops of my hands are the best place to hit a vein. It's a little more painful but I'd rather that than literally 20 pokes. I learned to be kind but firm with the techs in my statement that blood and I.V.s only come from my hands. I feel your pain. Getting the IV was one of the most stressful parts of my vsg.

Also, hydration does play a role especially consistent hydration over a long period (not just chugging the night before). I would suggest staying really well hydrated from now until midnight the night before.

Best of luck!

Amanda

my veins are small also, collapse when touched and roll, its been awful trying to get blood from me, i have to do the same, just show them my wrist and say 'this is it'. I have thyroid disease which is why i decided to have the surgery and i was having bloodwork every month, they busted a lot of veins because the tech thinks they know better than myself. After barfing on ones shoes after 10 minutes of digging they listen to me every time now lol. Just be up front and let them know. If you have to have more bloodwork tell them to use a butterfly needle it made all the difference for me!

Thanks! Those are both great suggestions. I also went to the nurse practitioner today and I asked her about it, she said if it comes down to it they will put me to sleep and put in a central line, but at least I would be asleep! Thanks again!

I told the anethesiologist before the surgery that I was a difficult stick, came close to passing out the one other time I had an IV, blood work is a struggle etc. He told me they give me a pill to relax me before taking me back to surgery and I wouldn't even know when they were sticking me. Well it must have been a struggle because I was bruised in several spots besides where the actual IV was but I have no recollection of any of it. Dr. Aceves was my doctor.

I'm a hard stick too. The center of my left arm has 1 good vein, it's deep but if they hit it right, I get lucky.lol Most techs/nurses do the 2 strikes their out and they try someone else. I'm just so used to it, I've dealt with it for 40 years. Pump your fist real good,,I was told I needed to lift weights and work up the forearm more.

I've been worried about this too. I have small deep veins that roll. I'm getting all the tests done the day before while I can still drink and not be all day without anything to drink after flying to San Diego from Kansas City.

Second the back of the hand for IVs. I have small veins too and that's where they put mine for this and for another operation I had many moons ago when I broke my ankle.

Lynda

I got sleeved two days ago and they couldn't find my vein in Pre op. So they stopped trying. They rolled me into the operating room and gave me some gas. I was out of it in 10 seconds. Then they gave me an iv in top of my hand.

Phat girl, I actually kind of wish they would do that to me too, I just hate them fishing for one, especially since I will already be nervous

You are the patient and can control what happens to your body. If it is difficult to hit a vein and you have suffered from multiple sticks before, just kindly tell the nurse about your experience and ask for the anesthesiologist to do it after you are put to sleep. You are the one in control of the situation. The nurses may not like it and may fuss, but stick to your guns. If I were in your situation, I would only let the anesthesiologist stick me. They have the most experience with difficult sticks. I should know - I work for one!

I am a nurse, and a difficult stick myself. All the above suggestions are good ones but I have one more that I find on top of increasing my Fluid intake helps most. Keep warm! I mean, if need be exercise before going into the hospital, anything to keep the blood pumping and the body warm. They can usually get the back of my hand If I've ran it under warm Water for several minutes while pumping my fist. Or, they should have heating packs available to place on your hand to get it warm and the veins to plump up. If I am cold they might as well forget about getting a successful stick on me. I wish you luck!