Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had surgery in June of 2010 - I could eat soooo little afterwards, and I mean tiny amounts! Now, just in the past four months, I am eating more. I can still only eat a half cup of cottage cheese and about an eighth cup of pineapple for Breakfast, but a few months ago I would not have been able to add the fruit. I can eat several oz of meat along with a fourth cup of side veggies. In my mind I KNOW this is still very little compared to pre-op, but compared to five months ago, it is a lot. My fear is I'll be able to eat more and more. Is my sleeve stretching or is this normal??!! The PA at the doctor's office saw me at one year out, she said they don't ever want me to eat more than 1.5 cups of food. I cannot imagine EVER eating that amount at one sitting....but will I? If so, is my fear of re-gaining rational or not??!!! Anybody this far out that is experiencing the same thing/feelings...or maybe someone who have been here already!!!

Hiya NtvTxn,

To be honest it doesn't 'sound' too bad... I am 13mths out and can eat between 5-7oz of food depending on the density. I remember reading your posts before and thinking that you ate very little, volume wise. I wouldn't worry too much, I know easier said than done, but 1/2 a cup is still a very SMall portion of food/meal.

I am happy with my volume now because I can enjoy my food without the quantity... hope you are ok!

So, this is just my experience, and I went through the same thing at around the same time.

Our transit time changes around the year mark or at least this is what I've been able to gather from talking to those that went before me. I don't know why or how to explain it, but I could see that mushy foods went through faster which led to being able to eat a little more. 1/4 cup is a mere 2oz, BUT I understand your fears. I had them too.

Now, the one thing I can say is that I still max out at about 3-5oz of dense Protein which is the same that I was eating at 8-9 months post-op. But, if I add any type of food lube, be it steak sauce, gravy, even say to take a bite of meat, then eat a bite of potatoes, or other soft veggies, I can fit in a bit more. Which I'll be honest is kind of nice. I mean I always hated to eat just one thing on my plate, and I did it for a very long, long time because that was my new habit and way of eating. But, it is nice to have a few bites of meat, and then a few bites of green Beans, and/or potatoes.

I still do not experience physical hunger, but I noticed that food moves out faster than it did the first 6 months which allows more food to be ingested.

Your stomach will reach a max capacity. There are things that effect transit time, and how fast the moves out or hangs around in there.

Also, my slider foods have changed dramatically.

NTVTXN - You are absolutely fine. Please don't worry. Just keep eating the right things (90% of the time) and you will be able to maintain.

Where I can falter is popcorn, chips, and alcohol. They go down so easily - especially when combined. If you kept eating the little amount you did a few months ago, you would continue to lose. From what you've said before, you are really happy with your body now. Your sleeve has matured, but it's still your tool. You can do this!

PM me if you need any encouragement at any time.

I'm almost at a year (in one week - eek!) -- I can definitely eat at least 1/2 cup of dense Protein with a little veggies (maybe 2 or 3 bites) thrown in. It's definitely more than I could eat even 6 weeks ago. Don't know what changed, but it's interesting to note what Tiff said. I still am not eating nearly the amount of food I *think* I can eat (for example, when I teach, I eat the cafeteria food -- salad, meat, -- just the good stuff -- BUT I always take 3 to 4 times the amount of food I can actually eat. Very frustrating because I'm throwing away good food that someone else could have eaten!)

About 6 weeks ago I could only eat 3 ounces at any one time. Now I'm at about 5 ounces. Still a little bit, but MUCH more than I used to.

I think if we keep making good food choices, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. The key is good food wink.gif -- sigh.